Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Posted on VV4W by Robert Wandel with BLM.

BLM and Clark County are hosting public comment meetings on Nellis Dunes. Our goal is to have public comments on the proposed transfer of Nellis Dunes to Clark County and what recreation opportunities does the public want to participate in at Nellis Dunes.

Three meetings will be held from 6:00 -8:00 PM: Jan. 29 at North Las Vegas Library Community Room on 2300 Civic Center Drive; Jan. 30 at Clark County Government Center BCC Chambers on 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy.; and Jan. 31 at Henderson Convention Center Grand Ballroom B on 200S. Water Street.

Please come voice your opinion on Nellis Dunes. Thank you.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:56 am 

This I got from SNRTP

Here are some facts concerning the County takeover of the Nellis Dunes.

“Trail fees are modeled at $3 per trip (per rider day). It is assumed that Clark County will use a number of revenue recapture methods, including, without limitation annual “green stickerâ€￾ type fees. If Clark County were to use only green sticker fees similar to California, they would be anticipated to generate about $750,000 annually. It is likely, however, that these fees would support any number of off-road activities, not merely the Nellis Dunes project.â€￾ (Page 58 Market Analysis: Summary Report commissioned by Clark County, prepared by Applied Analysis)
This means that the off-road vehicle users at Nellis Dunes would be paying for additional county off-road activities and not be paying just for the use of the Nellis Dunes.

Gate fees are estimated to average $20 per trip (per rider day) and are applied to all motorcross tracks and ATV racing facilities. Gate fees at comparable facilities range from a low of $15 per day to a high of $40 per day depending on event timing, season, promotional activities, etc. Importantly, a $20 gate fee would be lower than average at the retail level. Most parks do not realize 100 percent of these fees, thus a discounting of this value is appropriate.
This means that, in addition to the $3 per trip fee to ride your off-road vehicle on the track, you will pay an additional fee to enter the facility. (Page 58, Market analysis)

According to the Market Analysis, pages 5 through 9: The following amenities will be built at the Nellis Dunes:
An integrated AVT trail System: Beginner Trails, Intermediate trails, advanced trails and SNRPC open space trails
Motocross (MX) Tracks: National outdoor track; national supercross track; beginner motocross (local track); intermediate motocross (world mini/Loretta Lynn); Motocross pit/staging area and Freestyle motocross area
4X4 areas: 1, 4-wheel drive trail and obstacle course. 2, 4-wheel drive rock climbing course
Other Active Uses: Intermediate ATV racing course; Advanced ATV racing course; ATV pit/staging area; Competition Skate Park; off-road training areas.
Supporting facilities: Parking; RV parking/camping areas; viewing areas; check-in pay-to play area; administration/hospitality center; concessions and restrooms; medical facilities; support facilities

According to Clark County’s power-point presentation: The southwest extent of the Nellis Dunes is within the non-attainment area for PM10 (dust). Due to the unrestricted use of the area under BLM management, currently very little is being done to minimize and mitigate the creation of dust from the area.
There are areas of sensitive soils which currently receive no special protections, and which, in some cases, are the habitat for the Las Vegas Bearpoppy, a species covered under the Clark County MSHCP, and designated by the State of Nevada as Critically Endangered. Desert dumping is another major concern in the Nellis Dunes.
If managed as a regional motorized recreation area by Clark County a variety of environmental protections could be implemented. OHV trails could be routed through non-sensitive soils to minimize dust and to provide protection to the Bearpoppy. Areas of heavy use could be treated to prevent the creation of dust. Dust control practices such as wetting the surfaces of motorized tracks could be implemented. Through management and restricted access, the problem of desert dumping would be minimized. (Page 2) On Page 3 it is pointed out that the area, although in the Nellis Air Force Base flight path, could be used for radio controlled aircraft and vehicles.

It must be pointed out that all of these plans were made without public comment by a few county employees and those who use the facility need to be satisfied that changes will be made to accommodate the wishes of those attending the hastily called public meetings.

Graduate of Del Albright's RLTC course
Just Good Trails - Trail Boss
Tread Lightly - Tread Trainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:39 am 

I would encourage everyone to attend one of these meetings.

I will be at the Henderson Meeting Jan 31st 6 Pm - 8 PM
Henderson Convention Center
200 S Water Street Ballroom B

that is our last chance to get our point of view input into the record
if your in Henderson Area and can come out Thursday night
We would appreciate the support.

