Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Everyone,

Regarding the Gold Butte NCA/wilderness legislation, we, (PIC—Partners In Conservation and PLCC—Public Lands Conservation Committee) have been waiting for the moment when we will have the most impact. THAT MOMENT IS NOW!!!!

If you care about the future of Gold Butte, please voice your opinion now!

This email has three attachments, all in 97-2003 Word: (email me if you can’t open them).

The ‘Short and Sweet Version’ is just what it says—if you don’t want to know all the background, if you just want to cut to the chase, read that attachment. It will take you less than 15 minutes total, to read and make the 2 or 3 ‘highest priority’ phone calls.

The ‘Details and Additional Information’ attachment is longer, but briefly describes the reasons why now is so important, details additional information that you may want to include in your phone calls, and lists several other options so that you can add a personal note to the main message.

The ‘Contact info for 2010’ attachment is a full listing of each politician’s address, email, phone number for both local and national offices and also includes contact info for Joe Heck and Sharron Angle. This is in case you want to contact their offices via letter or email and if you want to contact all our federal representatives.

We need 500 people to flood their offices with phone calls (or emails or letters) between now and September 9th. Those in favor of a Gold Butte NCA and wilderness have sent in well over 300 comments in the past few weeks. All of the representatives return to Washington D.C. on the 7th-9th. We want our phone calls to flood their offices so that their staff ‘forgets’ about what happened the last few weeks and focuses on reporting OUR comments.

PLEASE COMMIT TO AT LEAST READING THE ‘SHORT AND SWEET VERSION’, FOLLOWING THOSE SUGGESTIONS, AND THEN GET 4 OTHER PEOPLE TO DO THE SAME. We all live with, are related to, KNOW at least 4 people, please do this and get 4 others to do the same—and, so we can keep track of the numbers, send me a quick email letting me know how many in your ‘circle’ made comments.

We are asking each of the groups being contacted to commit to half their membership making comments and then each member getting 4 others to also make comments. It is critical that we get at least as many comments submitted as the other side has done—it all comes down to numbers and it is time we are all counted.

We can make a difference; please at least read and do the short & sweet version. It will take less than 15 minutes total of your time!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance or provide any additional info to you, thanks, Elise

Elise McAllister

Administrator

Partners In Conservation

PO Box 298

Moapa, NV 89025

picorg@mvdsl.com

702-864-2464 (voice mail)

702-864-2579 (home, office)

702-864-2253 (fax)

702-219-2033 (cell)

partners-in-conservation.com

--
Tammy O'Bremski
2010 Vegas Valley Four Wheelers President
http://www.youtube.com/user/TINKED9

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

THE SHORT AND SWEET VERSION

We have been told by trusted sources that now is ‘put up or shut up time’; that the other side has sent in comments and if we do not match their numbers, we will not be listened to. We have also been told that:
• Phone calls are the best, then letters, then emails
• We must be respectful; being dis-respectful gives them a reason to discard our comments
• We must be united and all say the same message (see below)
• A personal comment w/ the unified message would have significant impact because that demonstrates that we are united in our message, but that our phone calls, comments are personal, coming from individuals and NOT a mass mailing
• More than one member of your family can make comments

We believe that now is not the time to rant and rave about ‘no wilderness’, ‘no NCA’, etc. That message is falling on deaf ears and they hide behind the Clark County Commissioner’s Resolution of Support.

It is imperative that we all speak with one voice on this point, so please include this statement or something very similar in your phone call, letter, or email:

“I respectfully request that Congresswoman Titus (or Senator Reid, etc.) replies to me (you will need to give your mailing address) and lets me know if SHE WILL SUPPORT A FAIR, OPEN, AND TRANSPARENT PROCESS OF PUBLIC MEETINGS AND WORKSHOPS FOR GOLD BUTTE THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THE MEETINGS HELD FOR THE LINCOLN COUNTY PUBLIC LANDS BILL OF 2005 WHEREIN EVERYONE MET AND WORKED THROUGH THE SPECIFIC ISSUES TOGETHER. GOLD BUTTE IS TOO CONTROVERSIAL, TOO IMPORTANT, AND TOO BIG OF AN AREA TO NOT HAVE A SERIES OF PUBLIC MEETINGS TO DISCUSS SPECIFIC ISSUES. The Clark County and Lincoln County Public Land Bills set a precedence for future public land legislation; I request a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer as to whether Congresswoman Titus will support a fair, open, and transparent series of public meetings regarding the 330,000 acres of the Gold Butte area and I respectfully request her ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer in writing.” I also request that my name and address be added to any meeting notification list.”

