Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fun/pre-run Friday 9/21
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:09 pm 

I'm heading up to the Kyle Canyon area to try and create a route for a future club run. Last time I was there, the hardest spots were a 2, but we'll see how the summer rains have treated the area, and some roads will be completely new to me, so I don't know their condition. Trying to connect Grapevine Springs, Lucky Strike Mine and Deer springs, which I think is doable from what I hear.

Meet at the McDonald's on Durango & US95, East side of the freeway in the Albertson's parking lot @ 8:30, roll by 9.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:19 pm 

GaryB wrote:
I'm heading up to the Kyle Canyon area to try and create a route for a future club run. Last time I was there, the hardest spots were a 2, but we'll see how the summer rains have treated the area, and some roads will be completely new to me, so I don't know their condition. Trying to connect Grapevine Springs, Lucky Strike Mine and Deer springs, which I think is doable from what I hear.

Meet at the McDonald's on Durango & US95, East side of the freeway in the Albertson's parking lot @ 8:30, roll by 9.

There is a trail from Kyle Canyon road through Grapevine Spring over to the powerline road to Angel Peak if that is what you are referring to. There is a few spots that are tight for full sized vehicles but not too bad. Definite desert pinstripe.

I've been on a trail that went to what I thought was Lucky Strike mine, but I think that was before I had my GPS. Deer Springs...you're on you own on that one. :P I may have been past it or near it, but I'll have to check my Topo maps to see where it is exactly.

It sounds like a fun time and I wish I could go, but that dirty old four letter word called "work" is standing in my way. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:26 am 

The route I'm looking at goes from Kyle Canyon Rd. to Lee Canyon Rd. You drive one range over from Lucky Strike if you do Angel Peak. I have gone to Lucky Strike and out to Kyle, but never over to Lee Canyon. No current map says you can, but I saw some roads that looked like they would, and have been told by a few people they did it, or so they think :roll: Plus I have a 1908 TOPO map of Mt.Charleston that sort of shows a road. Then again, it also shows the sawmills at Cold Creek, the road from Cold Creek to Lee Canyon, and the road from Harris Springs to Rocky Gap (Potato) road too :|

Deer Springs or Deer Creek runs parallel to Lee Canyon Rd. and is the un-official name of the asphalt road from Kyle to Lee up by the lodge. The same road the look out and Robber's Roost is on.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:33 am 

BTW for anyone coming, plan on getting gas someplace else. There is an Albertson's gas station there, and a few others. When I was there last week, they were $.10+ a gallon more than my local spots. All the rich folks must live out that way.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:24 pm 

Well, luckily no one came as it turned out to be a bust. I did find my road, but it was over grown to the point I doubt it would be legal to run on it. Even so it would not fall under the terms of a club run as I see the new damage to my underside of the Scout :?

Also, the trail from Grapevine Springs to Grassy Springs is no longer. I have done it in the past, as has Joe (Jeepin that is) to my knowledge. But the rains from the past two years have completely removed any type of access from one spring to the other, as well as the over growth from likely just lack of use. It goes from about a 3.5 to a low 5 within a hundred feet, and then to an atv only trail if at best. This trail was written up in the "Great Basin SUV Trails" Vol. I. While the road to Grapevine Springs is still easy to do, anything past that has likely become an in and back out type of trail for anyone with out a fully locked, lifted and willing to damage 4x4.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4