Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:05 am 

Updated

Cancelled due to bad weather

I figured I'd post this now so anyone who would like to attend can mark it in their calenders. My mom will be in town for Christmas and she wants to go on a run. She don't know that I took a couple vacation days off to do this run. I'm planning another run on Saturday, the 20th, to Kingman's Moss Wash perhaps. So look for that one if you can't make this one.

I know we will be meeting at Whiskey Pete's in Primm, aka State Line. Time to be announced when it gets closer. Since it gets dark early, it will probably be a fairly early meeting time. Late for me since I'm use to being up at 4 am. No, it won't be that early...LOL. I'm thinking tentatively 7 am. We will travel south on I-15 about 15 miles or so and exit on Bailey Road. Shortly from that point we will hit dirt, and air down.

We will continue in a somewhat southward direction, passing an old gravesite and then stopping at Riley's Camp to see how much is still there. To this point I will be following the tracks of a prior club run. From this point we will back track a very short distance and take a different trail that will bring us reallly close to Kessler Peak and come to Cima Road at Kessler's Ranch. My topo map shows a trail that starts across the pavement and heads west to Cima Dome. We will cross Cima Dome from the east and cross the southern part. If this works out, we will meet up with the original club run tracks at tank 1 where we will cross over and loop around Button Mountain. Just a little side exploration which will bring us back to the original club run tracks.

From there we will follow the original tracks through the cinder cones and head to the Lave Tube. We'll stop there to explore that area. We'll head along until shortly past tank 6 where we will head off to a really cool waterfall made from flowing lava. From there we will be near Kelbaker Road. Depending on the time, we may air up and head to I-15 and home, or head up the road about 5 miles and jump on another trail that kind of follows I-15, zig-zag along until we reach Cima Road. That will add about 23 miles of dirt miles to the trip. The trail miles will be about 75 miles or so.

Some trails will be new to me, but for the most, it's pretty much stock friendly. A few spots are a little harder around the big waterfall, but nothing bad as far as I can remember.

It's going to be a long day so bring refreshments and something to eat or snack on. See you there!!!

I'll post the time at the top of this posting when I nail it down, so check back at least a few days before the run if you are planning on attending.

Last edited by JeepinJoe02 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:17 am 

well, since this is a Thursday run, and I've been wanting to get back out there, there is a good chance I'll come along.

sweet.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 am 

Joe I can't make the Thursday run....but would love to the run on the 20th. Looking foward to seeing your mom!

Cya on the 20th

Marla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:39 am 

Howdy Jeepin' Joe,

Sounds like a hoot!! Where at Whiskey Pete's. What should I look for? Yes, I'm in!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)
I'm dysfunctional but my camera works!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:18 am 

when you get over to cima you need to go over to the hole in the wall it is so much fun over the go through the pass or go though the caverns it cost about 3$ last time i was there if you never been you will love seeing it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:39 am 

vegasdesertfox wrote:
Howdy Jeepin' Joe,

Sounds like a hoot!! Where at Whiskey Pete's. What should I look for? Yes, I'm in!

We usually meet in the open parking lot toward the southeast near the gas station. I drive a bright yellow Jeep TJ and Sunrunner drives a bright red Rubicon. We'll probably head down there together that morning. Still working out the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:47 am 

BC Toys wrote:
when you get over to cima you need to go over to the hole in the wall it is so much fun over the go through the pass or go though the caverns it cost about 3$ last time i was there if you never been you will love seeing it.

Hey BC Toys, we won't be going to Cima itself, but I see the area you are talking about. The Mitchell Caverns are in that area too. I'll have to keep that in mind for another trip there. It looks awesome!! Thanks for the info!! I found this website with a map of the area. http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/mojave/mojaftmap.html I was wondering where the Hole-in-the-wall actually was located. Then I saw all the other places to go explore. I know there is a lot of cool things to see in the Mojave National Preserve. Just got to find the time to go out there and explore!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:07 pm 

