Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 am 

Me and a couple friends wanted to make a run but couldn't find another day trip trail in the vegas area. We did the mormon well trip and enjoyed it so much we wanted to try another. My knowledge of trails in the area is very limited so if anyone has a good trail in mind let me know. Wed also like a trail boss for this trip, someone with knowledge of the trail we are taking. If not we'd atleast like good directions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:22 pm 

man I gotta work thurs. you guys should check out wheelers pass if you havent gone yet. its a pretty neat trail with some great views and its not too hard at all. Ive only been once, so im not too familiar with the trail, but I will see if I can find directions for you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:21 pm 

Directions would be nice. and remember that wagoneer would that make it through the pass?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

the wheeler pass trail, depending on what this winter has done to it, usualy rates a 2/2.5 between cold creek and the pass. you should encounter several washouts that take a little finesse and several rocky sections in the last push to the top. keep an eye open for the go-arounds on a couple of the washouts. as long as you stick to the main trail going up, meaning don't drop into the low road/ wash section which could rate a 3/3.5, you should be ok. from the pass to pahrump is a big old graded road. if you take the low road into the wash on the way down from the top you may encounter a section that washed out could rate a 2 to a 3 again depending on what the winter hass done to things. i've lead an H1 hummer and full size pickup trucks through the tight sections so a wagoneer should fit no problem. if i wasn't allready commited to other things on the 9th i'd love to lead you guys but just cann't do it this time. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:07 pm 

RESCHEDULED TO FRIDAY
due to some timing issues we've changed it to friday. And i still need directions to the trail head and maybe a time frame of how long it should take coming from vegas to get there, take the trail, and get back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

well i can give you a few nuggets of info. first, i've run wheeler were i've left us95 at 0900 and had lunch in pahrump and i've had trips were i've eaten lunch on the trial and made pahrump by 1400 or so. any way expect another hour or so to run from pahrump back to vegas. to get to the trailhead leave vegas with full gas tanks going north on us95 like you're heading for mt. charleston only you're going to drive past kyle canyon, desert national wildlife, and lee canyon to cold creek road. easy to tell when you've gotten to cold creek road because you'll see the 2 state prisons from the highway. make a left and head past the prisons to the mountains. it's black top all the way to the fire station and the village. just after the fire station look for the sign on the right for wheeler pass road. follow the graded road past the houses, keep an eye open for the wild horses, and follow it all the way up then down the hill to willow creek. from there you'll catch the 4wd trail that will wind it's way to the top of the pass. off the top of my head i don't remember the forest service road number you'll be seeing on the little brown posts and hopefully someone will chime in here with that number. follow the well traveled trail and like i said watch for the washouts and pick your way thru the rocky spots, no rocks bigger then a microwave if i remember, and before you know it you'll be at the top of the pass. from there either return the way you just came, which can be fun, and get back to vegas sooner or follow the big graded road all the way to pahrump. you'll need to top off your tanks b4 leaving pahrump just to make sure you have enough to get home. from pahrump you can go south on sr160 to mountain pass and back to vegas or go north on sr160 to us95 and make a right turn and come all the way back to vegas that way. good luck and be safe. if something looks too daunting then turn around and plan to come back again with more experiance.

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is trail #601. That would be the same trail that goes through the wash. The trail that bypasses the wash is 538 or 598, I think. This one goes through the burn area.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 pm 

Wheres a good meeting spot? meet time will be 10:00 am and roll at 10:30. As i said earlier its beend rescheduled to friday so hopefully more of you can go.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

there is a parking area on cold creek road on the right after you turn left from us95. that's where i usually meet and stage for a run over wheeler. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:50 am 

Well i guess its set then FRIDAY at 10:00 a.m. at the parking area right off the freeway. Roll is at 10:30a.m.. Please we would like for a few more people to go because we really had fun on the mormon well trail run. Hope to see a bunch of people there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:32 pm 

Hey, did you guys make this run? Just curious because I was wondering what conditions you found. I haven't been up to the summit since the first of March, and there was a 6 foot snow drift just over the summit headed toward Vegas. (I would have mentioned this to ya had I seen the post before right this second, so if you had to turn back, I'm really sorry.)

Anyway, the knowledge (and challenge) of Wheeler Pass was what enticed me to buy my truck when I first came here, and it's a favorite for me, so I was just wondering what you encountered.

When my tires aren't on the trail, my mind still is...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

so? how'd it go? perspireing minds would like to know. :D hope you guys had a good run.

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:20 pm 

Do we need to send out a rescue party?

I can't wait to do this run again... that's the most fun I think I've ever had on a trail.

When my tires aren't on the trail, my mind still is...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 pm 

I will look for you guys tomorrow, just in case you are still there.
;)

Mike

http://www.MikeFlys.com/
http://www.DynoTraining.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:07 am 

Well it was very wet and flooded. A little unmelted snow nothing fresh. We went about half way and turned around. The weather was terrible