Post subject: Sloan Canyon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:38 pm 

Some of you might know about this, but for anyone that doesn't:

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Bureau of Land Management
[NV-057-5865-NU]
Shooting, Off-Highway Vehicle and Camping Closure in Sloan Canyon National
Conservation Area, Las Vegas Field Office
AGENCY: Bureau of Land Management, Department of the Interior, Las Vegas Field Office,
Nevada.
ACTION: Establishment of an Emergency Closure to Shooting, Off-Highway Vehicles, and
Camping within the boundaries of Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area.
SUMMARY: Notice is hereby given that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) administered
public lands of Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area (Sloan Canyon NCA) have been
temporarily closed to shooting of firearms, Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV) and camping under
this Emergency Closure Notice. This closure is being implemented to ensure public safety and
health, protect property adjacent to selected public lands and to prevent environmental
degradation. In addition, this action is being taken to reduce the amount of dust and particulate
matter generated from the use of public lands. National Conservation Areas are designated by
Congress to conserve, protect, enhance and manage public land areas for the benefit and
enjoyment of present and future generations. Sloan Canyon was designated as a National
Conservation Area in 2002. The rapid increase in population and growth within Clark County,
Nevada has created conflicts between new residential areas and traditional public land users.
Chronic abuse of Sloan Canyon NCA include unregulated and indiscriminate firearms use,
uncontrolled off-road vehicle use, parties with illegal bonfires, stolen vehicles and property
being burned or dumped (wire burning), yard and household waste accumulation from illegal
dumping, illegal camping or occupancy, illegal trail building are all contributing to the
degradation of Sloan Canyon NCA. Until the BLM completes the Supplementary Rules for
Sloan Canyon NCA the Emergency Closure is necessary to protect the public and the natural
resources that the area has to offer. BLM will post closure signs at main entry points to this area.
You may obtain maps of the closure area and information from the Las Vegas Field Office.
DATES: This closure will be in effect from November 3, 2006 until the Las Vegas Field Office
completes the Supplementary Rules for Sloan Canyon NCA which will establish permanent rules
for the public use of the property.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Chief Ranger Erika Schumacher 702-515-
5030; Las Vegas Field Office, Bureau of Land Management, 4701 N. Torrey Pines Dr, Las
Vegas, NV 89130, (702) 515-5000
DISCUSSION OF THE RULES: The closure order is issued under the authority of 43 CFR
Part 8364.1. Violation of any of the terms, conditions or restrictions contained within this
closure order, may subject the violator to citation or arrest, with a penalty of fine or
imprisonment or both as specified by law.
PENALTIES: Violation of any regulations in this part by a member of the public is punishable
by a fine not to exceed $1000 and/or imprisonment not to exceed 12 months.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:
The BLM is establishing this Emergency Closure under the authority of 43 CFR 8364.1 which
allows BLM State Directors to establish closures for the protection of persons, property, and
public lands and resources. This provision allows the BLM to issue closures of less than
national effect without codifying the rules in the Code of Federal Regulations.
Closure Area
Public Lands affected are within the following described area: T22S, R62E, Section 34-36;
T23S, R62E, Section 1-5, 8-17, 19-36; T23S, R63E, Section 6,7,18; T23S, R61E, Section 25-28,
33-36; T24S, R61E, Section 1-4, 9-15, 22-25, 36; T24S, R62E, Section 1-21, 28-33.
Maps Depicting the area affected by this closure order are available for public inspection at the
Las Vegas Field Office, Bureau of Land Management, 4701 N. Torrey Pines Drive, Las Vegas,
Nevada.
Exceptions to Closure
1. Any Federal, State, or local officer or employee in the scope of
their duties.
2. Members of any organized rescue or fire-fighting force in performance of an official
duty.
3. Any person authorized in writing by the Bureau of Land Management.
4. Off-Highway Vehicle use on posted/signed, designated routes only.
5. Hunting with valid state hunting license and in accordance with the laws and
regulations of the State of Nevada.
6. Camping in authorized areas as identified in the Resource Management Plan for
Sloan Canyon NCA.
Closure Restrictions
Unless otherwise authorized, within the closure area no person shall:
a) Discharge any firearm.
b) Possess any firearm in violation of Federal, State or County regulations.
c) Operate an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) or motor vehicle off of a posted designated
roads and/or trails.
d) Take, drive, or operate any OHV or motor vehicle through, around or beyond a
restrictive sign, barricade, fence, or traffic control barrier or device.
e) Camp or engage in camping.
f) Park, stop or leave personal property, whether attended or unattended.
g) Park any vehicle in violation of posted restrictions, or in such a manner as to obstruct
or impede normal or emergency traffic movement, create a safety hazard, or endanger
any person, property, or natural feature. Vehicles so parked are subject to citation
and impoundment at the owner’s expense.
Definitions:
Firearm: Any weapon capable of firing a projectile including but not limited to rifle,
shotgun, handgun, BB-gun, pellet gun, etc.
Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV): means any motorized or non-motorized mechanized
vehicle designed for or capable of travel off maintained roadways including but not limited to 2
and 4 wheel drive vehicles, motorcycles, ATV’s, and mountain bikes.
“Campâ€￾ or Camping means the erection of a tent or shelter, preparing a sleeping bag or
other bedding material for use, or the parking of a vehicle, motor home, or trailer for the
apparent purpose of sleeping or overnight occupancy.
Personal Property includes but is not limited to bicycles, vehicles (whether propelled by
living or non-living power sources), motor vehicles, trailers, tents, campers, pets, and livestock.
“Public Landsâ€￾ means any lands or interest in lands owned by the United States and
administered by the Secretary of the Interior through the Bureau of Land Management, except
lands on the Outer Continental Shelf and lands held for the benefit of Indians, Aleuts or Eskimos
(43 CFR 1601.0-5(I).
“Designated Roadâ€￾ means a road or roads identified on a map which will be available for
public inspection at the Las Vegas Field Office, Bureau of Land Management. These roads will
be posted as a designated route.
“Designated Trailsâ€￾ means a trail, trails or routes, identified on a map available for public
inspection at the Las Vegas Field Office, bureau of Land Management. These trails will be
posted as a designated trail.
Dated:
Juan Palma
Field Manager
Las Vegas field Office