Please be polite, but firm and insist on a simple yes or no response in writing. If you also want to make a personal comment, please see the longer version for some ideas (if you need them) or contact me. My contact info is on the email and the longer document. Please call at least Senator Reid and Congresswoman Titus at these numbers:

Congresswoman Titus: Phone: (202) 225-3252
Senator Reid: Phone: 202-224-3542 (or Toll Free for Nevadans): 1-866-SEN-REID (736-7343)
If you have time, Senator Ensign: Phone: (202) 224-6244

Now, please pass this on to 4 other people and ask them to spend less than 15 minutes voicing their opinion and requesting public meetings. Thank you so much for your efforts; if you can also email me back as to how many made comments, that would be so helpful. Together, we are hopeful that we can slow this fast-track process down enough to have reasonable public discussions about this issue. THANKS! Elise

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Good Friends,
Regarding the Gold Butte NCA/wilderness legislation, we, (PIC—Partners In Conservation and PLCC—Public Lands Conservation Committee) have been waiting for the moment when we will have the most impact. THAT MOMENT IS NOW!!!!

We have several trusted sources telling us that in the last few weeks, the folks that want Gold Butte to be an NCA w/ over 220,000 acres of new wilderness have flooded our representative’s offices with over 300 postcards and messages.

We have also been told that if we cannot ‘meet’ that number, that we will not be listened too; the only chance we have of stopping or slowing down the legislation to make Gold Butte an NCA w/ 220,000 acres of new wilderness is to flood the same offices with at least 300 phone calls/letters/emails.

WE NEED 500 CITIZENS TO SEND THEIR COMMENTS NOW!!!!

We have also been told the following items:
• Phone calls are the best, then letters, then emails
• We must be respectful; being dis-respectful gives them a reason to discard our comments
• We must be united and all say the same message (see below)
• A personal comment w/ the unified message would have significant impact because that demonstrates that we are united in our message, but that our phone calls, comments are personal, coming from individuals and NOT a mass mailing
• More than one member of your family can make comments

Please, it is imperative to take a few moments and act now; we know you all are busy with your family, work, hectic lives---so we didn’t want to ask you to call or write until doing so would have the most impact---THAT TIME IS NOW!!!! In the next 7-10 days, our representatives MUST hear from us or they plan to proceed with Gold Butte legislation in Sept. It is important to know that they may still proceed---but certainly, if they don’t hear strong, loud opposition---they will move forward. Reading this email, making the phone calls and/or sending letters (use cut and paste to save time) will take less than an hour—please donate an hour of your time!

Contacting Congresswoman Titus, Senator Reid, and Senator Ensign are the most important---contact sheet attached. Congresswoman Berkley and Congressman Heller may say ‘you are not from my district’ and may not take your call. REMIND THEM THAT THIS IS A PUBLIC LAND ISSUE THAT THEY WILL BE VOTING ON AND IT AFFECTS EVERY NEVADAN. Please also take the time to contact Joe Heck and Sharron Angle; if they hear from enough of us, they may make this an election issue—that may help the fight; at least they need to know what we care about if they do get elected. (all contact info is on the attached sheet).

And before I go any further, please, please contact your representatives with what YOU believe, what YOU want! Most people on our contact list feel that Gold Butte does not need additional restrictions, management layers, etc.—but, by all means, if you feel differently—please take the time to voice YOUR opinion! It is hard to understand why anyone would not want public meetings for the whole body of the public to be informed and involved, but if you feel differently, by all means use this contact information to voice your opinion. If you are in agreement with the ‘We need public meetings’ and/or the ‘NO to Gold Butte NCA/wilderness side’ please consider the following---

THE UNIFIED MESSAGE:

It is imperative that we all speak with one voice on this point, so please include this statement or something very similar in your phone call, letter, or email:

“I respectfully request that Congresswoman Titus (or Senator Reid, etc.) replies to me (you will need to give your mailing address) and lets me know if SHE WILL SUPPORT A FAIR, OPEN, AND TRANSPARENT PROCESS OF PUBLIC MEETINGS AND WORKSHOPS FOR GOLD BUTTE THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THE MEETINGS HELD FOR THE LINCOLN COUNTY PUBLIC LANDS BILL OF 2005 WHEREIN EVERYONE MET AND WORKED THROUGH THE SPECIFIC ISSUES TOGETHER. GOLD BUTTE IS TOO CONTROVERSIAL, TOO IMPORTANT, TOO BIG OF AN AREA TO NOT HAVE A SERIES OF PUBLIC MEETINGS TO DISCUSS SPECIFIC ISSUES. I respectfully expect a reply to this request and if Congresswoman Titus will support a fair, open, and transparent series of public meetings, whom may I contact to get on a notification list?”

In addition, you may want to include any of the following statements:

The Lincoln County Public Lands Bill of 2005 involved field trips to various proposed wilderness areas to discuss on-the-ground issues like parking areas with room to turn around, larger buffer zones on cherry-stemmed roads, etc. Gold Butte needs that same consideration, attention, and public input before any legislation is started.

The Lincoln County Public Lands Bill of 2005 held meetings wherein one meeting would be devoted to just one wilderness area or to just one issue and citizens could make specific comments about such; this is the kind of detail a public lands bill should contain.

For the Clark County Public Lands Bill of 2002, Senator Reid’s staff arranged public meetings where 3 different proposals were presented and discussed. This bill and the Lincoln County bill set the precedent for a series of open, fair, transparent public meetings for all public land bills; we expect the same for the Gold Butte legislation.

