Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:34 pm 

Meet at the Shell Station located in Henderson on I-515 & Wagonwheel at 7am

The Sleeping Princess trail is located between Bullhead City & Kingman off of Highway 68.

Rating 3+ :?: The Wells Arizona Trail guide rates is as Difficult. "This is a nasty, dangerous trail that should be driven with at least two other vehicles." However from the pictures and further discriptions included it doesn't look/sound much harder than Potato Ridge. Sounds like fun :D

I would recommend that you have some lift, good tires, and at least one locker and/or are experienced at getting your rig though rock obsticles.

I have not done this trail but another Vegas Valley member who has ran this trial was planning on doing the same trail on the same day and has offered to lead the run. :D (karma is a good thing)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:27 pm 

Sounds like fun, I'm interested.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:51 pm 

I'm intrigued as well. I especially like runs that start on my side of town, so I don't have to roll out of bed early. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 am 

Here is a link to Bullhead 4 Wheelers site with some pictures of a Sleeping Princess run they did.

Some of the pictures were taken on an optional side trail called "Miller's Extension".

http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com/b4w_006.htm

Looks like it is going to be a good run, and the forcast is for temps in the 60's and sunny. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:16 pm 

I called the BLM office in Kingman and thay said you need a lift and lockers. . Rex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:15 am 

I have done this trail a couple of times. And i'll be leading the run. My first attempt at the trail i had 33" tires and 2 lockers. I made it through, but got hung up on a couple of obstacles. My second time was with 35" tires and 2 lockers and i walked right though the trail. There are a few of optionals that i haven't attempted. The trail is a good 3 plus, with a lot of off camber steep climbs including large boulders to negotiate. I would have to say 33" tires and at least 1 locker with some body protection would be your best bet for getting through with out any serious damage to your vehicle.

Fabtech front bumper w/warn winch
35" BFG Krawlers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:29 am 

Well, sounds like fun, but it looks like I'll actually have to pass. I've got a cat at the vet, and may need to be around to do vet things. Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:58 am 

I would really like to go, but I don't have a locker..:( However I am lifted with 33 inch tires and experienced driver....what ya think?

Dawn sorry to hear about your cat.

Marla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:23 pm 

Marla,

All I can offer is what Randy (who has done this trail at least twice) posted:

"I would have to say 33" tires and at least 1 locker with some body protection would be your best bet for getting through with out any serious damage to your vehicle."

I don't know the trail to say "yes we can get you through" or "no without at least one locker you won't be able to get through". I know that when I only had 3.73 gears and a factory limited slip rear I was able to get my Jeep through some pretty tuff spots - but that was greatly due to the knowledge of some really great spotters that knew the trails we were on.

I am sure that you (we) will be able to get your Jeep through, however not having a locker will mean having to use a little more right foot or being strapped for some of the obsticles. Either greatly increases the risk of damage. Another thing you may consider is that you are also not geared very low either. You will have to weight for yourself if the risk (and potential repair $) is worth it.

What I can offer is this sounds like a trial that will test the limits of your vehicle and driving skill.

If you want to go I am not going to tell you you cannot and I will do what I can to help get you through the trail. Randy will have the final say as he is leading the trail. If he doesn't reply, come meet us in the morning and we can talk to him then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:59 pm 

After considering my options I have decided it is probably better if I do not attend this run. Have fun!

Marla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:46 pm 

1 other thing is i haven't been on the trail in 8 months so things could have changed for the better or worst. I'm not really sure. One thing about me is i will never leave a jeep behind. i will make sure you get through the trail!

Fabtech front bumper w/warn winch
35" BFG Krawlers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 am 

Changed my mind I want to go, see ya at the meeting place.

Marla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:02 pm 

All was not a lost, ended up going over to Nipton then on to Vanderbilt Ghost town and played around there for awhile then on home.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:54 am 

The trail was great and the views were awesome.

If we were to stick to the Sleeping Princess trail (and omit the Miller Extension) there are three places that are challenging to an open vehicle. 3" lift and 33's are pretty much a minimum, and rocker guards are highly useful in at least one spot.

Perhaps after Crawlfest we can put togeather a fun run for this trail if there is any interest.

Glad you were able to get in the dirt yesterday Marla. There will be more opportunities.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:21 pm 

I really wanted to go with you all, but I had prior commitments. Maybe the next time you go, I'll be free. Anyone take pics???