Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:07 am 

I got up early to get a few things done and to pack up my Jeep for the run. I left the house and headed to our meeting place. What I failed to realize is that I don't live as far as I use to. I was there in 10 min. when it use to take me 20-25 minutes. Oh well. I pulled in and Andy and Sheila were already there, too. Cool!! They brought their Sheltie, Jasmine along for the ride. Stan and Cathy showed up and (forgive me if I don't remember your name correctly) Shirley was also with them.

We left at 8:35 and headed toward Boulder City. The directions Brad gave were very helpful. The first wrong turn was when the trail stops following the powerlines and makes a left in the wash. Turned around and got in the wash. We followed the wash and saw a trail that follows the powerlines, but I stayed in the wash. Wrong!! The tail ends with some really narly obstacles that maybe the guys from Vegas Valley or Total Karnage would do. The trail must follow the powerlines again. We explored a little and then proceeded to the trail. As we were coming down in the one section it looked familiar from the pictures that Phil posted. I knew we were on the right track now.

We made it to the water and had lunch. We relaxed and enjoyed each others company. This was Andy's last time to go off roading and seeing his friends out on the trail and the things that are important to him. We know he will be back. We pray for his safe return. It's only 4 months, but it could feel like an eternity.

We packed up and headed back to civilization, enjoying the scenery and all of God's splender. It was an awesome day, a day to be shared.

So...here are the Pictures that I took of Andy's Run.

And a short Video of Andy playing in the water with his Jeep.

C'ya when you get back home Andy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Admin

great pictures, wish i could have gone with you. when i read your report it made me remember about the 2 detours. sorry about that. i'll blame it on the advanced age. :lol: at least you didn't turn around and you guys pushed on to the right spot. :D well joe, was the bad section as bad as your friend made you think it would be? 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:50 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
well joe, was the bad section as bad as your friend made you think it would be? 8)

Heck no!!! He made it sound like it was really bad. I personally would rate the trail no more than a 2. The rock garden is pretty much clear with very few rocks to contend with. Maybe he was talking about the second detour. If you keep following the wash and don't turn right up the powerline road, it would be hard. :D

Don't worry about the forgotten detours. That's what wheelin' is all about. Finding your way to your destination. It was all fun and a great experience. Especially since none of us were on this trail before.

I'm thinking that the water there at the end is going to be the same temp all year around like Willow Beach. The water was really cold. I know that Willow Beach stays around the 56 degree mark all year around. Since it's not too much further down the river, it may get a little warmer, but not like the lake water would get. It's a really nice place to hang out though.

Forgot to mention seeing what appeared to be wild cat tracks in the sediment in the water. It was pretty cool seeing those and makes you think that, you better be careful wherever you go. You never know what you may run into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

you're right, the water below the dam is pretty much the same from black canyon to cottonwood cove. and probably a little cooler at burro because it's still pretty much in black canyon. the cat prints are a reminder that the eldorado mountains are full of big horn sheep and where ever you have a pray animal that size you have to have a predator big enough to take it. in the case of big horn's that means mountain lions. can you say, NICE KITTY KITTY! :shock: have to stay alert when you're away from the group in places like that. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???