Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pony Express Trail Run
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:14 pm 

I don't know if anyone would be interested in making the drive north but here is a long term notification of a trailrun that we have done the last three years. Most people that participated would tell you it was an absolute blast but by far the best time is when it snowed. So here's how it works. The date below is tentative based on snow fall. We start looking at the forecast 10 days out, if by 4 days out no snow is in the forecast it gets postponed to the following weekend, and so on and so on. Patients is a must on this run for maximum enjoyment!

When: 10-11 February 07 (Saturday & Sunday) your choice whether it becomes an overnighter for you. We will, barring anything bad occurring, be off the trail on Saturday. Most folks stay overnight in Wendover.
Meeting Time: 8:00 AM
Meeting Place: Smith's grocery Store @ crossroads of Rt 68 & Rt 73 in Saratoga Springs, Utah.

Trail: Pony Express
Total trip distance from Start at Saratoga Springs to end Wendover Nevada is 207 miles (can take 5 to 11 hours)
Rating: Easy to difficult (depends on the weather)
Recommended equipment: Any tire other than street tires, if it snows...there will be mud.....lots of mud. No tire will really help you, but street tires will definitely cause you a night of sleeping on the trail. Also recommended would be mounted tow hooks (front & rear), CB, Fire Extinguisher. Chains would be highly recommended for Dugway Pass. It can get a bit dicey. Three day supply of cold weather gear, due to the remoteness of the trail. If it runs long, as it tends to do in snow, you will need extra gas. Please ensure that it is secured on the OUTSIDE of your vehicle. Winch is not mandatory but absolutely a huge plus. Two years ago all but two folks required a hook and some more than one simotaniously.

Special Notes: Expect snow (deep) If you are going make reservations don't expect that they will have vacancies on a moments notice.

PS: I'll BTT this post on occasion to keep it fresh in folks mind, but that's it. Be there or be square.

here's your motivation to attend;
Pictured club members Brooke in his Trooper with club member Adem in his Rodeo attempting to yank him out. Doesn't look complicated but it ended up taking two winches to get him out and when it was all said and done, all but two folks winded up getting winched on this section. It took us a few hours to get about a mile right here, which just happened to be the flattest part of the trail (graded road in summer time),

A Enterprise Rental Van full of 11 illegals on street tires at least 3 hours in good weather from anything remotely close to civlization. It took Brookes 12,500 lbs, my 8,000 winch, and a full size old school cherokee chief to anchor Brooke and I down so that we could yank them out. No doubt they would have become the modern day Donner party had we not showed up when we did.

This is your's truely in my old Passport, now my daughters. This is what happens when you help stranded motorists then go to turn around. Yep, you guessed it, out came the winch cable.

This is how quickly the conditions can change out there. The picture was taken the same day in the poligymist colony of Calleo.

Then within less than an hour we were back in really deep stuff in the almost abandoned town of Gold Hill.

So all that being said, this is why it's so important to have patients on the scheduling of this event and the fact that they dates can change as noted in the original message. Now the trail can be run without snow, but it will basically be a graded road 3/4 the way and paved the other portion. I'm OK with that but generally when we make the run in those conditions the more extreme guys are bored out of their minds. I myself have no problem checking out all the Pronghorn's, Mines, and wild Mustang's.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:30 pm 

I've wanted to do this run since I saw it on either the UOOC board or the goldrushexpeditions.com site, I forget which. Unfortunately I can't use any vacation time for the first 6 months at my new job :cry:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:59 pm 

That looks extremely fun!! :D I am going to keep my eyes on this one and try to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:22 pm 

We're up to 23 vehicles for this run so it should be a blast.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:19 am 

Rodeos! Troopers! Woohoo

I might come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:16 pm 

Actually as of right now it's mostly Jeeps participating. My club, the Isuzu guys are severe proscrastinators so I don't expect a commitment from them until the night before. My guess some will drop out and will get more committed and end up around 30 vehicles. This years going to be a blast.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:27 am 

It sure would be nice to meet up with some ZuZu'ers.

I see you on 4x4wire all the time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:39 am 

David wrote:
It sure would be nice to meet up with some ZuZu'ers.

I see you on 4x4wire all the time. :)

We don't frequent that site to often anymore. If Pirate is the extreme right then that site would be the extreme left. It got to the point of if you said anything even remotely close that resembled dissatisfaction with a vender you would be locked. We all pretty much just stay to our own club site http://www.zutah.com Hope to see you on the PE run. :wink:

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:22 pm 

Paddler wrote:
It got to the point of if you said anything even remotely close that resembled dissatisfaction with a vender you would be locked.

Sounds like the BinderBulletin.org site. It used to be sacrilege to say anything negative about sponsored vendors until half the supporting members threatened abandonment. Now you can post bad vibes, but they are still highly moderated. I quite hanging out there because of the hypocrisy of the admin and members. One guy would get chastised for saying one thing, yet someone in the "loop" would say the same thing and it was all pats on the back :roll:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:46 pm 

Amen to that. The best sites that I have found for you Nevada guys intersted in Utah would be our clubsite and this site http://www.utah4x4club.com/index.php?ac ... E=03&id=23

It has a lot of Southern Utah Boys/Gals on it that probably would be good to know folks who you all could swap trails back and forth with. It is also where most of the folks who are going on this trip are coming from.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:37 pm 

4 weeks and counting. We're up to 35 rigs now.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:52 am 

Last call

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22 pm 

So how'd it go? Any pictures?

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:30 am 

It went par for the course as any other club. Half those that swore they would be htere iddn't come and the snow wasn't in the forecast and nobody wanted to delay it a week (as usual). So there were the select few moaning about it not being challenging enough as usual, even after I explicitly spell it out for them ahead of time. For the regulars that always come very year we had fun and that's all that matters. Won enough in Wendover to pay for the entire trip and then some.

BTW, it snowed it's a$$ off the following week...............imagine that, just as it did last year but nobody ever listens.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:26 am 

I hear you. I might be able to make it next year, since I'll have vacation time and might be a bit closer to that area :wink:

I've been wanting to do things like the PE Trail across Nevada as well as the Lincoln Highway.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4