Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:44 pm 

There are a couple of us planning a relatively easy trip near Mesquite this Saturday with camping around Black Rock Mtn that night. We will more than likely head up Elbow Canyon and go from there. We would leave Vegas no later than 10AM Saturday the 16th. Should be back into town a little after lunch the next day. For those not interested in camping maybe just tag along and check out Elbow Canyon and then head back down the same way. You would pretty much have cell reception the whole time if you want to break from the group. I know many of you don't know who Nissanboy is, but don't let that stop you from coming out and having some fun. 4wd is required for this run. It is stock friendly and it pretty scenic and relatively quick. Let me know if you are interested and I can post some more info.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 am 

I am in. And will update you on the snow on the mountain. Saturday it was covered but it wasn't a lot. Looks like a lot of it melted yesterday. Should be good weather!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm 

Hey Mark the snow is just about gone. I will shot you a pic later when I get off work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:45 pm 

That is music to my ears. Of course that will mean some mud will be up there. That's ok with me! I guess I should have posted this in the camping and exploring section of this forum, my bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 pm 

Interesting enough, I was just coming on to ask if anyone had taken the road from Mesquite past Mt. Bangs, through Black Rock, and on back into the South side of St.George. I actually plan to go on all the way past Mt. Trumble and then down to Toroweep Overlook, but turning North goes back to St. George, and makes a possible day trip out of it. The mapping software says it's going to be around 100 miles to Toroweep from Mesquite, so I expect this will be overnight camping near Mt. Trumble if I go that way.

This sounds like the kind of trip that David Wright might have done, but I am looking for a heads up from anyone who has gone this way. There are some sections from Mesquite near Mt. Bangs that are listed as 20% uphill grade, and then some 10% downhills on the other side. I guess I'm just trying to get some idea of how tough this trail will be before I try to talk my wife into going. Similar to Wheeler Pass or Harris Summit?

Thanks for any advice or pics,

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 am 

You can reach Toroweap about 100 different ways from Mesquite. It sounds like you are going to take Elbow canyon up and over to Black Rock and then drop down through Wolf Hole and on the main road to Toroweap. This is a pretty tame route other than some slightly steep switchbacks going up Elbow Canyon. The road to Black Rock has numerous smaller rocks on the trail so it is bumpy and slow going for some stretches. If you want to bypass that then head south from Mt Bangs to the 101 and take that all the way to the main road coming down from St George. Otherwise you are in for a long day of driving. It is very scenic throughout, but I don't know how long you are planning on driving. 100 miles in Parashant = 6-8 hours or more depending on the route.

What do you wants pics of? Toroweap, Elbow Canyon, 101? I have them all!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:40 am 

Travis come out this weekend with us and you will get first hand experience of the area. Then you know what way to head to Toroweap with the wife.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:11 am 

Those from Vegas and wanting to come check it out we will be meeting at the Speedway Truckstop @ 9:30AM and rolling out no later than 10AM tomorrow morning. I will be in a Silver Xterra and there will also be a red JK Rubicon. I wish more people would be interested in the runs I put on here, but it is their loss. Anyway, hope to see some strangers in the morning, but friends by the afternoon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 am 

The weather should be perfect for being outside on the trail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:39 pm 

I would have gone, but I work on the weekends. If you plan something on a Tuesday overnight to Wednesday, count me in. We love to camp, and getting offroad to find little used locations is fantastic. But it seems that most people have weekends off from some actual job, instead of working in the fantasy land that is the Vegas strip.

I really hope the trip was as much fun as it sounds.

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:31 am 

I hope this was a fun trip. I would have been there, but just like Travis, I work on weekends and off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I would like to get out to Toroweap one day. Hey, Travis or anyone if you ever up for a trip out there during Tue or Wed, or for any runs I'm in.

Please, post some pics of your trip....Thanks

Rauol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:23 am 

Yeah that is too bad about the schedules not working out for everyone. If I get laid off here in the coming weeks I will try to schedule a weekday run for sure. I will post a pic or two when I get home tonight. How about a night run? What time do you guys get off work?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:30 pm 

As soon as I get my home computer working again I will get some pics up - went to Toroweap last weekend so have some pics from there also. Plan something on a Tue/Wed or maybe we need a weekday group. I can take days off when needed.