Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:26 pm 

It's time for a run to the mountians. It may be a little cooler up there.

Meet at the Chevron/McDonalds on Ann Road east of SR 95 at 8 am, head out at 8:30 am. Going north on 95, exit Ann Road, make a right and just past the first traffic signal on the right for those who haven't been there before, is the Chevron/McDonalds.

Doing Grapevine Canyon then up to Angel Peak and then the trail to Lucy's Waterfall and back to the main road that goes to Mt. Charleston. Last time Al and I ran this, it took about 4 hours trail time with a stop on Angel Peak.

I would rate the trail around a 2.5 and desert pinstripe most definite through Grapevine Wash, at least the last time I was there. Vegas Valley rates it stock friendly. I think a stock Jeep would have no problem. Anything larger is bound to get desert pinstripe, but should have no problem trail wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:40 pm 

I was gonna go, but just remembered I have to work ALL stinkin' day Saturday. maybe next time...

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:50 am 

Can't make this one :cry:
My older son, Julian, will be coming up from Phoenix this weekend. Have FUN up there, you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:14 pm 

We're in see you in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 pm 

Ill be there :lol:

FZJ 80 series,UZJ 100 series,URJ 200 series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:44 pm 

Great!! We got some XJ's going (or possibly an XJ and a ZJ)!! Alright!! We need to get some pics of you guys doing Lucy's waterfall. That will be cool. See ya in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:46 am 

:cry: Sorry I had to miss this one... But the budget is tight right now and there are things that I just have to get done around here... Have fun and I'll be waiting to see the pix... Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:50 pm 

You certainly missed a fun run today, thanks to all who came out and joined in the fun.

While my pics are uploading, I'd figure I'd tell a little story. After we hit blacktop, Rob and I went up Harris Springs Road to do a little more wheelin'. We picked up a trail that he and I did some time back, before I had my GPS. We were running this wash and the trail went up to the left out of the wash, when Rob noticed a nice little canyon to possibly go through. In the last few pics, you will see the canyon I'm referring to.

We got through the rocky stuff which was rather fun, when we came across a 2006 Tacoma that apparently had been stolen and vandalized. We were able to get cell phone reception so we gathered the insurance card of the owner with the VIN, the GPS coordinates, and called Metro. We gave the info to find out it WAS a stolen vehicle. We proceeded to attempt to get to the road that goes to Mt. Charleston, but we were in this wash with no way to really get out. We tried in one spot, but started to go in the direction we came from but on top of the ridge with the wash down below. So we turned around to go back into the wash and drive further down.

I finally saw this steep hill that climbs out and hopefully to the trail I saw on my GPS. I went first to investigate and sure enough, the trail was on top. We headed eastward and ended up on pavement on Grand Teton. Nowhere near the road to Mt. Charleston. We got the cross streets and called Metro again to tell them where they could meet us.

To make a long story shorter, we found the truck at around 3 pm and we departed for home from the Grand Teton meeting place at nearly 5:30 pm with no Metro units even coming by there. We called a few times and they were unable to give an ETA.

I got a call from a Metro Dispatcher at 6:45 pm. I talked to her for a few. Then a little while later, a Metro Cadet called and said he was at Grand Teton with is 4x4 unit and a tow truck. So I attempted to give him directions to the stolen truck. He called me back a few times to narrow down the way to the truck. The last call, he said he had to abort the attempt because other calls were getting backed up.

So, tomorrow, after 3, I may be getting a call from the metro officer, to meet him and take him to the location. That sounds like fun and I was eager to help get this trashed tacoma off the trail and out of the desert.

Okay, the pics are finally up and all you have to do is click the pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm 

Here's the 411 vehicle pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:48 pm 

Job well done joe! its always a pleasure to wheel with you guys and gals.....it was nice to feel the cool breeze up there....that was definetly a FUN RUN!! :lol:

FZJ 80 series,UZJ 100 series,URJ 200 series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:07 pm 

Thanks Joe for a fun day. As usual great pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:13 pm 

Thanks for coming out and having fun.

Just a little update on the stolen vehicle...I got together with Metro and Quality Towing, and I led them to the vehicle and it was removed from the wash and the trail. It took a day to do it, but now it is gone and not littering our valley and blocking our trail. :wink: