Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:46 pm 

I haven't seen anyone post on the Camping and Exploring thread I posted for Nov. 15/16, so I may just go camping myself Wednesday night, but I'm wheelin' Wednesday and you're welcome to join me. Anyone who wants to camp out may join me, too. I don't know for sure where I'll camp at but that may depend on the time we get off the trail.

I talked with Outgoin68 and we will be heading to do some trails in the Nelson area. I have a few picked out that are not really hard, but they are tight. I took a friend with a full sized Chevy P/U through it but he got a lot of desert pin stripe.

We will be exploring some mines along the way to Knob Hill. One for sure will be the Ora Plata Mine. Last time I was there the trail was washed out pretty good. That may be the hardest part of the day getting to there, but it is so worth seeing if you haven't seen it before. Then we will take the trail I lead last Saturday to the lake and tour some more mines on the way back to Nelson.

Anyone wanting to go, we will be meeting at the Chevron/Jack-in-the-box at Exit 59 off 93/95/515. It's the Horizon Dr. exit and the gas station sits to the right on the hill as you exit heading south.

So, meeting at 8 am depart at 8:30 at the Chevron off Horizon Dr exit 59 in Henderson.

See you there!!!

Joe OlllllllO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:46 pm 

COUNT ME IN!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:48 pm 

I've got 1!!! (knock, knock, knock, is this thing on?) :lol: Any other takers? We're going to have fun without you if you don't go!!! I'm gonna take lots of pictures and post them on the fourm and make you wish you went. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:54 am 

i am wanting to go...

butttttt

still have 2 dead batteries..(that is no big deal)
i do have a new battery...

i still need to find the cause.
replacing wires and still looking for the short.
fun fun ...
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:27 am 

mac wrote:
i am wanting to go...

butttttt

still have 2 dead batteries..(that is no big deal)
i do have a new battery...

i still need to find the cause.
replacing wires and still looking for the short.
fun fun ...
:wink:

I don't know which is better to be working on...electrical problems or a blown up radiator. I think I'll take the radiator, which is what I have to work on before I can go on Wednesday now. I should have it done either today (Sat) or Monday at the latest. I have the radiator ordered and it should be here this afternoon. Easy in. :wink:

For some odd reason, my electric fan fuse popped and the fan wasn't working. :evil: The gage peaked and I got off the road and shut my Jeep off. I popped the hood and it was bubbling pretty good. Then the top take (plastic) gave out and was spraying the engine with steam and coolant. :shock: I turned to run and as I did, it blew the top of the tank at least 20 feet in the air and it landed 30 feet away. :x I got hosed with coolant, but luckily I didn't get burned.

Here's a pic of my radiator after it blew like "Old Faithful"
The first pic is of all the coolant that soaked the whole front of my Jeep and the rest of the radiator tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Admin

well joe, you just discovered the hard way what the weak spot is with the factory radiator. those plastic crimped on tanks are totally stupid and dangerous. time to switch to a steel tanked 2 or 3 core and never worry about it again. or if you have lots of $$$$ go for the fancy aluminum radiator. glad you didn't get scalded by the hot coolant. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:25 am 

brad/duuuude wrote:
well joe, you just discovered the hard way what the weak spot is with the factory radiator. those plastic crimped on tanks are totally stupid and dangerous. time to switch to a steel tanked 2 or 3 core and never worry about it again. or if you have lots of $$$$ go for the fancy aluminum radiator. glad you didn't get scalded by the hot coolant. 8)

I knew I wanted to upgrade soon just because I've heard how the stock plastic tanks suck. I did get an all metal radiator in a 2 row configuration. I was getting some heating issues after I replaced the mechanical fan with an electric. I thought that by adding an electric fan that moves 3,300 cfm would work better at slower speeds than the stock fan, but I'm beginning to wonder. I still don't know why the electric fan blew a fuse. The wiring is all good and attached where it is suppposed to be, so the only thing I can think that may be the culprit is the adjustable therostat. Maybe something in there? If push comes to shove, I'll just put the stock fan and shroud back on. I would like to get something to hook up to the stock coolant sensor to kick the fan on. I'll have to see if flex-a-lite sells anything for that.

Thanks for your concern, Brad. Hope to see you on the trail soon. You are missed!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

electric fans are nice but you've discovered their weakness, they're elecric. :shock: blow a fuse and no more fan. :cry: i run a steel tanked 2 core radiator, a flowkooler high performance water pump, 180 degree thermostat, 50/50 collant mix, and 1 bottle of water wetter. this mix has worked for me for several summers now with no issues. i also change the coolant every 3 years and put on new hoses. a little anal but i've not had any over-heating issues doing it this way. just my 2 cents worth on the subject. class dismissed. :lol:

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:05 pm 

Joe- at least you won't have any rust issues for a while. Coolant makes a great preventative. And yes, hot coolant burns suck. I have flashbacks every time I drive by the turn off to Sunnyside on the way to Ely :cry:

Brad- Not sure the rate a street vehicle does it in, but FYI in case you don't know, water wetter "burns off". So you have to add it frequently. I'd say twice maybe, like before and after summer for instance. It seems funny it dissipates, but it is alcohol based anyway. In a racing scenario, you have to add it more frequently. IIRC I was doing mine once a month alone. Just checked the tech bulletin and they recommend at least every 15,000 miles.

They also have a "better" Water Wetter that is green in color, IIRC it's "pro" (racing) use or something like that. They don't list it on their site, but I have seen it at National Performance (now called So-Cal Speed Shop) and it's/was the same price.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:49 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
electric fans are nice but you've discovered their weakness, they're elecric. :shock: blow a fuse and no more fan. :cry: i run a steel tanked 2 core radiator, a flowkooler high performance water pump, 180 degree thermostat, 50/50 collant mix, and 1 bottle of water wetter. this mix has worked for me for several summers now with no issues. i also change the coolant every 3 years and put on new hoses. a little anal but i've not had any over-heating issues doing it this way. just my 2 cents worth on the subject. class dismissed. :lol:

I agree on the electric fan issue, but it shouldn't be blowing a fuse. Now that I think of it, if the fan itself quits working while out on the trail, I'd be SOL. Humm, I better rethink this electric fan thing.

I would like to have a Flow Kooler water pump, but they don't seem to make it for the 4.0's in my year. I emailed them and maybe they just haven't updated their website in a while. If they do make them, I'll be sure to buy one. I probably will be changing the thermostat shortly down the road. Actually I might do that tomorrow. I'll get my Jeep up, use straight water so I can get to the parts store for coolant, and while I'm there, I'll get a thermostat, too. I'll let my Jeep cool off and start Sunday morning and change the water out and replace the thermostat. I'll probably get a new belt while I'm at it, too. Keep the old one for a backup. That sounds like a plan!!

Hey Gary, I put some of that "Water Wetter" stuff in my system. I really didn't notice a temp change. Maybe because the gage isn't that accurate and it doesn't show. I'll probably still get some just to help out. Thanks for that tid-bit, too. Every little thing helps.

Thanks!!!! :D

Sorry this thread got off the original subject, but hey, I started it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:27 pm 

Water Wetter won't make much of a difference if you run 50/50 or higher. The reason it was created is in stock car/drag racing, you can't run antifreeze due to it's slickness if spilled on the racing surface. So if you run straight or a diluted mix, it works better than just straight water. It also has some of the good properties of antifreeze. It then got carried over to street vehicles.

But then every little bit helps.

The other thing is most engines are designed to run at or around 200-210 degrees. Some folks think that's too high, but I think the manufacturers know their end pretty well. The thing you want to do is to make sure you can keep your engine in that range. That's where the bigger core radiators and extra electric fans come in.

If you can reverse your fan and have room, maybe putting it on the front to push in stead of pull air at low speeds in conjunction with the stock mechanical fan would be an idea if you are experiencing temp issues on the trail.

Myself, I like the extra electric fan, but depending solely on them I have never felt comfortable with. The few gains they have are not worth the headaches they create when they fail on a daily driver IMO.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:08 pm 

Points well taken, Gary. I was at Checker tonight and didn't find any Water Wetter or any other product that compares. They must have been out or I just didn't see it. I can always add it later.

I wish I had room in front of my radiator for a push fan. The radiator is so small to begin with and there just isn't any more room especially since I have A/C and the conderser is up there.

I do have an external tranny cooler. I moved it down some mostly because I have a hood lock that I couldn't use because it was in the way. Now that it is moved down some, I should get a little more air through the radiator and be able to put on my hood lock. I kinda killed two birds with one stone. :wink:

I was considering going to a 180 degree thermostat, but they didn't have one for my Jeep so I stuck with the 195 degree. I have just water in it and it seems to run at the same temp, but the fan doesn't work as much. That may be a good thing. I'll just have to keep an eye on the fan's fuse. If it blows again, I may just put the stock fan back on and forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:08 pm 

I gotta work, bummer. THen I'm driving with my 18 yr old who is moving to MI on Wednesday night. A nice 30 hour drive should be great in his little Saturn!! :shock: I'll be flying back on Saturday PM so I'll miss the club run as well.

Catch ya later in the month hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:49 am 

speaking from experience, long drives in Saturns are, well, reason for a chiropractic visit. :-)

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:09 am 

Hey Joe, i was just thinking, if you went with the 3-core aftermarket radiator and went back to the stock fan setup, wouldn't that have sufficent cooling for slower speeds? I would have went with an aftermarket radiator for mine but couldn't find anyone that makes one(thats affordable) Hope to see you this weekend and I am sorry you missed burro wash. Your jeep could have streched its legs on it.

Who said Dodge's can't wheel!

Ram 1500 Quad Cab
6" Rough Country lift(with skids)
K&N
NBMC/CC