Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage Boxes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 pm 

I got tired of carrying all of my trail gear in tool bags on the floorboards, so I decided to look for storage boxes that sit on the wheel wells beside the back seat. Quadratec sells some from Tuffy that are speaker boxes with some storage as well. But at about $300, plus they are only kind of close to what I wanted, so I decided I could do better. Total expense was about $150 for materials. Most of that was the $100 for the 3 sheets of 16 gage 24" x 24" steel from Home Depot. If I was going to do it again, I would probably buy 18 gage from a supplier that would provide larger sheets for less money. The thinner steel would be a bit easier to bend, and I believe it would still be plenty strong enough to make the boxes. Besides that, the carpet was from JC Whitney ($12), and the rubberized tool box liner from Harbor Freight ($8). Carpet and liner were applied with 3M super 77 spray adhesive from Lowes ($10). Cam locks and piano hinge was purchased from McFadden-Dale Hardware store ($15).

Here is the link to pictures I took while making the boxes.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/5737762 ... host=rides

I hope this gets the ideas flowing,

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

Post subject: Re: Storage Boxes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 am 

In the past I carried three plastic totes inside the bed of my Tacoma, but now carry two .50 caliber military ammunition cans. They're tall and slim, and I can now sleep in the bed of my truck on overnighters instead of having to remove everything but the Hi-Lift jack.

A buddy of mine, who bought another parcel of property adjacent to his and is cleaning it up, found the cans among the trash left behind by the previous owners and didn't want them. I found a use for them.

I used to carry a duffel bag inside my cab with personal supplies, but now carry a small tote and duffel bag. These are mostly filled with personal items for comfort in case I have to sit in my truck for long periods awaiting help in times of heat or cold.

All this stuff is inside my Tacoma 24/7 because in my daily travels I often see a trail I've been looking at and want to take and on a whim take it. Never know what trouble I might find myself into ... :lol: And because of living in rural Nevada, if I break down on some back road or even I-80, it might come in handy.

For more details on what I carry in my containors, go to:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/toytaco.html#storage

... and ...

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/tacoma-carryon.html

Post subject: Re: Storage Boxes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:48 am 

Those boxes look great, Phydeaux. Your quite the craftsman! I can barely change out my headlamps! I'm very jealous.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"