Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:29 pm 

*Reschedule for next weekend 12/15-12/16 due to illness*

I'm heading up to Caliente for some Christmas Tree hunting, by way of Kane Springs Road. There's an old ranch site at Kane Springs, as well as numerous petroglyphs: http://www.robertwynn.com/KaneSprings.htm

The road from Elgin to Caliente is technically closed, but passable. I might even roll over Applewhite Summit (Tom's Club run 2 months ago)and over to Oak Springs Summit so I can hit more areas to get trees. If I go that way, (Oak Springs) I might stop and hit the trilobite fossil site there.

Anyone is welcome to tag along. There's various ways in and out so anyone looking for a day jaunt can turn out likely anytime they want. I'm staying over Saturday and will do some exploring/tree hunting Sunday before coming back. Waiting to hear back, but I'm sure I'll have room for anyone wanting to stay over.

Will be stock friendly, as I'll be pulling my small trailer and not looking to get into anything really rough. Most of it will be either graded or well traveld 2 track. From Vegas to Kane and over Applewhite into Caliente is about 160 miles give or take. From Applewhite back to Alamo/Ash Springs for anyone up for just the day is probably about 180, then 90 miles back from Alamo to Vegas. Or you can go to Kane, then back out, which is probably 150 miles if I had to guess.

I'll also have an extra tree tag or two if anyone wants one. But you have to cut it down and haul it back. I'll have a chain saw or two.

Anyway, meet at the US93 turn off from I-15 @ 7:30AM, roll by 8. Lunch, snacks, gas and warm clothes, etc. It's been snowing up there for the last 2 days, so we might even get into some of the white stuff.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Last edited by GaryB on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:20 pm 

I need to get away for a few days and that sounds like fun, but I have to go diving on Saturday at 1 pm to get my Advanced Open Water C-card. If that goes well, I could head up Saturday after the dive, and meet you at your cousin's house (that's where you'll be staying, right?), and do the Sunday's run.

So, I should be up for Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:41 pm 

Yes, I'll be staying at the Caliente Spa as Al calls it. BTW, if anyone wanted to stay over, I'll have some room. Bring a sleeping bag and a pillow, there's 3 beds to choose from, plus lots of floor space for air mattress's.

You'll have to fight Joe for the spot in front of the fire place though :wink:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:48 pm 

Hey gary i was thinking about taking the family up to Caliente for a christmas tree. I have never done this before. just wondering what the trees look like. Are they the traditional looking christmas tree or something close to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:26 pm 

SinCityExplorer wrote:
Hey gary i was thinking about taking the family up to Caliente for a christmas tree. I have never done this before. just wondering what the trees look like. Are they the traditional looking christmas tree or something close to it.

Here's a few pics of what the trees look like.

With a little looking, you can find a really nice tree. Nothing like you buy at the tree lots, but nice none-the-less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:50 pm 

Guys,,, not to be a Scrooge here,,, but what is the point in this yearly rituall of 'tree hunting'?? I've been taught by you very people and all the offroading community to not deface or even touch stuff in the desert and wilderness areas... I agree that hunting of certain animals like Deer helps to 'thin' the herds to help them survive in an area that can only support so many... Are you telling me that these defensless trees reproduce and overpopulate an area so fast as to have to be 'thined' out to make way for new ones ??? I thought that these trees take years to grow to the size that you would want for a Christmas Tree... Are you planting new ones near where you cut down yours to replace it ??? It seems to me that you could buy a better shaped one that smells just as good from one of the hundreds of lots here in the Valley,, for less than you spend just in gas to get there and back !!! Again my question,,, " What is the point ??" Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 pm 

SinCityExplorer wrote:

Well, they're really nothing like a lot bought tree. Those come from tree farms where they are groomed their whole life. Most are also fir trees, or over priced spruces.

Here, you are allowed to cut pinion pines and juniper (cedar) trees. You've likely seen them if you have been in any forested area in the south west. You cannot cut spruce, ponderosa, or any other tree that may be found.

Like Joe said, if you put time into looking, you can find a decent tree that can be groomed to look even better by trimming or pulling branches into place.

And the smell of a fresh pine can't be beat by any of the lot trees that have been already cut for a month or two.

Myself, I stay away from the cedars; simply as they are very dry and I really don't like the look of their needles. You can find more perfectly shaped cedars than pines, and many take them. But I'd rather have a fake tree than one of them.

