Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death Valley Run 1/22/11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:31 pm 

New to the club, but I have wheeled with some other members. We will be doing a fun run through Titus & Echo Canyon. About 3-5 rigs have already confirmed going, would like to see a couple more. This is a stock friendly run for shorter WB vehicles. I am taking my stock Xterra, so that should give you an idea. Chime in if interested!

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

FYI... As of right now Titus is CLOSED due to mud. http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/road-conditions.htm. Maybe it will be open by then.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

In the past when Titus has been closed due to winter weather damage it hasn't re-opened until spring time. Just a little FYI. The website Bob supplied is a good one but doesn't allways get updated daily. If you'd like you can call 760-786-3200 and follow the promts for current road conditions.

And depending on how much water has flowed down Echo it may be a real challange for stock vehicles at the big waterfall. Just another FYI. Not trying to bust your bubble just giving you a little heads up.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Echo may not be too bad. According to the DV Morning Report, Furnace Creek has only had .51 inches of rain since 7/1/10. :shock:

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 pm 

Yeah when I tried posting this the first time this afternoon I lost the text because it sent me back to the log in page. I had typed a nice narrative for this trip. I did call DV this morning to get an update on Titus Canyon. They guy said they were going to check it out again tomorrow and update the conditions. He was hoping that the warmer weather that is supposed to be here for the next couple of days should do the trick. If it stays closed then we will just reroute accordingly. As for Echo I am not afraid to stack a couple of rocks or get strapped if that is the case! I am glad to see some quick replies, but does anyone from here want to tag along?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:23 pm 

What is your plan? To drive up, do echo and drive back - all in the same day?

Just wondering because I have been thinking about camping in DV next month. Want to go back to Eureka dunes and spend more time there. Don't have my Jeep anymore and my Tundra is much larger so not sure about all the trails with it since it is full size. Not scared but just don't want to hold others back. Been all over DV but not in the new truck. I might tag along if the wife is up for it and I can figure a way to not be on-call. If not I will be going in Feb sometime to camp for the weekend.
Also planning a camping trip to Toroweap overlook in the Grand Canyon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 pm 

If your truck is a crew cab with a long bed I would say to prolly not tag along on this run. If it is a reg cab with a standard bed or even a short bed then you could probably make it. Others on this board and even a google search might lend you better info about what can and can't make it through Echo Canyon. If anyone does decide to run this and not chime in or let me know that is totally cool. Just make sure you make it to the meet up location prior to our departure. We will be meeting at the Albertson's gas station on the corner of El Capitan and Durango, pretty much right there at the 95/Durango exit @ 7AM on Saturday the 22nd. We will roll out at 7:30 sharp as we have some people that will be meeting us at Beatty at 9AM. Other than that it should be a nice relaxing day, hopefully the weather holds out for us and no rain is in the forecast although DV could be more photogenic with clouds!?! If you do show up I will be leading this run and I will be in the stock silver Xterra. Stock vehicles are welcome as there really is only one spot on either trail that will challenge a stock vehicle. We have plenty of straps and young backs to stack rocks if it comes down to that!

Oh and I just came back from an overnighter to Toroweap. Here is a link to the photos from the trip. I am the doofus in the camo hat.

http://justinmob.smugmug.com/Other/Toro ... 5550_rRaqC

As soon as I posted that I remember Jason was wearing a camo hat as well. I am the younger dood wearing a camo hat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 pm 

Well they didn't make a crew cab long bed but I have the Double Cab 6.5 bed, 3" lift on 35's and think I am too big for Echo- I was planning on doing echo when i had my Jeep but when we went it was closed for some reason. Been just about everywhere else in DV. Don't want to hold anyone up or tear up the truck. Take some pics so I can see the waterfall in relation to the rigs.
I think I will pass and plan on going out there Feb 11 for the weekend and then back to Toroweap the weekend of April 8th.

Have fun and be safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 pm 

Awesome pics - how was the weather? Might be too cold for me :lol: i am a sissy when its cold.
Did you take Lime Kiln to Toroweap? I live in Mesquite and play around in the Virgin mountains often. Shoot me a message next time your out this way and I will tag along as long as there is no serious rock crawlin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am 

Yes we did take Lime Kiln Canyon over to Hidden Canyon and around the south side of Poverty Mtn. We swung south to Pa's Pocket to camp. We went to Toroweap the next day and back out and home through Colorado City. It was about 200 miles in the dirt. Lime Kiln aka 242 was super washed out from that storm that came through before Xmas. It just barely hit freezing that night and that was at 4000' up. We are planning another trip sometime in May. I go up there frequently for day trips so maybe I will hit you up to go play!

As for Echo Canyon here is some photos and video of the toughest part. This was taken by Preston and will be gooing again this weekend with us. He has 34's and a mild lift, so base your decision on that.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pkess3/Echo ... ThreeLees#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqocYRyUZ8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm 

Yeah Lime Kiln got washed out good in a couple spots- I was up there when it snowed and had to pull a Z71 on 37's out of a nice size washout. I guess he thought he was big enough to make it. He is lucky I showed up or it could have been a while before someone made it up that far to yank him out.

I think I would be dragging my trailer hitch on that due to being too long

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm 

Was the Z71 not locked at all? There were some decent washouts, but nothing that I would think would stick someone with that big of tires!?! You could almost still get cell phone coverage from a couple of spots on that trail. I am excited for the spring thaw to see how nasty Elbow Canyon will be when it opens up. Have you ever taken that route up through to the Paiute wilderness area? It is very scenic for sure! Next time we will get you out to DV!

~Mark

Anyone else interested in this run?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm 

Titus Canyon is open as of today's DV morning report, so this run is 100% a go for this Saturday. I have invited a lot of the Jeep guys that hang around on JK-forum. The weather is going to be nice, come out with us!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm 

No he wasn't locked just thought he was big enough to go anywhere. It was just past the cattle guard before it gets steep to the top. Definitely hit me up when your out this way I have not been up elbow canyon yet. Try not to go far by myself just in case. Will be heading to DV soon enough. Got plans for a locker or Auburn LSD so hopefully be able to push a little further. Just need a few more things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am 

My vote is for a locker, LSD's while good for some instances are not as sure footed as a locker. Get something selectable if it is a daily driver!