Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 am 

Hello i was making plans with a couple friends to go on a jeep trip on the 17th and we dont know enough trails or arent experienced enough to go out alone. I was wondering if anyone wanted to be a trail boss for maybe a trip on the mormon well trail. I just wanted to know if anyone would be up for it.

Last edited by vitamin43 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:35 am 
Site Admin

first off i need to tell you that most of us don't yet have time machines so leading a trail on february 17th is going to be a little rough. :shock: :lol: just messing with you. :D mormon well is plenty easy and you shouldn't have any problem getting yourself over it. make sure you have full gas tank before you leave and plan on eating lunch on the trail. there are 2 side trails off mormon, 1 is gass peak and the other is pine nut camp, both will take time away from running the main trial as you have to return the same way you go in. it's well marked so getting lost shouldn't be an issue. the stetch from peak-a-boo canyon to the picnic area will probably be pretty dusty. enjoy 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:22 pm 

this is a cool trail, we did it a few weeks ago and there was still a lot of snow at the top of the pass, around 2 feet and lots of mud and ruts. it was tons of fun, and we had a nice lunch at the campground with all the snow... we even saw some people camping on the back half of the trail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Remember to stay on the trail. You are in the the Desert National Wildlife Refuge. If you are caught going off the trail, the fine can be expensive.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:12 am 

Just kidding about the february thing haha. Well that will work thank you guys for the information this will be my first run so i'm hoping for some good fun. I was wondering how long the trail should take if we leave pretty early in the morning. And will i need extra gas?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:35 am 

And if anyone wants to go we will be meeting at the corn dreek refuge. I dont have a time decided yet because i dont know how long the trail will take. I also wanted to know which trip is better? Whouldi follow the womp trail out or go to the sawmill road?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 am 
Site Admin

give yourself time to look around at corn creek, plenty to see. if you leave with full tanks you'll be fine and not need extra gas. unless some one has an old cj with a tiny tank but a newer jeep with a 16 or 20 gallon tank will be fine. you take mormon all the way to the top then you have 2 option, you can come back down the way you went up orrrrr you can continue down the east side to sawmill road and take it out to us93. from us93 turn right and head for i15 and back into vegas. from corn creek to us93 and back to north town is something like 96 miles i think. it'll be 8 hours on the trail either way. have fun and be safe, cell phone coverage up there is iffy so try not to get into trouble, it's a long hike out to help. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm 

we have 3 jeeps that will be coming so far working on a fourth. Would love to make this a big run if anyone has that day off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

vitamin43 wrote:
we have 3 jeeps that will be coming so far working on a fourth. Would love to make this a big run if anyone has that day off.

Be careful what you wish for. Having 30 vehicles on the trail together can be quite a handful. Trust me, I know from experience. Also, if you are doing Mormon, take some garbage bags with you. We always do some clean-up on our Adopted trail.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:15 pm 

Sure no problem. I havn't even been on a club run yet but i'd be happy to help out a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:46 pm 

17th is a tuesday yeah? I might be able to go with you guys. keep us informed what time to meet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:57 pm 

Just to put in my two cents... :roll:

As Bob said, if you do Mormon Wells take some trash bags. But be sure to check in at the Ranger Station too and let them know you are with the Backroaders. This lets them know we are doing our part to patrol and "police" the trail.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:59 pm 

last time I went (I think it was a tues), I stopped at the ranger station to check in but it was closed. I think its only open on weekends

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:41 pm 

Yeah we will be happy to stop in and let them know. We have agreed on a roll time on 10:30 A.M.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:35 am 

Meet time 10:30AM roll time is 10:45. Please let me know if anyone plans on coming