Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 pm 

Just in case any of you are interested - I look forward to your feedback ;)

Latest entry from my personal LandUse/Access Rights Blog http://briancrichardson.blogspot.com/

I am concerned how some are defining rules on what language/words are allowed in LandUse/Access Rights postings & debate. Examples are "Land Grab" "Greenies" "Eco-t's" "Thrillcraft" "Wilderness vs wilderness."

I've been called a pawn of BRC while I do support BRC this wasn't intended as flattery & my hate mail has been enlightning. Another problematic issue is how we each define these terms, a good example is "Conservationist" of which I consider myself in the old classical sense. I see that the word & concept of Conservation is being taken over and redefined by groups like the CBD & Wildlands Project/Network that I consider extreme preservationists.

This picture is of a new wilderness sign that adjacent to the trailhead of a currently open & historic Rocky Gap aka Potato Ridge trail. Yes it does say National Landscape Conservation System. This photograph I took 17 February 2009.

Thank You for reading & here is The Generals latest post:

Sunday, March 22, 2009
RTA - Trojan Horse or Skunk at the Party

A rider sent me an email not too long ago about some new eco-group’s attack on OHV and the BlueRibbon Coalition. My first thought was…”heck, what else is new?” Over the years, I have seen virtually an endless parade of attacks by anti-access organizations on BRC’s credibility or on the pastime of OHV recreation. When you are flying the lead plane in the battle to champion responsible recreation use of public lands, you are the first to get flack.

As a consultant to BRC, I work hard on their behalf to strongly defend legitimate OHV access to public lands and promote a responsible land ethic. In my many engagements with anti-access groups, I have found a worn-out tactic often employed by them to give the impression that a new broad-based OHV coalition or group now speaks for multiple-use interests and BRC is simply an extreme organization that should not be listened to or supported.

For example, in the early days of the debate on the Boxer/Thompson Wilderness Bill, the wilderness advocates said they had the support of OHV clubs and a mountain bike group for the bill. When asked for the names of the OHV groups – they could not give any. Also, the “mountain-bike” group turned out to be the owner of a small bicycle shop in Lake County.

It appears that Responsible Trails America is one of the newest shadow groups that are pretenders on the national stage of OHV.

Full article with sources & plenty of links is on my blog & at the Generals Blog - http://thegeneralsrecreationden.blogspot.com/2009/03/rta-trojan-horse-or-skunk-at-party.html

Graduate of Del Albright's RLTC course
Just Good Trails - Trail Boss
Tread Lightly - Tread Trainer