Howdy Jeepin' Joe,

To get to the Mitchell Cavern's there's a couple of ways. Once you past state line(Primm) Exit I-15 south at Nipton and head east then turn south on the Cima/Kelso Rd(that's the short cut to Joshua Tree NP and points in So CA., before I-15 that was the main road to Disneyland). It is also know as the Morning Star Mine Rd. When you get to Cima continue for 3 0r 4 miles and turn(east) Cedar Canyon Rd. It is a graded portion of the old Mohave Trail and drive maybe 12 miles to(more like 7miles) and turn right(south) onto the Black Canyon Rd. Black Canyon Rd. goes right by "Hole-In-The-Wall Visitor Center which is usually closed. Stay on Black Canyon rd. You will hit black-top(surprise) but stay on Black Canyon Rd until you get to the intersection of Essex Rd. There at Essex Rd turn Right(NW) and drive 15 more miles and you are there at Mitchell Carverns. On your way to Hole-in-the-wall there will be a right turn to "mid-hills" campground which is very nice in terms of semi-primitive camping! Excellent overall views of the "Cima Dome" you can really see the remains of an ancient mtn range from the western campsites at mid-hills! Great stars too!

Another way is to follow the Cima/Kelso Rd down south to Kelso. At Kelso turn left and follow the Kelbaker Rd to I-40. Take I-40 east to Essex Rd and then head NW for twenty-five miles. There you go! If you go to Kelso, there are the Kelso Dunes! Largest sanddunes(protected) in the lower 48 states. Great primitive camping! Been there many times. Mitchell Caverns are a must see also. So is Ft. Piute but that is another place and that's some 90 miles of paved road then 25 of dirt one way! Another awesome trip!

If you continue on the Kelbaker Rd south of I-40 you'll hit the old route 66. Neat run there and into the old town of Amboy and Amboy Crater(volcanco that blew up 9000 years ago). From Vegas to Joshua Tree NP is about 235 miles almost straight south. I didn't mean to steal anyone's thunder, but I've been here a long time, had childhood friends' dads that worked on the UP railroad and in Henderson at the TIMET plant there. It seems like I know this area like it was on the back on my hand. This past summer in July, camped with wife for 4 days in Death Valley! I have artist friends that live in Tecopa, CA too. I apologize if I seem all over the trail, but had to change my name to desertfox from cowpies when I first started on the webby! Hope you don't mind.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)
I'm dysfunctional but my camera works!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14 pm 

Awesome info vegasdesertfox. I'll make sure I keep it for a future run to that area. Right now, it's a little further south than my intended route. There is so much area to cover. I've been on the route we're taking on Thursday two or three times already. I love it!!! Only reason for this trip is to take my mom through it. She hasn't been through there before and I want her to see all the volcanic activity in our own backyard...LOL Taking a camping/wheelin' trip in that area sounds like something fun to do in the near future. I'll definitely keep it on the back burner. :wink: Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:55 pm 

I'm gonna try and make this run . I would rather go on Saturdays run , but my work schedule says no way . :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:22 am 

wish i wasn`t going to be in SLC,UT

next time count me in!
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

mac wrote:
wish i wasn`t going to be in SLC,UT

next time count me in!
:wink:

Hey Mac... I thought you were suppose to be in SLC through the 13th. The run is listed for the 18th. :?

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 pm 

>
Terrible's freecation.
>
http://www.kvbc.com/global/story.asp?s=9491549

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 am 

We just got back from the Mohave . We saw Riley's camp and Cima Road, but didn't see the Lava Tubes or Hole in the wall. We really want to see these and more so we will be there. :D Rex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 pm 

Rex & Shirley wrote:
We just got back from the Mohave . We saw Riley's camp and Cima Road, but didn't see the Lava Tubes or Hole in the wall. We really want to see these and more so we will be there. :D Rex

Well, I don't know Rex...you with that Nth Degree lift and all...you're going to make me jealous!!! LOL ...it will be great to see you and Shirley, and it will be awesome that you will be going.

We'll be going to visit the Lava Tubes. It's on a side trail before you get to Cima Road. Hole in the wall, on the other hand, is in a totally different area. I want to see that, too so I'll try to maybe put something together after the new year.