Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:35 pm 
My wife and I had a really fun time so we are going back up to explore a little more,hope some peeps can make it!!!
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=60305

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:44 am 

If you know where the turn off is, you can take the trail to Grapevine and Grassy Springs from Kyle Canyon Rd, and it comes out by the turn off from Angel Peak Road to the Lucky Strike Mine Camp. Better scenery than the road from 95. Plus you'll likely see big game and wild horses at Grassy. As far as the site goes, you can't go much past the actual "camp" site in a vehicle. The main road though it goes up and above the camp to more mines that have since been sealed off. It's got a few switch backs, and can likely be done to the top in a competent 4X, but there's not much really to see.

The actual Lucky Strike Mine is only doable in an 4X ATV or hiking. I went back as far as I could and it's heavily over grown and extremely washed out. There's actually two different Lucky Strike sites up there. The camp has mines around it, and is often referred to as the main shafts, but it's not. The camp is where the cabin ruins and mining equipement are.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 pm 
How far of a hike is it to get to the mines and cabins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:06 pm 

The camp is accessible by vehicle. It's just how far past that you want to go that is the question. Once in the "camp", the road to the west goes to more mines, and is the one I feel is a good challenge, but for not much to see. I hiked it since I was told about thing that remained in the mines, only to find them freshly collapsed by the Mine Authority. There's another road to the north west that I have yet to explore, only because every time there, it's been snowing or raining, and that road seems a bit "loose" for those conditions. In the camp, there are a few big big horizontal mines that might be worth exploring if you're into that, just be careful.

The actual mine which is south of the camp and closer to the Angel Peak Rd., I have yet to hike all the way too. Mainly due to weather every time there. I'm not sure if there's anythign to see, and don't know anyone that claims there is.

I need to make it back up there as I think I found a road that will take you back into Deer Springs and onto the Lee Canyon Rd. from there, making a neat club run possibly. Unfortunately I'm with out a vehicle right now or I'd join you.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4