Here's the link to the application, though I'd just drive up there and get the tag in person, unless you're planning to come along with us. I think I'm only getting 1 or 2 trees, but I have 5 tags.

http://www.blm.gov/content/etc/medialib ... 202007.pdf

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Last edited by GaryB on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56 am 

LV Cabbie wrote:
Guys,,, not to be a Scrooge here........ Phil

The why I do it part:

Well, my family has been doing it for years, long before I was around and there was a BLM to manage it. We used to get large groups of close friends and family and go camping and tree hunting, creating many great memories (and funny stories) along the way. About the time I became a teenager, we just stopped and got a damn plastic tree. Families got too large and busy, friends moved away, my Dad got cranky, etc. Once Karen and I got married, I told her about it and she thought we should start the whole tradition thing up again. To me at least, there's nothing more fun than bouncing around the hills trying to find "that perfect tree", bringing it home and decorating it. The smell alone makes it worth it, something no lot tree can touch IMO. And it's not really as easy as you might imagine. For every 1 tree you cut, you might stop and check out 25 others. Everything from double trunks to sagebrush growing though them will ruin your image as you get closer to it. But in the end it's worth it, even if you spend 10 times that of a lot tree IMO. It's about keeping family traditions alive, making memories, and having pride in doing it yourself. Because anyone can go to Wal-Mart and buy a cloned tree that's not native to Nevada, and load it up in their SUV.

Now the eco-friendly part:

Only the BLM allows tree cutting. And they only allow it in certain areas, so you can't cut in wilderness, re-planted burns, etc. They over see the areas that you can cut, and close off areas that don't need thinning. They also don't allow you to cut just any tree. And yes, they do get thick up there, and really any place it actually rains or snows. I can take you to areas in Lincoln County alone where you could get lost among the trees 100' from your vehicle.

The idea (as I understand it) is if they allow people to cut trees once a year for Christmas, the handful of people (only 5000 tags a year in Lincoln, it varies per county and BLM district) that do go will help keep growth managed, and help deter catastrophic wild fires by eliminating issues of over growth. If cedar and pinion trees are growing too close to each other, neither will likely be as healthy or be able to grow as full as they could if they had room to grow. So you get a bunch of sick, dead trees waiting to burn. And yes, they do grow on top of each other quite regularly, as their seeds tend to just fall close by and not get dispersed over a large area all the time. It's also high desert, and though they get more water than us, they do have dry years and too many dry years will create issues when you have X number of trees fighting for X amount of water.

It really is like the reason behind keeping animal populations controlled, just the outcome is different. Deer get over populated and not enough food leads to famine and illness that will wipe out a population and possibly spread to other herds or animals. Trees get too thick and don't get enough water, can't expand, etc and they get sick and die. Then you have a bunch of dead trees waiting for that next lighting bolt. Along comes a wildfire that completely throws the ecosystem out of whack. Now don't get me wrong, I feel that mother nature can take care of herself, and wild fires are a necessary evil. But if a handful of people are allowed to cut down a tree a year, they might just help keep things in order. It's also less destructive, as you won't notice it as much as if they allow logging or they "chain" and area. Chaining is where they take a very large boat anchor chain and drag it between two large bulldozers wiping everything out in the chains path. They don't do that anymore (to my knowledge) as controlled burns, wood gathering and minor tree harvesting (like Christmas trees) is a lot more effective and less destructive.

You also have to imagine 5000 trees (I'd say the actual number is 1/2 -3/4 that number) being taken in an area that is over 10,000 square miles containing millions of trees. At the cut and growth rate, there is likely no negative impact by allowing tree cutting.

I'm sure there's quite a few southern Californians looking at their burned out homes and surrounding forest that wish better forestry management had been in effect in their area.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 pm 

Thanks for that info Gary... I feel much better now and understand the reasoning for this tradition... It does make sense.. But,, remember the little cartoon pix I sent,,, be sure and 'sneak up' on them !! LOL Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:06 am 

Not sure if I can make it this year. I might be able to head up Saturday with Joe. I will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am 

Hey Gary i'll be there with the family. I'll only be going for the day then heading back to vegas. Do you still have any extra tags? If you do i'll take one and give you the cash when we meet up. If thats ok. See you saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm 

Phil, great question
Gary, great answer
That sounds like a really cool time. Wish I could join you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:23 pm 

SinCityExplorer wrote:
Do you still have any extra tags?

Yeah, I should have one or two extra at least.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 pm 

I'm going to have to reschedule for next weekend due to being too sick. Still planning on the same outing, time, etc.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:08 pm 

GaryB wrote:
I'm going to have to reschedule for next weekend due to being too sick. Still planning on the same outing, time, etc.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Get well soon!!! I wasn't going to be able to make it on Saturday night or Sunday anyway. I forgot I had a company party to go to. I hope next week works out to go. We'll see!!