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:14 am 

Sloan Canyon is an EXCELLENT example of why the government closes 'play' areas.
For the past several years I have personally been involved in BLM sponsered monthly clean-ups at Sloan. As the need for this closure became evident, the clean-ups became more scarce, and the conditions of tha area declined significantly. It had pretty much been reduced to a garbage dump/shooting range. Glass, clay pigeons, landscape cuttings, glass, cars, boats, appliances, and did I mention glass? Unfired and spent ammunition, even a small home made PVC pipe bomb/giant firecracker. We knocked down and removed two complete paint ball courses. An area had to be "re-naturalized" after someone actually brought in some equipment to build berms and jumps for a motocross course. At one time an area group showed quite an interest in helping to maintain the area, but after a couple high profile days of clean-up they lost interest. The clean-ups were primarily foot work, not just hooking and dragging large items to a central location.
It's a real shame too, there are petroglyphs there, or, there WERE. I don't know if they've survived. A nice club run sort of ride out around the back side brings you from Horizon Ridge in Henderson to the Seven Hills area out by South Eastern. Some fum little trails back in there. Anyways, guess I'm vented...support for Sloan Canyon is a sore spot with me.

Don't blame the government for this one folks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:53 pm 

I agree whole heartedly after seeing what was going on out there first hand. It's not like most folks were trying to keep it decent and the BLM closed it anyway, like Arrow Canyon.

After spending a couple of days helping day shift work out on West Lake Mead past Frenchman, I've lost even a bit more hope for humans. It seems that's the new hot spot for dumping dead farm animals. As if the refrigerators, couches, and yard waste wasn't bad enough :evil:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:21 am 

I used to periodically enjoy mini-romps in the area just north of Lake Mead Blvd east of Frenchman/Sunrise (I live near Hollywood and Washington). Now that whole area is clearly marked "no off road vehicles".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:54 am 

PinzEOD wrote:
I used to periodically enjoy mini-romps in the area just north of Lake Mead Blvd east of Frenchman/Sunrise (I live near Hollywood and Washington). Now that whole area is clearly marked "no off road vehicles".

At least kodachrome is still open to us. It is close to vegas and fun.

It just sucks when people do not care about the areas. It only takes a couple of fools to mess it up for everyone.

NVTTORA President/Webmaster
www.nvttora.com

Post subject: Exceptions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:01 pm 

You will note that under the heading "Exceptions to Closure", number 4 states that OHV may travel on designated trails.

That's the only place I run anyway. I agree that the place was a dump and something has to be done.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

Post subject: Re: Exceptions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 am 

GeoJeep Tom wrote:
You will note that under the heading "Exceptions to Closure", number 4 states that OHV may travel on designated trails.

That's the only place I run anyway. I agree that the place was a dump and something has to be done.

Yeah, but at the top it says it's an emergency closure to everything including OHV's. So it does read that you can't but you can :roll: But that's just the Feds at work. Likely they have put up closure signs or barricades at the beginning, which makes all the exceptions except for government access null and void. Just like them saying you can hunt there, but you can't shoot a firearm.

Either way, I'd stay away till they officially re-open it. Especially since they can (and will) tow your vehicle for leaving it, even if you are off hiking.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:23 am 

Does anyone know or have a list of all the closed trails around the Vegas area? I've heard of a few unsuspecting people getting tickets for unauthorized off road driving. I'm sure most of the trails are well signed (yeah right) but those signs tend to disappear. It would be good to post this info for the uniformed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:31 pm 

The 4 wheel drive comunity as a whole, was taken advantage of..... We hauled so much stuff out of Sloan Canyon. We went to every meeting at the BLM to help make a plan... We are Denied! Call me if you would like more info. # 496-3866 I have way too much to say on this matter.

I'll get off my soap box now.

:( Mountain top to mountain top around this valley is closed to organized off road use. Due to partcals of DUST. Organized means " more than (2) rigs" This includes SR-2477 roads that the BLM has jurisdiction over. Apex is the only area in Clark County you can do what you want, as a group. Again, I could go on and on, I wont... you can call me for more info.

Robert W. from the BLM will be at our next VV4W meeting if you would like to talk to the man in charge.