Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:32 am 

Story by JeepinJoe02
many of you know Joe is an Associate Writer MOABJEEPER Magazine
I asked for Joe for his help in testing the BBQ and share the info to ALL 4x4 clubs members
Thanks to Joe and Al for help in testing.

Joe's words:
I know this is not your typical “Jeepâ€￾ article, but it is still worthy to write about. Many times, a number of us head out on the trail and do a little camping along the way. We pack up all our gear and head out for a nice two day weekend of wheelin’ and camping. If you drive a Wrangler you already know that space is at a premium. We pack everything we need into the smallest space we have and hopefully not forget anything that we may need while we’re out there.
To help with space, I was introduced to a neat little product called “Son of Hibachiâ€￾. I believe it’s been around for a while. On one website a consumer stated that they had one back in the “1970’sâ€￾. So, whether it is new or old, it is still a nice addition to your camping gear.

There is some assembly required and the directions are very plain and easy to follow. Once it was together, it was time to add some charcoal and see how easy it was to use. Following the step-by-step instructions on how to get the charcoal started, I found it to be an easy and efficient way to get your coals all fired up. I only had charcoal that had the lighter fluid already in it, but I would recommend the standard coals. I believe the taste of your food will be much better; without the taste of the fluid.
It took a little while to get use to the tool used to move the grills and keep from burning yourself on the hot parts. After I used it a few times, it got a lot easier. The setup and adjusting of the grills was easy. The handle did not get too hot to use and getting it on and off of the grills worked fine.
I allowed the charcoals to ash over to where they would be the hottest. Then it was time to close it up to find out if the coals got snuffed out. I closed the hibachi so the air was limited to the coals. I took a temperature reading and it was approximately 477 degrees Fahrenheit.
Normally when you are done cooking with charcoal you either let it burn itself out, or you dump it in your campfire or bury it under soil or rocks taking all precautions not to start a wildfire. Some places don’t allow the dumping or even the use of charcoal so please check with the forest service or park service beforehand.

The really cool thing about this product is that you can purchase a bag that you put the hibachi in as soon as you are done with it. I thought, yeah right!!! The temperature of the hibachi was nearly 480 degrees, but I put it in the bag according to the directions. Shortly after I zipped it all up, I took a temperature reading of approximately 184 degrees maximum on the outside of the bag. The instructions state that it is recommended that it sit for approximately 30 minutes before you load it in your vehicle.

At the 30 minute mark, the bag temperature read approximately 160 degrees maximum. It is still hot to the touch, but it can probably be packed in your vehicle as long as you are cautious of its placement. For an added measure, you could allow it to cool down a little longer while you’re packing up the rest of your gear.

The temperature dropped to approximately 138 degrees maximum at the 1 hour mark and was a lot cooler to the touch and I feel that at that time, I would pack it in my vehicle without any worry. Caution should still be taken so the unit stays standing and doesn’t have anything around it that heat may damage.

The “Son of Hibachiâ€￾ is made of cast iron parts. It is compact yet can cook a lot of food in a short amount of time. It appears to rather durable and should give many years of service. It is easy to use, with no muss and no fuss in cleaning it up. You can simply fold it up and put it in the snuffer bag and the heat inside will burn the leftover food off the grills. The bag has an extra pocket for other accessories and other accessories are available (like a battery operated rotisserie) and the bag can be used for other purposes, too.

I feel that this is a great product to have for those camping trips or tailgating or picnics in the park or whatever you may want to do. Some people may even want to own one to enjoy the great taste of charcoal over propane. Whatever the reason, whatever the season, the “Son of Hibachiâ€￾ will make a nice addition to your outdoor gear. Bon Appetite!!!

cooking shots from Al (afhanson72)
Al`s (afhanson72) review:

I had the pleasure of trying out the Son of Hibachi this weekend. Let me say this is the ultimate little grill, especially if you would rather cook with charcoal instead of propane. I set it up with charcoal and lit it per the instructions. It worked marvelously! The coals were ready to cook on in about 10 – 15 minutes. I cooked pork chops, hot dogs, and bratwurst all at the same time. There was plenty of room on the grilling surface to cook for my whole family of 5.

One of the best features for me is that when it is packed up it is nice and thin making it very easy to fit in my Jeep. This is ideal for camping trips and trips to the lake. The snuff out pouch provided also makes it easy to handle when hot and serves as a “no messâ€￾ packing solution for the back of your vehicle.

I give the Son of Hibachi a “two thumbs upâ€￾!

where to purchase:
Purchase on line

BBQ vid
Son of Hibachi In Action

I am giving away several of these BBQ`s at the Hump n Bump
see you there!
mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

i had one of those back in the 70's and used it right thru the 80's. great little bbq for an apartment dweller. used to grill on the steps in front of the door. always worked quick and grilled good. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:21 pm 

I've GOT one of these little wonders...unfortuntely it's in TX right now. I got it from my Grandpa, but it doesn't have the snuff-out bag...know any way to get one of those? Might have to make a trip home and pick the grill up. BBQ anyone??? :D

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

99 Wrangler Sahara
4" Pro Comp SA, Goodyear MT/R 33's
Slip-yoke Elim, CV drive shaft, 4.56 gears
Sunrider Softtop, Satellite Radio, Garmin 760 GPS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:04 am 

mac wrote:
where to purchase:
Purchase on line

Try that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 am 

:oops: Geez, just read and all questions will be answered. Thanks!

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

99 Wrangler Sahara
4" Pro Comp SA, Goodyear MT/R 33's
Slip-yoke Elim, CV drive shaft, 4.56 gears
Sunrider Softtop, Satellite Radio, Garmin 760 GPS