Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 pm 

tim and sandy are not going to make it this time we are doing a run on the other side of the hiway w/ the landcruisers.

sill working on the Gold butte run looks like April though.

ARB bumper, X9, IPFxsd900, DeMello sliders, AP rear plate bumper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:31 pm 

Lotsa fun today in unfamiliar terrain! Thanks Tom!

Here are some pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/577 ... =community

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:04 pm 

What an awesome maiden voyage in my Grand Cherokee...I can get use to that. I did have to change my style of driving a bit, not having the belly clearance of my TJ, but all-in-all, I am really impressed with the Grand and it's off road capabilities. I'm sure it will be out on the Club Runs again.

Thanks for a great day in the dirt, Tom. It was a lot of fun.

Here's a link to my Desert Photos captured on the Club Run: http://jeepinjoe.smugmug.com/Landscapes ... 6692_i9MJo

And of course, pics of the run (Jeeps and people pics) can be seen when you click the pic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:29 pm 

Thanks Tom ! It was so nice to get out again and see some new places.. We need to find more places we haven't been before. CJ & I had a great time,, good weather and good friends.. I hope I can do more..

Here's what I saw ,, Click here >> Image Hope you enjoy.. Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 pm 

Tom: Thanks for a very good day in the dirt and enjoyed having you at our cook-outs and breakfast. Too bad it was so cold.Thanks to your co-pilots on your pre-run too.

Frank and Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 pm 

I want to thank everyone for coming and I hope you had as good a time as I did.
Despite the wind!

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 pm 

Thank you Tom we had a great time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:13 pm 

Gisele and I had a great time... It was great to meet everyone and sorry we ended up missing the cookout. We enjoyed the day a lot though, and the scenery was spectacular. You can definitely plan on seeing us at some of your runs in the coming months.

Warm regards,

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm 

Okay, here's the info on the last ranch we saw.

From Harry Reid's "Searchlight" book:

Quote:
The Las Vegas newspaper during this period (1947) took note of of the fact that Rose McDonald, nearing her eightieth year, had come to to town in her old car, traveling from Spirit Mountain, fifteen miles over very poor dirt roads, to get her monthly supplies. McDonald was well known. In the mid-1930's, shortly after she was widowed, two men worked her mining claim without her permission, stealing her ore. When she asked them to leave, they responded, "No, woman". She went home, came back to the mine with her rifle, and killed both of the claim jumpers, then loaded the bodies into her car and brought them into Searchlight, where she was arrested. Her trial for murder was the first held in Las Vegas's new courthouse. She was acquitted.

I remembered some of the facts wrong, as I thought she killed a husband in AZ. Guess I'm getting old and can't remember my facts on the West's women of history well :lol: It's also been said the only time she wore a dress was at her trial.

Anyway, the guy (Bob) whom I talked about as knowing her, taken from the ghosttowns.com forum:

Quote:
I was about 4 years old when Rosie was laid to rest. She used to have a really nice headstone. BTW: I think I was the only sober person at that funeral and good old Irish Wake. I was also the only person under about 40.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm thinking I was 4 or , maybe 6 when she passed. That would make it about 1951 or 52. I kinda thought the other grave was her last Husband (who I thought passed during before her) My parents were very close friends and we looked after the place until after she passed. She had water piped down from up the canyon toward the communication site (Not under pressure) and I'd walk the line with my dad almost every weekend looking for leaks. We rap the old rusted iron pipe with cut pieces of inner tube, then using bailing wire, repair the leaks. Seems like there were always one or two and if you didn't tend to them, soon what little water wouldn't make it to her house. saw my first cougar walking up that canyon checking the pipes for leaks.

She had some diggings (mine) there but it had played out long before she passed.

I think it was a couple years after she passed as my parents tried to secure title but determined that they could patent the land. BTW: The insulation in the new house is asbestos so the new cement floored house is not a good place to stir up dust or spend the night. I could be off by a few years but I remember going there in the old Hudson Hornet and my folks bought a new Mercury wagon about 1954.

There were some other postings from him on her, but I can't find them for some reason, probably lost from the forums last update.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:34 pm 

Cool stuff Gary. Thanks!

"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 am 

What a great run! We really enjoyed this one. Thanks Tom. The campout was fun - but oh so very cold. It has taken me a week to recover. :roll: Great photos everyone. Chris

Here is a link to the ones I took:

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:06 am 

Great photos Chris. Thanks a lot!

"If I only had a brain"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3