Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:43 pm 

I know most of the club will be going to Ely for the weekend. For those of you who are, I hope you have a fun weekend. For those who cannot make that run and would like to get out for the weekend a little closer to home, this may be just what you are looking for.

Meeting at the Petro/Speedway at 8 am Saturday 07.08.06 leaving no later than 8:30 am. We will be heading north on I-15 and getting off at exit 100, Carp Road exit with a short stop in Glendale to fill up on fuel.

This is an adventure and I haven't been on these trails for a while, but we'll be heading up to Elgin via Carp and Meadow Valley Roads. From there we will head through Pennsylvania Canyon, the hardest part of the trip that I know of, then on to Ella Mountain. From Ella Mountain we will be heading over to 5 point and possibly toward the area of Beaver Dam State Park. I know that the lake there is gone due to the dam being breeched, but I've alway wanted to go explore that area.

Somewhere between there and heading back to Caliente, we will be finding a place to camp for the night.

Sunday morning, tear down and head into Caliente for fuel and pick up the next trail to the Delamar Valley area and Applewhite Summit. Once we pass Applewhite summit and dump into Bishop Riggs, we will be taking a right and heading to the ghost town of Delamar. Then from there crossing the dry lake bed near the X-15 emergency landing strip and out to SR-93 via Alamo Road.

Sometime in there, we may head off to other places depending on time. ie Cathedral Gorge State Park or any mining areas close by. I suppose we will be back home in the early evening on Sunday.

Those of you who would love to go but not spend two days out on the trail...you can break off and head directly to Caliente after Ella Mountain. You should get home in the early evening on Saturday.

Any taker? We'll see you at the Speedway truckstop Saturday morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:47 am 
Hey Joe,

I'm in. This will be a great trip!. I'll see you tomorrow :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:14 pm 

we would like to join you guys, will this be a run we can do in our dodge??
we don't want to hold anyone up

mike and tanya

Who said Dodge's can't wheel!

Ram 1500 Quad Cab
6" Rough Country lift(with skids)
K&N
NBMC/CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:18 pm 

I forgot about me having to work on sun. I am not to sure what time we would be getting back from this run, but we may not be able to go. :(

mike and tanya

Ram 1500 Quad Cab
K&N
NBMC/CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:25 pm 
Mike, You'll have to check with Joe. I've never been through Penn. Canyon.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:22 pm 

Cool Steve, see you in the morning.

Hey Mike, if you want to go, but want to get home on Saturday evening and not Sunday, you could do the part up to Elgin and then head home from there.

If you want to go the rest of the way, Pennsylvania Canyon is rather rocky and tight in some areas as you head into the canyon. The last time I was there, the wash leading to the canyon was pretty washed out. Someone had cut new trails through some of the harder areas. I don't want to discourage you from going. I just want you to know that Rob and I planned it and we know that we could get through it fine. We both are locked front and rear. Steve will be fine too since he is locked also. The trail leading from Elgin to the canyon is the worst part. Like I said, its tight in some spots and pretty rough.

You are more than welcome to go. If you can't make it through that part of the trip, you could head back to SR93 via Rainbow Canyon Road or head north to Caliente. There is a state park north of Elgin, too. You could stop there and check it out.

That's my suggestion on the matter. I'm not worried so much as having someone hold us up as I am getting someone through safely.

Let me know. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:02 pm 

Man, sounds awesome!! Next time I need a little more than one day to plan. LOL. Maybe I can make the next overnighter.
Have fun, all. Take lots of pics. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:21 pm 

Sorry Al, I figured everyone was going to Ely for the weekend or I would have posted it sooner.

I am planning an overnighter to go to Tikaboo Peak and try to see Area 51 early on a Sunday morning, pack up and do some trails near Rachel. It's still in the planning stages. I'll post it as soon as I get a date to go. It will probably be 2 weeks or more in advance.

I wish you could pull it together and go with us. You could do the first part up into Caliente and then cruise on home. Then you wouldn't be doing an overnighter. :wink:

Last edited by JeepinJoe02 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 pm 

I know....we've got Amy's daughters visiting from MI and have some other plans. Definitely let me know about the Teakaboo Peak trip. I'd like to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:43 pm 

afhanson72 wrote:
I know....we've got Amy's daughters visiting from MI and have some other plans. Definitely let me know about the Teakaboo Peak trip. I'd like to go!

Will do!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:31 pm 

hey, this Tikaboo thing sounds cool!! but I have zero camping gear right now, and no idea what the trails are like (basically stock, 30" tires), but sounds fun anyway!

need a couple weeks notice if possible!

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:36 pm 

I don't know what the trails are like either, JJ, but from the info I got from This Website, it seems like an easy drive, just a little 4X4 toward the end and a short but fairly hard hike to the point.

Like I said, it will be well in advance. I'm not going to pre-run it before that time. I'm just going to make plans to go and do what I can to get there unharmed. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:15 am 

we are wanting to go but don't know where the meeting point is?? can anyone help before we need to be there??

mike and tanya

Ram 1500 Quad Cab
K&N
NBMC/CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:47 am 
Mike,

The turn off is for the speedway. Take I 15 north, you'll see it as you approach the north end of the valley. There is a petro truck stop there, that is where we'll meet. My cell is 595-6213

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:23 pm 

Mike and Tanya, I'm really glad you made it all the way through. Too bad you had to cut out short because of work. I had a great time camping and hiking will you both, and your daughter, too. She was great!! Oh, to be a kid again. :D Thanks for making the trip that much more enjoyable. :wink:

It was a lot of fun wheelin' with you Steve. I'm glad you were there to give us an education on all the snakes we saw. That was great!! I'm glad that you were able to come along and see some new stuff and new trails. It was a grand adventure. I'm sure we will all get together again for another run sometime in the future.

Last but not least, thanks Rob for making the trip fun and exciting. It's been a long time planning this since the last time we were up that way. I'm glad that we finally had the chance to do it and venture out to new and interesting places. I still can't believe you fell into the mud and water... :lol: :P Did you wash your shoes yet? :P Get over it already!!! HeHeHe

I'll post the pics in a different thread as soon as I get them uploaded to my webshots.

Thank you all again for making this a wonderful and exciting weekend.

Joe