Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hey everybody, I came across some info that may be of use to some of you. I know that when out and about in my Jeep in the middle of summer there it would get a bit hotter than usual. There are a couple of things that you can do to combat this but most are expensive. You may or may not be aware that Jeep used to offer a 7 blade fan instead of the 5 blade that most TJ's came with. Those are not offered anymore and finding one in a junkyard is like finding a needle in a field of haystacks. The second problem with the 7 blade fan if you can find one is that Jeep never offered a heavy duty replacement fan clutch and the one for the 5 blade never did a real good job with the 7 blade fan attached. There is another option though. The 1993 Ford Explorer fan clutch and 10 (or 9 depending on the Explorer) blade fan bolts directly to the Jeep water pump. More importantly, they are available from Ford Dealers, the junkyard, or any autoparts store. So far, everybody that has tried it that I know of has seen better cooling as well as increased A/C effectiveness. The fan costs about $85 from Ford, and about $35 from autopart stores. The fan clutch runs about $65 from autoparts stores.

I do not yet have any info for those running the 4 cylinder (it comes with a smaller fan 16 vs. 18 inches.) I also do not yet know of anything for earlier model TJ's as they use a different fan clutch mount than later TJ's. So far, it looks like a 1986 Mustang fan clutch might work but the jury is still out. I will let you know as soon as I find out more. It should still work for those running body lifts, motor mount lifts, dropped transfer cases etc. but you may have to check for fan shroud clearance and reposition the shroud if necessary.

NBMC/CC/MP/LD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 pm 

I think I'll see if this might apply to a YJ. I've already converted to explorer brakes and am working on brackets for explorer sunvisors. Nothing like Ford parts in a Jeep. 8)

12 Tacoma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:51 pm 

It has now been confirmed that the fan clutch from a 1986 Ford Mustang GT is a direct replacement for the 1997-1999 TJ's and bolts to the Ford Explorer fan with no problems.

timandsuzie, I have no idea if the same would go for a YJ. If you decide to give it a go, please let me know.

For all, if you decide to give it a shot and the parts counter jockeys give you a choice, it seems that the "severe duty" or "heavy duty" fan clutchs seem to give the best results.

Andy

NBMC/CC/MP/LD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 pm 

I got the rundown from my brother-in-law, who is a GM for O'reilly auto parts. The fan is part number FA70332 from VDO, and runs $31.99. The clutch for the automatic is part number 2793 from Hayden, and is $65.99. For the manual transmission it is part number 2717 from Hayden, and cost is $39.99. The automatic transmission clutch fan is listed as "severe duty", and it might be a good idea to run that one in any case. I haven't actually tried to bolt one on to the stock water pump yet, but I am really optimistic about this fix. I have been fighting an overheating problem for three years. I was afraid my next step was to replace the motor.

If anyone beats me to it, I would love to hear how well it works.

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:25 pm 

UPDATE!

I did the fan conversion. Added the '93 Explorer 9 blade fan and the heavy duty clutch. While I was at it, I took out my VERY expensive all aluminum radiator (that was leaking) and put a new stock one back in ($130). New hoses, new water pump, new 160 degree thermostat as well. (might as well do it all if you're gonna do it)

RESULT:

I have had a cooling problem with this Wrangler for three years. I have chased and chased and chased it. Overheating problems, poor starts, hot A/C, the works. This replacement has actually done the job. The Wrangler runs at around 200-210 under load, and in the 180's when it's just tooling around. The A/C is blowing cold again (OK, it blows on the defrost until I replace the vacuum check valve, but that's easy). The new fan blade is plastic, so it has cut the weight that the water pump shaft is swinging, I suspect it will increase my life expectancy for that as well. So far I am very happy with this mod.

DOWNSIDE:

None as far as I can tell. But, remember to get shorter bolts to attach the fan to the clutch, the stock ones are a bit too long.

I may have been the guinea pig on this mod, but it seems to be doing the job as advertised. And the expense wasn't too bad, considering most Jeep part costs.

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.