Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:22 am 

Bought it two years ago for $3,850, and put about $1,000 into it. Discovered that Nevada WILL NOT register it without a VIN or Title. It's currently registered with my folks in Maine, which will register such trailers, sight-unseen. Tows great, and I love the little guy, but since I can't register it where I live, I've decided to move on to another project.

Perhaps someone in the Backroaders knows someone who could register it where they live? They would have to come get it, though. If anyone's interested, email me at dawn.nelson@csn.edu, and I'll send pictures.

- interior "elephant-skin" insulation has a 1 year old coat of paint
- underside of trailer was coated with protective insulating foam 1 year ago
- tongue and underside were coated with rust-conversion paint 1 year ago
- trailer was coated with five coats of NewGlass2 1 year ago, needs a new coat now - I still have plenty of NewGlass2
- New roof vent, propane hose, and propane tank holder on tongue were installed (you guessed it) 1 year ago
- the door locks just fine
- cushions are in great condition - I doubt they are the original ones
- carpet is in great condition - I doubt it's the original carpet
- no electricity (lights were broken and wires were frayed, so I just took them all out)
- I have the post to convert the bed into a table, but the screws to hold it to the wall were all rusted (it was from Georgia originally)
- no water tank, but there's an opening for attaching to a water supply
- the louvered window on one side is missing - a piece of plexiglass is currently caulked into it
- no door to the "closet" or to the space under the propane stove
- no VIN (it would have been on the tongue, but it has long since worn away)
- no Title

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm 

Just curious, did you try getting them to create a VIN for it? I've had a few home built "custom" trailers and all it took was an inspection to make sure it was sound and had the proper running lights and such and they gave me a VIN and title. Seems a waste.

Also, if you haven't tried: try contacting Carson City direct through the website email. Seems to me, they would have some sort of routine that could correct this. Trust me, many of the DMV techs down here have no clue when it comes to anything harder than a basic registration. I can't count the number of times we have had issues with Carson saying the right way and them down here saying Carson (their boss's) were wrong.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:46 pm 

Hmm! Well, you may be right. I wouldn't be surprised.

The first person I talked to at the DMV spent about a half hour carefully scrubbing paint off the area where the VIN was supposed to be, trying to find any remnant of the VIN. I asked him, "Isn't there some way to obtain a new VIN/" He said no. I asked, "Well, what about getting VINs for homemade trailers?" He said, "This isn't a homemade trailer." End of discussion.

I tried again, emailing the DMV website. I explained the whole situation in detail, and just got back a generalized letter, saying that the DMV would have to find a VIN already on the trailer.

Before this, I didn't even know trailers HAD VINs!

If I can sell the trailer, I'd still rather do that. I'm feeling very, very poor at the moment (like, $21,000 poorer - well, ok, the bank is $21,000 poorer), and the neew jeep doesn't have a trailer hitch. Plus, I have no good place to store the little fellow. Tom Erichsen has been nice enough to keep it at his place, but it's not ideal.

Sooooo.....I thought I;d just go ahead and see if someone wants to take it off my hands. It really is a treat! I did get to camp in it once, and that alone was worth the price I paid. It was a cold, windy night, and everyone else was in tents. I was in my nice, warm, non-windy, REAL bed, and could gently push aside the curtain to see the stars. In the morning, I could stand upright (the trailer has a low ceiling, but I'm short), and stretch. I turned on the propane stove, and within seconds, the trailer was warm. I made espresso. I went out of the trailer, to see my tented companions bleary-eyed. One person's tent had broken in the wind. She was growling. Literally. I made everyone espresso before they lynched me. Ah, memories!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 am 

Hi Dawn, there are quite a few listed on ebay, some with vins and some not. I'd ask one of the sellers where the vin is located in case it's in an odd spot or the plate is missing. They're a neat trailer, I see them on the highway now and then.

Rescue Ranger
NBCC
NVMC
NBROC founding member
NBSC
NBZORT Unit # 1
702-595-6213

https://apathetic-wealth-3217.glideapp.io/

http://www.expeditionportal.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:07 pm 

I agree. I'd love to have one if it had a bathroom. I think my days of tent camping are starting to come to a close.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4