Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lava Butte & Kodachrome
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:50 pm 

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/1d160981

This is a GPS log from a trip I took this morning.

Lava Butte requires 4WD. There's only really one tricky part, a stock Cherokee could make it with no problems as long as it has traction control. Lots of cool arroyos. We saw a few hares before even getting into the mountains. Stopped for a while to check out the active volcano (yeah, there's an active volcano on the edge of the valley) and look at the rocks.

The return trip was on Kodachrome Rd. If you're into geology this is an awesome drive. 2WD would be okay, but high ground clearance such as a Rav4 or CRV would be recommended. As far as wildlife goes, we saw a bunch of small birds that looked like they were a crossbreed between finches and roadrunners. They'd fly like butterflies, then run a bit, then fly again. Never seen them anywhere else in the area - there's a reason Lava Butte and Kodachrome are wildlife protection areas. Be respectful.

We did come up on the remains of a drunk jackass camp - they left logs burning, beer bottles around, shotgun shells around, and garbage about. I emptied my fire extinguisher, and we buried the rest with dirt before the wind came up today.