Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:45 pm 

Charlie wrote:
Hey Joe, so how much of the run can my Xterra handle? :?

If none, likely to show for there excellent clogging arteries breakfast. :lol:

Regards 8)

A stock Cherokee on 30's did it before with no problems. It isn't that hard and there are bypasses around most if not all of the obstacles if I remember correctly, so, come up for breakfast and we'll ask some others that have done the trail and see what they think. But plan on going, Charlie. Now remember this is not a walk in the park trail, there are still some technical parts to negotiate, like hill climbs and rocky/bumpy parts, and rocks to squeeze by. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 pm 

Charlie wrote:
Hey Joe, so how much of the run can my Xterra handle? :?

If none, likely to show for there excellent clogging arteries breakfast. :lol:

Regards 8)

Here is a stock Lexus doing one of the fun Matternhorn obstacles:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/30 ... good-times
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/30 ... good-times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 am 

Joe,

My buddy from work trailers his rig and is most interested in the second half of the run through Shitter / Rock Bottom.

From the previous posts is sounds like we are doing the matterhorn and ending back on pavement, then heading to Logandale.

Where & when would be a good place for him to meet up with us between Glendale and Logandale to drop his trailer and unload his rig?

See you Saturday!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 pm 

you can count me in. Anyone have an idea on approx what time we will be getting back into town?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 pm 

Jenna wrote:
you can count me in. Anyone have an idea on approx what time we will be getting back into town?

I would guess that if we got going at 10am or shortly there after, head up to the Ute exit, do the trail with minimal stops...I'm guessing we could get through the trail in about 5 hrs. So if you leave after airing up from Glendale, it will be about a 40 min or so ride back into town. A rough guess? 4:30-5pm

If you go into Logandale to do the Shitter Trail, then it will probably be dark by the time you get back into town. I'm guessing between 7-8:30pm. All depending on if everyone gets through the trail without any problems and we don't stop much except for lunch.

This is going to be an all day event one way or the other especially if we have a great turnout. That's the best guess I have Jenna. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 pm 

Kevin & Wanda wrote:
Joe,

My buddy from work trailers his rig and is most interested in the second half of the run through Shitter / Rock Bottom.

From the previous posts is sounds like we are doing the matterhorn and ending back on pavement, then heading to Logandale.

Where & when would be a good place for him to meet up with us between Glendale and Logandale to drop his trailer and unload his rig?

See you Saturday!

That is the plan Kevin and I hope we are able to stick to it fairly well, but anything can happen. Lets hope it goes smooth. If your buddy wants, he could probably meet us at the trail in Logandale where the outhouses are before getting onto the trails. Basically, right by the Shitter trail. I would hope to be there by 4:30 or so. Now that's a really rough guess. No telling how many people are showing up and how long it will take to get through the trail. If time was getting late we could always bypass Matterhorn. I guess we'll have to play it by ear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 am 

I should be able to make this one, I will know for sure Friday night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:36 pm 

It looks like I should be able to make it. It would be much better this time of year to hit the trail about 2-hours earlier. It's likely to get real hot out there. I guess that's not an option this time. It sounds like there are quite a few people that have never been out to our VV4W stomping grounds and have no idea what to expect.

My intention is not to scare anyone off but nobody likes being in a position where there is no turning back and the trail is out of your comfort zone. From the description of the run a lot of the trails they intend to get video of are not the easier trails for the beginner with a stock vehicle without lockers.
I personally would not take a stock Jeep or Liberty into the Shitter Bowl, Bronco Falls or Rock Bottom. These are not the typical Nevada Backroaders kind of trails. You may be ok on most of the Bowl Trail, Logandale Trail "A" loop or much of the Matterhorn. I think there are go-arounds for some but not all of the obsticles. I guarantee that you will get to try out your skid plates at the very least.

Here are a few photos from a pre-run for the Hump-N-Bump we did last year. The first four are from Rock Bottom. The fifth and Sixth are from the Shitter Bowl. The last two photos are from the Matterhorn. This may give people who have never run these trails an idea of what to expect. Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Jeff Jorgensen - KF7DGX
2010 - 2011 Hump-N-Bump Chairman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm 

Joe ----------- :P :P Paul And Buford are also coming

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:05 pm 

How long are the Rock Bottom and Shitter trails?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:16 pm 

You can go on the VV4W.org site and click on trails. They will connect you with a Google Earth overlook of the trails. Generally, when we go to run the Shitter Trail we end up running Rock Bottom and Bronco Falls.

In a small group of capable machines it can all be done in a couple of hours.

Jeff Jorgensen - KF7DGX
2010 - 2011 Hump-N-Bump Chairman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:19 pm 

Hello Joe,

Just found your forum. This sounds like a fun event.

I have a stock 1985 4Runner with 31’s.

Would this truck be able to make at least the first part of the run? It has seen mainly only dirt roads.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:27 pm 

I just seen the time change, wow this will be a long day....
Would you like me to lead the group and start at 8am? Then you guys jam up the wash to catch us at the Matterhorn???? or if they are really late meet us at Logandale? I'm just
trying to be helpfull.... :wink: I'm o.k. leaving at 10am call me #496-3866
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 pm 

Hi Joe,

I will be able to make this one also, see you Saturday.

Rich

White
'08 Rubicon Unlimited
4" lift and 35's

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm 

Hi. As a side question this seems to be a fairly long trip. As I am new to OffRoading and my Jeep in general, do you all bring extra gas or would leaving Vegas with a full tank allow me to make it back?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next