Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wednesday, 26 April?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:45 pm 
I'm off tomorrow and was thinking of getting out for a few hours. I am leaning towards just doing a scenic drive, Lovell Canyon Rd, but may consider something slightly more challenging if anyone else would like to join me. Thinking of heading out between 10-11ish; possibly earlier if someone wants to join me and needs an earlier start.

Post here if interested and I'll check back later and in the A.M. before heading out.

8)

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:09 pm 

hey JT, sign me up, I'll go. I just my disconnects on, too, so it'd be nice to try them out on the trail. I've never been to Lovell Canyon, that'd be great to explore.
Just let me know when and where to meet up.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

if you guys do lovell canyon make sure to run all the way to the end of the blacktop. just before the gate to the private ranch and off to the left is the trail to lovell summit. run up and over it, thru the area with all the weekend cabins, to trout canyon. stay on the main trail thru the cabins and you'll be ok and not trespassing. at trout you turn left and run out to 160 just south of pahrump on the big wide graded road. watch for wild horses on the way out to 160. you can't get far up trout to the right because of the private property posted. i'd say come back over wheeler but i have not had a chance to check out the trial since the snows. last year the snow was real late in melting off the summit. the pahrump side of wheeler isn't usually too bad but from the summit down to willow creek can be a little challenging because of the rocks getting moved around by the running water from the snow melt. last year after the snow melt it was running close to a level 2.5 in spots 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:04 pm 

by the way, the earlier we can go the better. I don't know how long this trip is, but I need to be back home by 5 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:37 pm 
Brad-thanks for the info on Wheeler. Don't think I'll chance it just yet; I was out in Pahrump over the weekend & it appeared as though there's still a fair amount of snow up there at the moment. Plus, I've never run Wheeler and wouldn't feel comfortable. Anyway, I've run Lovell Canyon once before and it's one of my favorites, especially since it's fairly close to my neck of the woods.

JJ-Bring your camera, there should be several opportunities for good pics, especially when we get to the top and then start down from Lovell Summit. The last time I ran this it took me 3-4 hours. I was by myself and only made a couple of short stops. I'd say we can easily be done between 2 or 3 if we roll by 11. I'm going to sleep in a little bit (its my only day off) and then I have a couple of quick errands to run in the morning. My cell phone number is 287-7460. Give me a call after 0930. If I'm done taking care of business I'll be more than happy to hit the trail early. Otherwise, let's plan on meeting at the truck stop at Blue Diamond and I15 at 1030, roll at 1100 (in case there are any folks that care to join us at the last minute).

See you tomorrow

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:49 pm 

alright, 10:30 sounds great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:11 pm 

of course, I forget the camera.

but hey, this was so nice.

Lovell Canyon was great but very short, so we had some time to explore.

Ended up doing Wheeler Pass.
We were just going to explore a bit and come down, but we figured we were so close already we'd just chance it.

doable, no snow at our elevations, but some of the road was washed out, but there are a couple go arounds...rough coming down towards Cold Creek.
I hit bottom once, but did it just fine.

we left the truck stop at 10:30 and I just got home. a GREAT run with some views I had never seen.

I will DEFINITELY be going back.
It was pretty overcast anyway, so getting some great photos would not have been in the mix.

The views in this area are fantastic!

Forest Service Road 566 is not on my map. I mean, it is, it's not labelled. We went all the way up 071 to some guy's private property.

thanks JT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:06 pm 
Awesome run, awesome views and awesome navigating! (thanks to JJ!) Neither of us had been there before, didn't have GPS and we managed to make it home to tell about it! :shock:

Definitely have to make that run again and gets my vote for one of the most picturesque I've seen since running around this area.

BTW, JJ made it just fine over the 2.5+(?) bits without even disconnecting! Cool! 8)

There were definitely some Jeep commercial moments, eh JJ? :D

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:16 pm 

yeah, now that I know what's in store for a future Wheeler Pass run, I'll disconnect and air down!