Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:47 pm 

The original post was removed due to a last minute issue with some bureaucracy hub bub and it looked as if the event was not going to happen this year. But, some folks stepped up/in and got it corrected so now the event is going to happen for sure.

Quote:
Celebrate Trails Day in Lincoln County June 5-6, 2010

Lincoln County is planning its 7th annual Trails Day
event on June 5 and 6, 2010. The Lincoln County
Trails Coalition, in cooperation with the Bureau of
Land Management, Nevada State Parks, and the
Lincoln County Commissioners have planned a
line-up of events to include a hike, guided ATV
rides, a four-wheel drive adventure, an equestrian
trail ride, and a 5K run. These events will take place
in the mountains surrounding the town of Caliente
in Lincoln County.

For more information, please call (877) 870-3003
or for complete descriptions of individual events,
please visit www.LincolnCountyNevada.com/TrailsDay.
The trail starts in Lincoln County!

So here's the scoop. On June 5th, I will be leading the 4x4 event from Caliente and we'll be traveling along parts of the Silver State Trail stopping at 3 very interesting mine sites. Along the way we'll go by the historic Wheeler Ranch and mill site, making our way from high desert terrain to Stampede Gap with an elevation of over 7000' feet. The entire route is very stock 4x friendly, offers great views, historical sites and the chance at seeing lots of wildlife. Clicky the picture to see the event as I led it 3 years ago: Image

The best part, all of the events are free to attend. The only cost is for the dinner afterward if you choose to attend, and for an event t-shirt if you choose to get one. Dinners and shirts are $12 each. During the dinner a raffle for donated items from supporting vendors will be held.

Logistics:

Caliente is about 150 miles from Las Vegas on US93. To get there, take I-15 north toward Utah, and take exit 64 (there is now a Love's Truck Stop there). You'll pass through Alamo and Ash Springs (91 and 98 miles from Vegas) stay on US93 when you go by the SR318 turn off (way to Ely, NV) and continue till you come to Caliente. Gas and food is available in every town along the way and while up there. Caliente has 5 restaurants and a grocery store, but be warned, they all close early.

Registration will take place before the event 7-9 AM, but you are asked to pre-register by May 25th especially if you are planning on attending the dinner. A small number of dinner tickets will be available Saturday morning but not guaranteed, as will be available shirt sizes. The majority of events will start at 9AM, the 4x4 event will last all day, so plan on bringing a lunch. Dinner will be at about 5PM, and we should be off the trail by 4PM at the latest, depending on vehicle turn out and time taken at the sites. Pre-registration forms should be on the Lincoln County site shortly, or simply PM or email me and I can send you one to print out.

Lodging:

Motels:
Caliente Hot Springs Motel 726-3777
Midway Motel 726-3199
Rainbow Canyon Motel 726-3291
Shady Motel 726-3106 http://www.shadymotel.net

RV Parks:
Agua Caliente RV Park 726-3399
Young's RV Park 726-3418

The closest State Park (about 3 miles away) is Kershaw-Ryan which now has new camp sites: http://parks.nv.gov/kr.htm
The next would be Cathedral Gorge, which about 20 miles away: http://parks.nv.gov/cg.htm
There are others available, but farther away.

The area around Caliente is mostly BLM managed, so primitive camping is virtually endless. In the past some attendees have stayed at the Chief Mtn. trail head, about 10 miles west of town. There are no amenities there though.

I'm awaiting word on if the rodeo grounds in town will be available for primitive camping/ RV/trailer use as well. I will follow up once I know.

And lastly, my cousin has a vacation home about 5 miles north of town that has room. I myself will be staying there, so anyone coming up and wanting to stay over is welcome. Beds will be a first come, first serve basis though. IIRC he has 2 doubles, 3 single bunks and a queen fold out couch. There is also plenty of floor space for air beds and sleeping bags if needed. Outside there's 5 acres of land and plenty of room for anyone wanting to park an RV or Trailer or even tent camp if you want to rough it :wink: The house is well furnished, but it is bring your own supplies (food, drink, etc). He even has a fire pit outside for making them s'mores things. I will be there probably by Thursday night or Friday AM at the latest. If you plan on attending and would like to stay with me, please let me know before hand so I can know when to expect you.

If you have any questions, post here or PM me and I'll get back to you.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 am 

I got confirmation that the rodeo grounds will be available for anyone wanting to RV or dry camp in town.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 am 

made reservations at Shady Motel in caliente' for friday and saturday.
have explored the area on my own and looking forward to having a tour guide this itme.
anyone want to caravan up friday, am open to meeting at truck stop on friday.
post up.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 am 

I was told to let anyone still unregistered know that they could still register for the dinner even though it will be past the dead line. Seems they have some flexibility on the issue, so any advance notice will still help them out.

If anyone is having issues with downloading a registration, PM me your email and I can send you a PDF version.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:52 am 

Gary can you send me a registration pdf? The link on their site does not work. Thinking I should be able to make this.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:48 am 

I need your email.

Actually, anyone can email me at gbodell at cox dot net and I'll send it out.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:56 am 

Gary, Paul and I won't make it this year :( . We spent 8 days up in that area, just got home. It was cold! Looks like better weather now.

We left ya a message at the Comet Mine (upper part) if you stop by there on your run :D Be safe and have a great time!

Jenny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:22 am 

Well I'm sure you'll be highly missed come raffle time :wink:

The weather should be high 80's at the elevation we will be at. Las Vegas is expected to reach 105 :(

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 am 

I'm outie. See you guys Saturday morning, unless you get up there early enough today and want to do an early evening run. I know quite a few quick trips, like a 300 feet overlook of Kershaw-Ryan. Tom has my cell #, just remember to dial 702 first.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:20 pm 

thanks gary for all the work that went into the pre-runs and logistics for this trip.
the side trips of the silver state trail had some of the best old mine sites i have seen in a while.
hope the areas stays "undiscovered" to preserve the history.
looking forward to future runs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:09 pm 

Thanks Gary for the great run. The mines were some of the best I have ever seen, and the scenery was really beautiful ! Great job. We will be sure to be there next year. Thanks again. :D Rex & Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:45 pm 

Glad you guys enjoyed it, and thanks for coming.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:45 pm 

What they said. I'll be back.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:04 am 

Thanks again Gary and all the other people that hosted this event. The Vegas Valley 4-Wheelers that were able to attend (and this year there were more attending than ever) had a great time. A few of us came up on Friday, enjoyed the cooler weather and made a weekend of it. Still others from out group got up early and made a day trip out of it. It's not that far out of Las Vegas but I think the 2-hour each way road trip scares a few people every year out of attending. If they only knew how nice and cool it was especially at night more would surely come. I was really expecting to see more people from the Backroaders on this run. It was the kind of run they are famous for and suitable for stock 4X4's. The VV4W group really appreciates that this event is free. Especially now days. Most of us are poor simple folk compared to the Nevada Backroaders.

Jeff Jorgensen - KF7DGX
2010 - 2011 Hump-N-Bump Chairman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm 

Sorry Gary I didn't get a chance to post back but couldn't make it due to a few things that came up and didn't have my boys for the weekend.

Hope everyone had fun.