Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:50 am 

CANCELLED

Since the airport kept my mom from flying in on Wednesday evening, the next available flight for her is Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, it defeats my purpose to go on the run when I have made plans for my mom and I to visit family in the Kingman area which we still can do. Also, since she is coming in around 1500 hours, I wouldn't be back in time if I did go. That's two runs cancelled because of the weather. :evil:

A few months ago, Jamie lead a run in the Kingman, AZ area. We were heading down to do Moss Wash, but we turned one trail too soon. The trail we went on was a lot of fun with a few somewhat scary places, getting us up in elevation in the mountians. It was awesome.

Anyway, I made plans to visit some family in the area later that afternoon, so I figured I'd do some wheelin' in the morning.

According to the book "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails", the trail is as follows:

Difficulty: Difficult. Deep washouts, challenging rock obstacles and steep climbs. Frequently narrow road with tight brush. Excellent articulation or lockers required. High ground clearance a must. Not suitable for stock sport utility vehicles. Avoid this trail when heavy rains are forecast because dangerous flash flooding is possible. It sounds like it's a little more extreme than Potato Ridge's wash if you've ever been through it and off the main trail.

The highest point reaches 6,400 feet elevation or so. I'll have to see what the weather is like and see if it snows in that area at that elevation or not. I don't do snow on steep mountian trails.... :P There is the Gold King Mansion and some mines along the way to see and explore. Bring refreshments and food for lunch because it will be a long day. I will not be returning to Vegas with the group, but I will make sure everyone knows the directions back before I depart for my relatives house.

Meeting Place and time to be announced at a later date on this posting. I'll update the info here, so check this post prior to the run for info.

Last edited by JeepinJoe02 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:23 am 

Joe,
Do you intend to start the trail from Yucca? If you do then there is the option to stop at the Hualapai lodge and perhaps get to see the Elk that are around there most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:46 pm 

Joe I sent you a PM

Marla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 pm 

Lee wrote:
Joe,
Do you intend to start the trail from Yucca? If you do then there is the option to stop at the Hualapai lodge and perhaps get to see the Elk that are around there most of the time.

I was going to head south on Blake Road to Moss Wash then up to the Hualapai Mountain Country Park and into Kingman from there. I looked around my TOPO map and didn't come across where you were pointing out. It would be cool to see Elk in their natural habitat though. I better keep the the original plan for now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 am 

Cancelled due to weather and time constrictions, again, I'm sorry to have to cancel, but I must. :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:42 am 

Hard to believe :? Mojave runs cancelled by SNOW!

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 am 

Am I living in Colorado again?

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:19 am 

I was working at Sam's Club Wednesday night and I thought I was back in Ohio...that snow storm was crazy!!! Image