Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halloween Fun Run
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:16 pm 

I have a friend visiting from Canada, and in her own words, she has never been in a 'real Jeep'. I am going to rectify that. I'm taking her to Keyhole Canyon first, and then heading on to the Wee Thump run.

If you've done Wee Thump before, it has changed a little, because that area got a flash flood a few weeks ago. The road up to the bighorn sheep guzzler no longer exists. Tom and I did it, but it was rough going. So, we won't be dong that part. That's why I added Keyhole Canyon onto the run.

The rest of the trail is fine, with just a bit more excitement on some of the hills. I'd still rate the trail as a 2.5, for a few exciting hill climbs and descents with ruts.

If there's time, we'll stop at the Pet Cemetery on the way back into town. That seems appropriate on Halloween.

If you're interested, we're meeting at the Nelson turnoff at 9:00 on Halloween Friday. I want to roll soon thereafter, so I'm planning on heading out by 9:15. Assuming there are no major problems, we will be back before dark - so you won't miss any trick or treating.

Post subject: Re: Halloween Fun Run
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:24 pm 

Sounds great, I will plan to ride, Joanne will have to decide. This sounds like a run for the JK, not the pretty, stock, JKU. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 am 

A stock vehicle could make it, but there would most likely be some undercarriage scraping. And, a misplaced tire here or there could fall-down-and-go-boom in a deep rut. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 am 

Dawn Nelson wrote:
A stock vehicle could make it, but there would most likely be some undercarriage scraping. And, a misplaced tire here or there could fall-down-and-go-boom in a deep rut. :lol:

Thanks for input, you confirmed my vehicle choice, we have a pretty one and we have the one I drive on trails w/ deep ruts and undercarriage scrapping. They are saying Friday is the last of the warm ones for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:14 pm 

Thanks Dawn, it was fun. Five Jeeps really keep moving and I got home in plenty of time for the Trick 'r Treaters. We had 30 or so. Happy Halloween and Happy Birthday to Nevada... 150!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:44 am 

:wink: Thanks for the great run, Hope your visitors likes the Big Horn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:17 pm 

Thanks for coming, all. It was a great day! Nice to know there's at least one bighorn in those mts, seeing as they're considered critical bighorn habitat.

But, the verdict is in. My Wee Thump run is no longer stock friendly. :o