Thanks!
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 am 

Southern Nevada Regional Trails Partnership
Minutes of Sept. 26, 2007

Attending: Ed Dodrill, Ellis Greene, Lola Egan, Robert Wandel, and Mike Albrecht

Discussion was held on the proposed Clark County takeover of the Nellis Dunes. It was pointed out that county employee Michael Popp was attending OHV group meetings and presenting a well produced slide show that failed to mention the whole plan which excludes “joy ridingâ€￾ the type of activity enjoyed by the greatest majority of those who recreate in the Nellis Dunes. The presentation doesn’t mention that fines will be levied to those who stray off the trails built in the area.

It was also mentioned that Clark County had motor-cross racing exempted from the Clark County Dust Attainment regulations to allow that activity on the Nellis Dunes once the takeover is completed. Mike pointed out that many off road enthusiasts are backing the program but only because they don’t know the entire plan. The SNRTP is still strongly opposed to the takeover because it will, eventually, turn the place into a moneymaking facility that doesn’t meet the need of the majority of off road enthusiasts in Clark County.

It was also pointed out that by adding the Nellis Dunes to the inventory of the Clark County Parks Department, the county will greatly increase their acreage of park land which is now well below national standards for an area of the size of Clark County and that is a big factor in the County’s effort to take over this facility. Clark County, it was reported has already started charging $3 a day fees for using skate parks and this was expected to spread throughout the county.

A representative from the BLM said that agency was opposed to the current plan for the takeover by the county and while the county agreed to joint public meetings on the proposal, Clark County has not cooperated in setting up these meetings. It was strongly recommended by Ed Dodrill that the motorized recreation clubs urge their members to read the entire plan and contact their members of Congress to oppose the takeover.

Please Attend one of the meetings and voice your concerns!

Thanks
Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:39 pm 

We are planning on attending the Henderson meeting on Thurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:56 pm 

John and Chris wrote:
We are planning on attending the Henderson meeting on Thurs.

John and Chris
THANKS!!!!

I would hope we can fill the room with as many as possible

This will be the last chance to be counted.

We saw 42 Rigs show up for a club run...
How about we double that number on Thursday night!

Thanks
Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

This Land Use issue between the County and BLM is important to all of us. It could change our love of off-roading in the county. Out of near 10,000 acres of land, only about 10 acres would be allotted to our off-road use. While I know that we generally don’t go to Nellis Dunes, this could have a bigger impact for all off-road enthusiasts. If the county did get this land, they might go after more land. The next most popular area is the Logandale Trail System. If the County were to get that, it would mean the end to popular events out there. No more Hump & Bump. No Jeep Jamboree (if they come back to town. I am in discussion with someone about this.). No more runs without paying entrance fees and usage fees.

As Trail Boss and Club Officer, I cannot tell you to go to the Thursday meeting. Your attendance would be greatly appreciated. This can affect all of us.

The next and Last Meeting is located at:

Henderson Convention Center

Grand Ballroom B

200 S. Water Street

Thursday 1/31/08
6PM. – 8 PM.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:40 pm 

I'd go tonight since I'm off, but I'm under the weather and don't wanna infect everyone.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:28 pm 

Buck & Wendy will be there!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 pm 

Thanks to All that attended.

We will be posting a copy of the response letter in PDF form.

I voted on the county web site....

http://www.co.clark.nv.us/Comprehensive ... sDunes.htm

I voted to "Do Not Support"

I think in the best interest of saving the land for Open OHV use
is to keep the land under the control of the BLM.

I will be sending in a hard copy for my own piece of mind.

Thanks!!!
mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm 

I Voted " DO Not Support " and Filled up the comment box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 pm 

I voted DO NOT support

Graduate of Del Albright's RLTC course
Just Good Trails - Trail Boss
Tread Lightly - Tread Trainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:06 am 

I voted "Do Not Support" and made comments. Especially after attending the meeting this evening.

Wendy

Post subject: Nellis Dunes Land Grab
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:22 am 

There being no box for, "What ARE you people smoking?", or, "Not only NO, but HELL NO!", I had to vote, DO NOT SUPPORT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:54 am 

Here is a sample of the voting page
Please fill in the comments section with your own wording

also...
use the print screen function on your computer before you submit the form
and then:

open paint program on your computer select paste in the "Edit" area
then do a save as .jpg

my concern is the county rep said he had thousands of emails asking
the county for support...of this idea.

at the meetings the rooms were full of people Against the idea.

so...................
where are the "mystery emails" coming from for support?

We have until Feb 15th to get everyone you know in Clark county to
vote NO!!!

Please tell everyone you know to Vote.
your neighbors / friends / co-workers / ect..
if you know someone who visits Clark County / Las Vegas
they can vote also...just make sure they fill in the comment box
that they visit Las Vegas and they do not want the county to have
this land.

thanks
mac