Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 pm 

Ronin wrote:
Hi. As a side question this seems to be a fairly long trip. As I am new to OffRoading and my Jeep in general, do you all bring extra gas or would leaving Vegas with a full tank allow me to make it back?

We'll have enough fuel so there is no nees for extra fuel.

Shitter and RB are short harder trails.
I'll try giving you a call Friday Darrell. Got home late.

I think a 4Runner on 31's can make most of the trail w/o problems. But there is always the chance of rubbing the undercarriage, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:20 am 

Due to some difficulty, and delayed shipment of parts prepping the race bike to run at Bonneville next week. Elisabeth and I cannot make it.
I'm in California Sunday through Thursday next week, and we leave for the Salt Flats Friday am.

I was looking forward to this, sorry Joe.

Mike & Elisabeth

http://www.MikeFlys.com/
http://www.DynoTraining.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:39 am 

Paul & I are meeting D-Rail at 7:00 for breakfast and leaving at 8:00. We are doing the Matterhorn first, can't stand the heat. We will catch you guys later on the trail. TOM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:31 am 

Ronin wrote:
Hi. As a side question this seems to be a fairly long trip. As I am new to OffRoading and my Jeep in general, do you all bring extra gas or would leaving Vegas with a full tank allow me to make it back?

Usually, a full tank is plenty. You can always get topped off on the way out in Logandale at the Chevron or in Moapa. Being that you are new to off-roading be sure you know the difficulty level of the trail that you are on. We will be running a variety of trails tomorrow. You will have a great time I'm sure but be careful that you hang with the right group. Some of us will be running on the more difficult trails which are rated 3-4+ and recommend 33"+ tires, upgraded suspensions and 1-2 lockers. Experienced offroaders can often get by with less but I think it's fair to say that some of them are not ideal for beginners with stock vehicles.

Jeff Jorgensen - KF7DGX
2010 - 2011 Hump-N-Bump Chairman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:21 pm 

Thats where my hesitation would come in. Wouldn't want to be "that guy" that someone is babysitting or keeping the group behind. Though there is only one way to find out. Unless there are multiple groups going, this might not be an appropriate run to join. I'll probably go another time with a smaller group.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm 

Ronin wrote:
Thats where my hesitation would come in. Wouldn't want to be "that guy" that someone is babysitting or keeping the group behind. Though there is only one way to find out. Unless there are multiple groups going, this might not be an appropriate run to join. I'll probably go another time with a smaller group.

I'm sure you will be ok on this trip if you locate the guys from the Nevada Backroaders at the Petro in the morning and let them know that you are new and don't want to hit the tougher trails. You should be fine on the bowl trail but you may not be comfortable on the Matterhorn unless some of the Backroaders know where all of the go arounds are for the obsticles are.

A lot of the people who are going tomorrow (including me) are from the Vegas Valley Four Wheelers. We aren't as scary as the Total Karnage folks but that's just because we would rather not roll our vehicles or have body damage if we can avoid it. Most of the guys (but not all) in the VV4W have a lift and lockers and many of the trails we run will test your skills and scrape your underside. A few tomorrow would surely get your heart pounding and your adrenaline flowing. I posted a few photos earlier in this thread. This is where many of the VV4W guys will be going to shoot some video.

This is Bronco Falls

Jeff Jorgensen - KF7DGX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:08 pm 

Hi guys,

New guy here. I may be making it tomorrow morning. Won't know for a few hours. I've never been to Logandale. I have a mildly built 4Runner and I'd rate myself as a intermediate wheeler. Hopefully I can make it and meet some new faces!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:38 pm 

I will be at the run with my jeep and a friend of mine will bring his jeep. We'll be at the petrol at 9 30am. 2 black wranglers, please keep an eye out for us....

Glen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:40 pm 

Well, this is turning out to sound like a pretty large run. So, D-Rail (Darrell) offered to lead an earlier group.

So, Darrell wants to meet for breakfast at 7am and depart for the trail @ 8am sharp. If you're not eating breakfast I would say be there by 7:30am to visit with other folks going.

I will lead whoever else wants to go at the original set plan on the first posting. Breakfast around 8:30 am was it? Meet around 9:30am and depart hopefully around 10 when Larry and his wife arrive. I will still need one to two open seats for them to ride along.

I hope everyone keeps up on the postings and gets in the group that is going the time that is best suited for them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:46 pm 

Joe,

I"ll be in my wrangler solo, so I'll have 1 empty seat. If you need one more let me know and I'll strap my cooler to the bumper carrier and that will free up the backseat....

Glen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:17 pm 

Glen wrote:
Joe,

I"ll be in my wrangler solo, so I'll have 1 empty seat. If you need one more let me know and I'll strap my cooler to the bumper carrier and that will free up the backseat....

Glen

Awesome, thanks Glen. I'm sure Larry will be bouncing from vehicle to vehicle of those who have open seats throughout the day. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:27 pm 

Is Darrell's group going to all the same trails as Joe's group (starting at bowl/matternhorn and ending at shitter/rock bottom)?

Is Darrell's group returning home earlier since they are starting a couple of hours earlier than Joe's? Or will they be waiting for Joe's group to arrive at Logandale to do the shitter/rock bottom together?

Are the VV4W people a third group or are they part of Darrell's or Joe's group?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 pm 

whtwolfden wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure I'll be there.
Sounds like a great time, kind of a Hump N Bump teaser! :P

Looks like leaving that .1% of doubt hanging bit me in the rear.
Took the Jeep to Chapman on Monday for burned out Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect and was told parts were ordered and would be in by Friday... Well guess what? Today the word is parts will be in Monday. I'm bummed out but it may be for the best. Spending a quiet weekend at home and avoiding stress for a few days is just what the doctor ordered. I'll just have to wait for Hump N Bump to hit these trails. Have fun guys!

'08 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
4" ProComp Lift
35" BFG Mud-Terrains
Rampage Bumpers
10,000 lb. Smittybuilt Winch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:07 pm 

Wow! Let me recap a little,

I'll be driving the Tomato (aka RED '06 TJ dailey driver) cb ch #4.

Ute to Bowl trail-Matterhorn-Hawkins (to Logandale) Bronco falls-Shitter-Rock bottom.

I thought, (meet up at 7am breakfast, 7:30am to be ready to leave by 8am)
this would help get everyone through the trail, "in the cooler hours."
Since the magazine person wants action shots, in Logandale, this would help us get there
sooner.
I thought, the more daylight the better for pictures.
Some folks may want to get home to do stuff, and not go on to Logandale??
This will also let anyone who may want to try an obstacle do so.
A rolled rig or body dammage or broken parts ***Is not on my agenda****
I want every one to have a safe and fun day on the trail.
I will give anyone a hand, and spot every rig if need be.
I will show you the "whole trail" , and the go arounds.
I hope we can all meet up, maybe at the Matterhorn "both groups" then cotinue on
the hawkins trail to the out.
Then on to Logandale for the harder stuff .
Plenty of go arounds w/ good views of the obstacles.
If I only have 3 jeeps at 8am,,,,,,I guess we'll wait for the other group.
See everyone Saturday!
D-Rail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 pm 

It looks like a lot of the VV4W, Jeff, Cowboy, Roger etc will be shooting for the earlier time. Breakfast at 7:00 AM

Jeff

Jeff Jorgensen - KF7DGX