Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mormon Well Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

A big THANKS goes out to Brad, Tom, Rex and Mac for assisting in the adoption of the Mormon Well trail.

After the subject of possibly adopting a trail in southern NV was brought up during the Club meeting, everyone was in favor of trying to adopt Mormon Well. Brad started talking to Amy Sprunger from the Desert Wildlife Refuge about adopting the trail. As Brad got busier with his upcoming move to Ruth, NV., he passed the torch down to Tom and Mac to carry on the talks with Amy. In turn, Tom asked Rex for assistance with this task. As a result of the work of all four of these gentlemen, the Club has become the proud adopted parent of the Mormon Well trail.

Thank you Brad, Tom, Rex and Mac. You guys ROCK!!!

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 pm 

I'm proud to have been a small part in the adoption of this trail. Not only will we clean up on the September Club Run, but any time you want to run the trail, sign in at the ranger station as a backroader, and pick up along the trail as you go.
Amy has placed trash bags at the visitors center which is open every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Pick one up, and pick up the trash!
Thanks,

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:20 pm 

For those of us that are newbee's, where is the Mormon Well Trail and what is it rated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:12 pm 

Control Freak wrote:
For those of us that are newbee's, where is the Mormon Well Trail and what is it rated?

If you drive north on SR 95 out of Vegas approximately 9.3 miles north of the Mt. Charleston turnoff, you will come to a road that cuts off to the right and goes to the Desert National Wildlife Range and the Corn Creek Field Station. Follow that road in and you will come to a T in the road. Left would take you to Alamo but is close right now, and to the right is Mormon Well road. It will go all the way up to 93 two miles south of SR 168, the cutoff to Glendale. The trail itself is an easy trail but very scenic. I hope that is what you were looking for. :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 pm 

Control Freak wrote:

Mormon Wells Road is in the sheep range mountains. Runs from north US95 (corn creek turn off) and goes through to US93. This trail can be run from either direction. I have not run this trail yet but i have been told that it rates about a 1.

From Las Vegas, take U.S. 95 North towards Reno or the Mt. Charleston area. Traveling on 95, drive past the turn to Mt. Charleston (Kyle Canyon Rd.), and continue on the freeway, while looking for the small brown sign CORN CREEK and a row of mailboxes on the R or E side, which is where you turn and head east. (If you reach Lee Canyon Rd on 95, you've gone too far -- turn around and look for the sign again). Once you've turned off the freeway, you'll go 4 miles on a gravel road to the Corn Creek field station. Do NOT take the right fork on the gravel road -- this will take you to the community of Corn Creek (horse ranches, trailers & a few residences). (Lat:36.43845 Lon:-115.3583)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:24 pm 

Thanks,

Wanda and I will have to go check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:52 am 

For those of you that haven't been on this trail,, here are my pix from our November club run. They should give you at least some idea as to what you might see.. Enjoy Phil

Click here >> Image

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC