Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:22 pm 
March 4th and 5th are the dates set for the Alamo trail mapping trip. BLM has asked Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers ( my other club) to map out trails in an area of approx 100,000 acres east and north of Alamo ( Hell's Half Acre). Approx 3000 man hours have already been spent GPSing 4-5 rated trails. There's a shortage of 2-3 rated trails that the Backroaders can help find and map. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to make new trails through the desert. We do have to be very careful to disturb as little as possible. You can drive, hike or atv if you like. We also have to watch for and record any petroglyphs or artifacts that we may discover. That was why I went to Caliente for the DAT training. There is dry camping available on an old airstrip just off the highway( no more planes) :shock: . Bring your GPS but Garmin units are the only ones we can download to BLM at the end of the day. This is a beautiful area and we will be driving where no one has driven before. I'll post some pictures and give GPS coordinates for the turn-off in a few days. As it gets closer to the date, we'll figure out a meeting time and place for everyone. Call me if you have any questions. 595-6213 c 566-1807 h

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:37 pm 

I'll keep this in mind, Steve. I have a Garmin GPS and I'll be off work Friday afternoon and then totally off Sat -Tues. I'd love to be a part of history, so to speak. I'll look for the info to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:45 am 
SCUBA STEVE,
HEY WERE ARE THESE PLACES,AND ABOUT HOW FAR AWAY,AND ARE
WE GOING TO MAKE NEW TRAILS THROUGH THE DESERT AND MOUNTAINS-OR - SORTA MAP OUT OLD,WEEDY TRAILS THAT ARE ALREADY THERE?

ED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:38 pm 

Alamo is 90 miles North of Las Vegas on US 93. Hell's Half Acre is further North, to almost Ash Springs (14 miles IIRC) and east of of 93. I beleive the landing strip Steve mentioned is the old X-15 emergency runway in south Delamar Valley. Alamo and Ash Springs both have gas and provisions, with a small market in Alamo. There are also a couple motels and RV spaces in both towns with hook ups if you want to rough it :mrgreen: Pahranagat Lake, which is right there as well, is full and has some good small mouth bass fishing last time I heard.

The valley is full of Native American history, as well as a lot early settler history. Like Steve said, the area is almost unknown to many, except the locals and some hunters. Pahroc (paw-rock) Range has some awesome rock formations and is a great area for bobcats and coyotes.

The pic below is of an area in the Pahroc Range.

More info:
http://nevadawilderness.org/framesets/fmainset.htm

Click on "Eastern" at the top and it list the wilderness areas on the left. South Pahroc is the one you want.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:41 pm 

Oh, I got all giddy and forgot, I plan on attending, although I have a Magellan GPS :(

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:58 pm 
What type of GPS do you have? How much does it cost? Does it cost monthly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:50 am 
Site Admin

hey there cody. i'll send you an e-mail with some info about gps units that we use off roading. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:42 pm 
THANKS GARY

ED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:35 pm 
The airstrip is approx 1/2 mile east of Ash Springs. Not the x-15 strip. The main mountain range is the Hiko range. We will be running a little bit of everything from exisiting dirt roads to breaking new trails through the desert. This will be one of our biggest weekends as we have only until the end of April to submit our GPS trails. I can sure use the help from anyone who wants to come up. I'm hoping to have 8-10 NVBKRDS that can make it up. Let me know if you can help. This is NOT a run per se as we can run into just about anything. It's always a slow go when you're trying to get from point A to point B with no road. Also if you have a GMRS radio, bring that along also as we use these to communicate between the groups. They have much better range than a CB. (Channel 2 sub 0). More to come. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 pm 

Wow, were going to get to break new trail? And not get fined? It's worth the trip just for that!

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject: Mar 4th & 5th
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 am 

I assume the radio's you are talking about are "HAM" (Which I don't have)

Also, is the older Garmin GPS III good enough to get the tracks in the GPS? Do I need to update the program in it? I have 2 of them, so I could loan one of them if they are of any use.

Would like to help but don't want to be a liability either??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:34 pm 
Just bring yourself and the jeep. There will be plenty of equipment there already. Fms and Gmrs radios are handheld you can buy almost everywhere. Not really a ham set up but some do require you to register with FCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 pm 

Steve,, I'd love to be there, but it's just too far for a day trip... Have to work Sunday early... I do have 2 GMRS radios if they would help... The batteries are fairly fresh, but I would recommend anybody to bring along extra AA's... Let me know if you need them... Phil :mrgreen:

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:24 pm 
Thanks Phil, too bad you can't make it. I'll let you know about the radios but I think we'll be covered.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:18 pm 

I forgot to mention that Ash Springs has a BLM managed hot spring. Accordingto my spring book, it is around 85* in a concrete-waist deep pool. I *think* there might be bathrooms there too for changing. Might be a spot to hit after a day of 4Xing :wink:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4