Some ideas for personal comments:
(we have learned that discussing what is important to us in terms of values is language that is understood and NCAs are supposed to be managed to protect important values.)

Value of visiting our historical and cultural sites: Our shared history of ranching, mining, and farming as the dominant economic forces in the late 1800s and early 1900s is scattered across the Gold Butte landscape; as important as it is for native Americans to visit their cultural sites where their ancestors camped, lived, and hunted, so to is it important for us to visit where our ancestors worked, lived, and spent their lives. (Noting a favorite site would be a great personal statement.)

Value of gathering together: As groups or organizations of people that like to do the same recreational activities (be it star gazing or riding ATVs) and as large rural groups of people who gather together for church or family celebrations, the ability to enjoy our public land does not end with small groups of 10 or 12. Most NCAs and wilderness areas are managed for groups of less than 12; this eliminates our value of gathering together on our public lands in larger groups. (Noting occasions where you have been in Gold Butte with a group bigger than 12 would be a great statement to make.)

Value of enhancing and improving habitat: Historically, the few water sources in the area were enhanced and diligently maintained by our ancestors; water for wildlife and native habitat also provided water for ranching, farming, mining, and living. Ensuring that those water sources provided continual water for all was of great importance historically, as it is today. Improving wildlife and habitat, enhancing what exists in nature for the betterment of wildlife, plants, and therefore people, is an incredibly important value that needs to be protected and allowed to continue. (a note about quail hunting near a water tank or of viewing rabbits as they come in to drink—a personal example would be a great statement to support this value.)

I appreciate your time and desire to be involved; please take a few minutes to request public meetings and to make a personal statement or two.

If you need any more information, if you want research or data about anything relevant to this issue, if you want more background information about the Lincoln County Public Lands Bill, if you want more examples of values or desire to make more pointed comments about wilderness or no wilderness, about the regulations and restrictions that previous NCAs have produced, please let me know. Contact me by phone or email, any time—day or night; this is the most important thing for me to be working on for the next 2 weeks, so I will get right back to you with whatever you need. Do not hesitate to ask, I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

If you have information or comments you want passed on to others, let me know and I will do so.

Finally, please feel free to share this with as many others as you can; if it is possible, it would be great to centrally collect an idea of how many people made comments. If you are comfortable sharing that with me, I would love to keep a running total of the number of comments made. If all of our comments are ignored, it would be great to say in letters to the editor and to anyone who will listen ‘that over 400 people asked for open, transparent public meetings and our request was ignored’. So, please, if you don’t mind, let me know if you sent comments and to whom.

Any great ideas for how to be effective and work together are always welcome as are all you have to say—sorry this is so long; please pluck from this what will work for you and use it. Thanks so much,

Elise McAllister
5th generation native Nevadan
PIC administrator
PLCC secretary
For those who don’t know me well---I camp, fish, hunt, hike, ride ATVs, 4-wheel, OHV, enjoy scenic drives, spend as much time as I can outside—hopefully I can get a little dove hunting in this evening.

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR REPRESENTATIVES AND/OR OPPONENTS

Congresswoman Dina Titus
https://forms.house.gov/titus/contact-form.shtml
Las Vegas Office:
8215 S. Eastern Avenue, Suite 205
Las Vegas, NV 89123
Phone: (702) 387-4941
Washington D.C. Office:
319 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3252
Fax: (202) 225-2185

Senator Reid
http://reid.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm
Las Vegas Office:
333 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Suite 8016
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: 702-388-5020
Washington DC Office:
522 Hart Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-3542
Fax: 202-224-7327
Toll Free for Nevadans:
1-866-SEN-REID (736-7343)

Senator Ensign
http://ensign.senate.gov/public/index.c ... ontactForm
Las Vegas Office:
333 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Suite 8203
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
Phone: (702) 388-6605
Washington D.C. Office:
119 Russell Senate Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: (202) 224-6244
Fax: (202) 228-2193
TTY: (202) 228-3364

Congressman Dean Heller
https://heller.house.gov/Contact/
Las Vegas Office:
600 Las Vegas Blvd., Suite 680
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: 702-255-1651
Washington D.C. Office:
125 Cannon HOB
Washington D.C. 20515
Phone: 202-225-6155

Congresswoman Shelley Berkley
http://berkley.house.gov/contact/email-me.shtml
Las Vegas Office:
2340 Paseo Del Prado, Suite D-106
Las Vegas, NV 89102
Phone: (702) 220-9823
Washington D.C. Office:
405 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-5965
Fax: (202) 225-3119

Joe Heck
http://heck4nevada.com/contact
Las Vegas Office:
6675 S. Tenaya Way, #140
Las Vegas, NV 89113
PO Box 750114
Las Vegas, NV 89136-0114
Phone: 702-614-5900

Sharron Angle
http://sharronangle.com/contact
Reno Office:
1280 E. Plumb Lane, Suite C
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: (775) 787-6017
Fax: (775) 682-4470
Las Vegas Office:
7710 W. Sahara Avenue, Suite #127
Las Vegas, NV 89117
Phone: (702) 243-1976
Fax: (702) 924-1522

NVBROFC