Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:47 pm 

Lucy wrote:
JT wrote:
To quote Rob, "It's a Rubicon!" I had forgotten that and I think after a couple of more runs to shake off the rust I'll be ready to hang with a pro like Lucy! :wink:

Geeez...thanks for the compliment, but I still consider myself a rookie! I dragged my diff across something (again), I heard banging I didn't like (again), and I went on my share of go-arounds, too.

I'll need many more years of experience before my skills come close to maximizing my jeep's capabilities. The real inspiration of the day was PHIL - now here is a skilled driver that truly maximized his vehicle's capabilities. I was impressed! Good job, Phil!

I think you've moved up in your capabilities, Lucy. :wink: You should give yourself more credit. I've never seen you drive poorly in any run that you've gone on with me. Your are always right in there with the rest of us. I'm no pro, and I get wigged out on some obstacles, but you seem to just go for it without any anxiety at all. :D

I agree with your comments on Phil. He did a great job!!!

Awesome pictures JT!! Thanks for posting them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:15 pm 

Thanks Lucy & Joe... I was just practicing... I feel that now I'm ready to apply for NBMC status... Being the 'little guy' I have to try so hard !!! Sometimes it seems so far out of reach... :roll: Today I reached a few goals that I thought were only a pipe dream... This little XJ really can do more than I thought... I'm luvin' every chance I get to test it even further... Fear is a good thing, but with good spotting and a real desire to overcome it,,, it changes into a lot of fun !!!! I intend to keep pushing the envelope and trying to keep up with you 'big' guys... I can see that a major build up is in the near future if I intend to keep this XJ... My real dream is an '07 Rubicon 2 door,,,, so,,,, do I build or buy ??? For now I'll keep drivin' and playin',,, and hope I don't break something !!! Phil :mrgreen:

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:23 pm 

You know, Phil, most breakage is done when you are too hard on the skinny pedal. U-joints and axles and the like are more likey to suffer damage. Bigger tires are harder on those components, too. If you learn to have great control on the skinny pedal, you could go a long time without breaking anything. You just got to know when to stop. You did great and so did your XJ.

An 07 Wrangler would be nice. You could install a budget boost and put on 35" tires. I don't know how the axles would hold up, but I hear they are stronger than they have been in the past, especially the Dana 35. Or you could pick up a TJ or LJ that is a couple years old and build it up and probably have less money in it than if you bought new. It seems the first year (really right after you drive it off the lot) you loose so much in depriciation. The money lost that first year could be used for mods and upgrades. You will never get out of it what you put in, but who builds them to sell anyway? Most people build them to play!! :wink: