Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:28 pm 
Maybe I missed it in previous posts, but how far away is this and how long will it take to get to and from?

Cheers!

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:51 pm 

Depends on which way you went. Caliente is about 150 miles by asphalt from Vegas. The Carp road I'm not sure, and if you take anything East from Ella? If I had to guess, I'd say around 120 miles one way to Caliente going the way I was talking (from Vegas). Then you could hit the asphalt back or comeback through Delamar (my Great G-Pa worked that mine) and out to Alamo or hit dirt back to the county line about. If you topped off at Logandale or Glendale, it should be easy to make Caliente, then Caliente to home. If I get a chance I'll map it out to get a better estimate.

Also, my cousin owns a 2 room "vacation" house just outside Caliente. 5 acres of sagebrush and one cedar tree. But it has room for tents and many vehicles, plus a bathroom with a shower! If we did it on a weekend or a time I could go, I'm sure I'd have permission to crash there, unless the majority wanted to really rough it :wink: Oh and there's a mine nearby too :D

Other than the weekend before and after July 4th, I should be free to go (and the wifey) till August during the weekends. The 4th and Ely run are going to burn up my vacation time so week days would be a stretch for me until August. Temps up there (Caliente) should be in the mid 90's max in July/August unless we have a bad heat wave going on. In the hills/canyons it would be less, say mid 80's?

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:13 pm 

I talked to my buddy Rubicon Rob and he won't be back home until the 4th of July, so it looks as if the first weekend after the 4th is the best time for him. That should give everyone enough time to plan the time off if they work weekends. I'm not sure of the exact route. As soon as I get my computer back up and running, I'll get to my topo maps and plan the route. I will say this, Pennsylvania Canyon out of Elgin will be the toughest part of the whole trip. That is, since I've been there. Maybe a 2.5 if that.

I'll work out the details and get them posted soon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Joe. Don't forget that the first weekend (7/7 -7/9) after 7/4 is the rally in Ely.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:29 pm 

Yeah, a few more might go if it was not that weekend maybe? The following weekends should be cool beans till the August club run to Mt. Moriah. I know for me at least. I'm gone tomorrow through Tuesday, but I can get a route made up and maybe email it to you Joe for some ideas Tuesday or Wednesday sometime. What map software do you use Joe, or know what kind of file you can open?

I'll see if I can get my Aunt's Trooper out through Clover Wash and see if there are any primitive campgrounds left from the floods also.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 pm 

Joe,
I will be in Ely that weekend with the rest of the Club. So anytime after that would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:41 pm 

Oops, sorry about that, I'm still without my computer and all the club stuff is on it and I totally forgot about the Ely weekend. Maybe I should go to that with everyone else instead. :D I'll have to let Rob know about that when I see him on Saturday. Trying to work something out with him is really hard since he drive OTR and is away from home a lot. Well, either way, it will be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:49 pm 

Well, unless it's an issue for others (like gas) we have from the weekend after the Ely run till when ever Brad was going to run to Mt. Moriah in August. Some folks may not do Ely, or some not Moriah, but some might make the Caliente run. I think the end of July might be good, as it might gives a couple of weeks between the runs?

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4