Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 pm 

Hiya folks,

We had a blast on our run this weekend. I am looking for a decent Jeep Cherokee if anyone has one (or knows of someone who has one that they are selling). My price range is not too high (looking at $5000 or less) so I'm probably shooting at 2001 or earlier. I have been looking around Las Vegas for a few weeks, and literally 80% of the cherokees I've seen (mostly grands with the V-8s) have had major rear main seal leaks. If anyone has any advice on whether the 4.0 liter or 5.2 liter would be better for off-roading, please feel free to post here too. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:11 am 
Site Admin

i'm partial to true cherokee's, xj's, with 4.0's myself but geno loves grands with the 5.2s. grands are a little more like driving a cadillac off-road. i think duntov is looking to dump his grand when he gets back from korea, not sure what year it is. ALL JEEPS will leak from the rear main and it shouldn't be considered a bad thing. it's a jeep thing :D both cherokees and grand cherokees are great off-road vehicles.don't listen to those that say "grands can't wheel". 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 am 

Have you checked CraigsList yet? There are tons of them on there today.As far as I know, 2001 was the last year for XJ's.

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 am 

Cool Deal, thanks for the info. Yep, I've been using craigslist as my main source. There are a ton out there, and I've literally seen 50% of them. Thanks for the info on the rear mains leaking. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I'm looking at them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:59 pm 

Hey Folks, I broke down and bought a Cherokee today. I realized that my 6500 pound expedition was not gonna stand up to how crazy I drive off road with a stock suspension. We ended up getting a 1990 Cherokee Laredo. Has a ton of miles, but mechanically is as sound as you can expect for a 20 year old vehicle. It has a 3" lift with 31" tires, so I hope it can handle most of the stuff we will end up doing out there.

I wanted to say a HUGE thanks to those of you that helped me out when my torsion bar snapped loose on the Expedition up at the Lucy Grey Mines. Also a huge thanks for letting me borrow a CB. The next time we come out (just a few weeks), we should be better prepared (tow strap is incoming from ebay now and we just picked up a hand held CB) and hopefully wont get stuck again lol!

If I knew how to post pics of the cherokee I bought I would (my wife is much better with computers than I am). Maybe I will get the boss, err... wife to help me do that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm 

very Nice this must be the one that was down he street from you? glad you have something lagit that can wheel with the rest of the group! I was a little vervous about the expidition... but you seamed to make it real good! Exect for one little mishap! :wink:

And who say's a grand can't wheel? Wheel fix that soon enough! :D

GEEZE My spelling sucks tonite! :?

RIP: 2004 LJ, 8"Crawler w/Coilovers,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm 

Jon,

Just so you know, there is a 4 wheel parts store over on decatur. I picked up some stuff from them. Straps, lights etc.. and the prices werent too awful bad. I bet they would have alot for that Cherokee.

4740 S. Decatur Blvd Ste A
Las Vegas NV 89103

Brian

RIP:
1999 Jeep WJ
2" Budget Boost
Daily Driver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:21 pm 

Sorry for your mishap at Lucy Grey Mine. Glad you got a Cherokee. I know you'll have fun in it. Can't wait to see it!

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 am 

Jon, you'll find that there are a ton of upgrades available for your XJ (when you're ready to start), but I've found that fully armoring the belly will make it about 2x more offroadable with a 3" lift. You gain a lot of confidence when you know that you aren't going to rip anything off from underneath.

BackCountry Performance (near Spring Mountain & Polaris) did a lot of work on our XJ, and Jake and Jay are great guys to do business with!

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:33 am 

Best way to shop at the local 4 Wheel Parts is to get a price quote online and then go to the store with a copy of it so they will price match it. The online store has sales all the time and is usually cheaper than what they first quote you in-store. You can also usually order online and have it shipped to the store for free.

The Ted Weins on LVBLVD & Oakey is a 4x4 specialty shop too.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4