Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:02 pm 

Here's the link to the pictures of my trail ride home after the fun day Saturday following Gary around at the National Trails Day event.

I went through Barnes Canyon, up to Ella Mountain, then through Pennsylvania Canyon, finally finding the trail to Pennsylvania mine, then into Elgin, following Meadow Valley Road to Carp then to I-15 home.

It was a fun time and I enjoyed being out on the trail even if I was by myself. I know, you should never go wheelin' by yourself, but I didn't want to do pavement home.

I got to see some wildlife, in which you'll see when you view the pictures. So enjoy!!

Just click on the thumbnail pic to go to the album :D

Last edited by JeepinJoe02 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 pm 

Great pix Joe,,,, I would like to run this area some time... Any ideas on the "suspisious package" ??? It looked rather intrigeing.... :?: 8)

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:51 pm 
I would have looked. Maybe it was something neat :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:34 am 

I would have tried to lasso and ride the llama. Yeehaa... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:29 pm 

Maybe I'm a dork, where are the pictures? I'm kinda new here..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:48 pm 

Jeepgal wrote:

Welcome! Scroll back up to JeepingJoe's post, and there is a thumbnail of his first photo. Click on that and it will take you to his link of photos.

You are NOT a dork! You a female jeeper, right? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:18 pm 

Jeepgal wrote:

Never even crossed my mind, Jeepgal. I usually write "click the pic" but for some odd reason, I didn't. I fixed it though. :wink:

Thanks for guiding her in the right direction, Lucy. I didn't get online to check the new posts earlier like I normally do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 am 

Very nice pictures! Paul & I were just there the weekend before. What is the name of the pass/mtn. that you came through right above the Elgin school house? We drove up that then came back down, didn't know where the trail would lead us, didn't want to get lost.

Then we took the wash/canyon south from the school house, went only as far as the old buildings that are out in the middle of the wash. Old rail road buildings maybe?

We spent all day out there then headed back to camp at Oak Springs summit. What an interesting place!

Post subject: Cool Pics
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:07 am 

Cool pics Joe...Next time we are following you home. I haven't been back in those mountains in over 15 years.

Catch ya on the trail soon.

Bobalui & Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:20 pm 

Jeepgal wrote:
Very nice pictures! Paul & I were just there the weekend before. What is the name of the pass/mtn. that you came through right above the Elgin school house? We drove up that then came back down, didn't know where the trail would lead us, didn't want to get lost.

Then we took the wash/canyon south from the school house, went only as far as the old buildings that are out in the middle of the wash. Old rail road buildings maybe?

We spent all day out there then headed back to camp at Oak Springs summit. What an interesting place!

I don't know if that pass has a specific name. I looked at my GPS topo maps and it didn't state any for it or the mountain other than Pennsylvania Canyon. From the one room school house, that trail drops you down into Pennsylvania Canyon. Anyway, if you follow that wash you will go up to the south side of Ella Mountain where the Fire Outlook is located. Then there are many other trails that take off from there to go explore.

The other trail that you were saying had old buildings in the wash; that sounds like you were on Meadow Valley Road. That will take you to Lyman Crossing and eventually Carp. Once you reach Carp, the trail stops at a gate with no tresspassing signs. But just after Lyman Crossing and before Carp, you hang a left at a "Y" and that is Carp Road which will take you all the way to I-15

If you have a Garmin GPS, I could send you the tracks. Everywhere I go, I track the trails and I'm willling to share. :D

Post subject: Re: Cool Pics
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:23 pm 

Bobalui wrote:
Cool pics Joe...Next time we are following you home. I haven't been back in those mountains in over 15 years.

Catch ya on the trail soon.

Bobalui & Vicki

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

There is still a lot of trails I haven't been on and I've been on a lot of them. It is such an awesome area to go explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:58 pm 

I don't believe the pass has a specific name either, at least none I have ever heard of.

BTW Joe, how rough was the canyon? Maybe some day it will get packed done enough or the BLM/County will grade it and we can make a club run out of it.

Or maybe an over night fun run. I do know there are/were some camp grounds at the base of Ella on the North side, near where the old saw mill was located.

Then again, there is always the Christmas Tree trip :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:50 pm 

GaryB wrote:
I don't believe the pass has a specific name either, at least none I have ever heard of.

BTW Joe, how rough was the canyon? Maybe some day it will get packed done enough or the BLM/County will grade it and we can make a club run out of it.

Or maybe an over night fun run. I do know there are/were some camp grounds at the base of Ella on the North side, near where the old saw mill was located.

Then again, there is always the Christmas Tree trip :wink:

Hey Gary, I think the wash was pretty much beat down and a lot easier to follow since we went through there last time. It appears that it has become quite popular for ATV's because the tracks are a lot narrower than OHV's. The trail coming out of PA canyon to Elgin is not any worse than the backside of Packsaddle loop IMO. For a "Club Run"...I think it would be fine. Of course, I'd like a second opinion. :wink:

There are tons of places to camp. We just camped out on the east side of Virgin Peak off Gold Butte Road at 5,100 feet elevation and it was perfect. Not too hot and not too cold. Look for pictures and write up in another post soon.