Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:17 am 

I'm going to be doing a pre-run for a potential October run out of Beatty. This was a run Brad, Bob, Dickie and myself did awhile back, and is pretty much rated 1-1.5. Going to check it out to make sure it is still in good shape (it's a county road so it should be) and most importantly see if there is any wild fire damage that might ruin the trail experience. The trail passes a few mine/spring sites that we can check out. Bring the camera as it's got lots of photo ops. You can see the famous Yucca Mountain range, Mt. Charleston, etc. from the repeater station.

Meet at Lathrop Wells (the turn off to go to Amargosa Valley) at the gas station on the right (on US95) at 8 AM, roll by 8:30. It's 86 miles to there from Vegas, and they have gas if you feel you'll need it. The trail is 21 miles and we'll be hitting the trail "exit" about 10 miles IIRC from Lathrop Wells. We'll come out just North of Beatty (about 2 miles). Lathrop has bathrooms and 2 convenience stores, not much for food, so bring snacks and drinks as we'll stop to eat sometime along the trail. It's 115 miles from Beatty to Vegas, and they have gas, food, lodging, etc. when it comes time to head home.

I'll be running the trail backward (as opposed to the likely Club Run direction) as after I get to Beatty, I want to see about hitting some more mines/ghost towns depending on time constrictions. Rhyolite in the dusk is a big photo op :D I'm not sure of what road conditions will be, I'm expecting easy, but anyone is welcome to join me from there as well or you can head back to Vegas. Or well, where ever you want really :wink:

If you have the "Great Basin SUV Trails" book volume II, this run is the Bare Mountian Circuit, page 31.

Cell is 496-3358.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:20 pm 
Me and the better half would like to join you for the run.

cell
817-501-6187

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:34 am 
:?: Is it going to be a one or two day run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:10 am 

One long day for me. The first part being the pre-run isn't too bad. Depending on how many go and how many stops we make. After that, folks can check out or what ever and make it a shorter day.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4