Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wee Thump
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 pm 

Time for my yearly run of my favorite trail - Wee Thump!

Date: Saturday, March 22.

If the trail is the same as in the past, there are a few sections that rate a 2, but most of the trail is pretty mellow. In any event, it is stock friendly. When I pre-run the trail, I'll post an update if anything has changed. I don't know when I'll be pre-running it yet.

Meet at 8:30 at the Terrible's/McDonalds at the top of the hill on highway 95 through Searchlight. I'm going to park on the far south edge of the parking lot, to keep out of traffic. Plus, there will be the most parking along that edge. Watch for big rigs coming and going.

We'll roll out at 9:00AM. We'll be taking Route 164 toward Nipton, and leaving this road for the dirt a few miles outside of Searchlight.

Here's my standard write-up for the trail:

The trail heads through a beautiful forest of large Joshua Trees. Part of this forest, though not the part we're going through, is officially called the Wee Thump Joshua Tree Wilderness Area. Wee Thump is Yuman for “ancient ones” , and it refers to the ancient Joshua Trees of the area. We'll take a brief detour from the main trail to see some petroglyphs, and stop to inspect an old cattle corral that has a curious water tank. The trail eventually dips down into a wash that winds its way through the Highland Mountain Range. We'll stop at Cow Spring, where there are some old stone walls/foundations, and a spring that may have a bit of water. We'll also take a side trip up to a very large guzzler maintained for Bighorn Sheep. This site overlooks a rather stunning dropoff. Eventually, we'll end up on a powerline crossroad. Folks can either hoof it from there back to Route 95 north of Searchlight, or, continue on the dirt awhile longer. The ever-more-adventurous folks can even hook up with Beer Bottle Pass if they want (if this is still open - I've heard rumors it is not). However, the official run will end at the site of two impressive solar power stations: Nevada Solar One, and Copper Mountain Solar.

Here are a couple of websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_powe ... ave_Desert
http://www.birdandhike.com/Wilderness/W ... eThump.htm

Post subject: Re: Wee Thump
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm 

Depending on how my recovery is going, as I am hopefully having back surgery before then, I'll go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 pm 

Wee Thump sounds like a fun trail. A stock '85 4Runner would love to join. It has been awhile since we have done this. Last fun-run was the Bowl/Matterhorn Trail. Please let us know what we need to do. Thanks! Walter & Gloria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:59 pm 

4Runner85w, all you need to do is show up! :)

Club runs are stock friendly. There's information elsewhere on the message board about suggested gear, membership prices, and so forth, so I won't bother re-posting it all here.

Basically, this is a friendly, helpful, fun group of people, and we love to have new folks join us!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 pm 

I pre-ran the trail today, and it's in great shape. There are a few brief spots that are at least a 2, perhaps pushing close to a 2.5, but the whole run is still definitely stock-friendly.

If we have time, we may stop at the pet cemetery. Didn't know there was a pet cemetery? A;ll the more reason to come! It's been there a long time - some of the grave markers are from the early 60s, and there are probably ones earlier than that. Sadly, there are now big signs posted there, stating. 'It's illegal to bury animals on public land". Plus, the Boulder City bypass will eventually head that a-way, and the whole area may disappear. So, see it while you can!

If you use Google Earth, the cemetery is at: 35° 54.871'N, 114° 55.046'W.

As I mentioned on the last club run, the Wee Thump run may not always be do-able. A recent report suggests that dust from that area is a lung hazard. As we know, jeep trails have been closed before, due to dust. Here's the report:

https://www.soils.org/publications/sssaj/pdfs/77/6/2192

And here's more info:

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/AirQ ... evada.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am 

Thanks for the quick response. We have read through the message boards and everything is very straight forward. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. We are excited to participate in this fun-run. How long will we be out on the trail? -Walter&Gloria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:07 pm 

Plan for all day.... :wink: Just in case someone has an issue we need to address.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:31 pm 

I'll be there. This is one of my favorite runs :!:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:14 pm 

For those that may be interested... :roll: Bob, Shirley, Chris and I along with some others, will be "dry camping" for this run. The camp site is about 8.2 miles West of Searchlight on the Nipton Road, on the North side. We'll be setting up on Friday and going home Sunday. We always have a lot of fun sitting around the campfire in the evening, with friends. If anyone is interested and has a tent, camper, or other RV, come on out. If anyone has any questions, send me a P.M. :D

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm 

For any of you interested, or worried, about the asbestos issue, I chatted with a colleague of mine who is involved with the study, and who lives in Boulder City. She said that there are probably only two worries. One is folks living in Bounder City who have outcroppings of the rock in right in their yards. The other are people who spend a lot of time in the thick of the dust out there, such as folks riding ATVs without masks.

Going out for a jeep run every now and then shouldn't be a problem.

In my opinion, this could still become an issue for folks who want to close down trails. I couldn't fail to notice that one of the photos in the report showed a dust plume from a vehicle.

Sooo... all the more reason to come out and enjoy while you can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:43 pm 

Well surgery still isn't scheduled /sigh. So money permitting I'll be there. Trying to save up ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 pm 

Things have changed and Chris and I will on this run, but will not be camping. :( Hope to see you there. :D

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 pm 

Jeff and Joanne are looking forward to the day run.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:06 pm 

Looks like Gretamae the Dog is well enough to make a run, so we three will probably be there. :D :lol: :mrgreen:

2020 JLU Rubicon
33" BFG KO2's

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I will miss the run. Need to stay home and work on the Jeep.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next