Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 pm 

Here's the update:

The trail is CURRENTLY club-run-acceptable. There are some spots that rate a 2, meaning stock vehicles may bump and/or scrape a little, but they will get through fine. However, any significant rainfall could drastically change things, and of course, I'll have no way of knowing for sure until we get there.

However, the first section of trail should be fine regardless. It's a graded road - we even saw the grader sitting out there. We can always do the first part, which provides lovely views. We'll be able to make an educated guess as to whether or not we should try the rest of the trail. If we have to turn around and head back the way we came in - oh well. The scenery will be just as pretty going in that direction.

I am going to make one addition to the trail - thanks to Jim and Alan's insistence on the pre-run. We took a jog down to the old railroad 'town' of Carp. Lots to explore there - including the river. This will add about 20 miles or so to the trip, but should be worthwhile, especially if we can't do the rougher sections. There's a graded road to Carp.

Plan on this being a long day. We got back on the highway just a little before dark. The meeting time and place listed below haven't changed. There is a new gas station in Moapa/Glendale, but it doesn't have nearly as much parking. It is, however, a good place to stop afterwards if you need to replenish your fuel tank, or your stomach. :D

Hope to see you there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMONG THE MORMONS

Date: Saturday September 14. We haven't done this run since 2011.

Meet at 9:00 at the Moapa Paiute Travel Plaza, Exit 75 on I15, intersection of I15 and State Route 168, which is the Valley of Fire Highway. We'll roll out at 9:30.

We'll head up the highway and turn off at the Carp Elgin Exit, which I believe is Exit 100. We'll go under the highway, then take a rough paved road along the other side of the highway for a short distance until heading north on the dirt for the Mormon Mountains. The trail runs on a well-maintained dirt road in the valley between the Mormon Mountains on the left, and the East Mormon Mountains on the right.

Eventually, we'll pass to the other side of the East Mormon Mts, near Jumbled Mountain. The road gets rougher, but it used to be no more than a 1.5. I will update this if necessary after a pre-run. The trail goes back down alongside the east flank of the East Mormon Mts., ending up at a truck parking spot on the highway, about 15 miles beyond the Carp Elgin Exit where we started.

The run promises excellent scenery of mountains, some petroglyphs, a couple of springs (no guarantee of water, though), a hunter's cabin, an old mine with the remnants of well-built stone houses, and probably some rangy cows. This is a great introduction to the area if you've never been there. Many, many other roads in this area are just begging to be explored on future trips. This will be an all-day affair. Hope to see you there.

Last edited by Dawn Nelson on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Among The Mormons
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm 

Have you done a pre-run because we have gotten some good storms in that area the last few weeks?
I passed this thread on to the Jeep club in Mesquite so there might be a few interested from up north.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:09 pm 

Thanks for passing the word along!

The pre-run will be occurring this weekend, so stay tuned...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:17 pm 

When is the Pre-Run? I wouldn't mind testing out my new 4x4.

Glen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 pm 

Oh, ok. I wasn't going to post the pre-run, lest everyone show up for that, and not come on the actual run. :lol:

The other thing about a pre-run is there's no guarantee it will be stock friendly. No guarantee of anything, actually. Who knows what we might find? It could be a total wash-out, literally and figuratively. Or, we could end up exploring something else along the way. Or we could get lost and eaten by wolves.

But, so long as folks know that this is NOT a sanctioned, definitely-stock-friendly run, here's the details for the pre-run. (Did I scare everyone off?) :twisted:

The meeting place is still the Travel Plaza. We're meeting at 10:00 on Saturday the 7th, and rolling out asap after that. If everyone that I think is coming is there by 10, or 10:05, or whatever, we leave.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 pm 

I'll be there at 10am. I want to test out my new ride. I hope we don't get eaten by wolves.....

Glen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 pm 

I'd like to make the pre-run as well, so I'll see you in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 pm 

I'll see everyone on Sat. Glad no one was eaten :!:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:33 pm 

No mandatory overtime this week. Plan on getting to Moapa Truck Stop, Firework Stand and Breakfast Burrito Diner in morning. See ya.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 pm 

I will be there. Hopefully no charging cows (over protecting their young) by the cabin, like we saw a couple years ago. Rauol

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]