Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:52 am 

June 2nd is National Trails Day, with special events taking place all over the country ranging from ATV runs, to hiking, and 4X4 adventures. This year will be the 4th year Lincoln County, NV will be hosting such events. The hosting site will be Caliente, NV, with many of the events starting from or nearby there. Caliente is about a 2 1/2 drive North from Las Vegas. Whether you want to hike, ride your horse, an ATV or drive your 4X, they have an event just for you.

I will be leading this year’s 4X run, which will start just outside Caliente which is located at just over 4000’ in elevation. It will run through Antelope Canyon wash, North across the West face of Chief Mtn. to a Trilobite Fossil site for exploration and lunch. From there we’ll continue heading North past the Pan American Mine and the Mountain Lion Mine, climbing to over 7000’ in elevation before dropping over Manhattan Gap. Then we will carry on to the Wheeler Ranch site, Wheeler Mill and the Black Prince Mine before finally seeing asphalt again. In total, the run will be about 50 miles of dirt, most being segments of the newly created Silver State Trail being created by the BLM. The trip should take less than 8 hours total, depending on vehicle count and time spent at the sites. It rates an easy 1.5 on a 5 scale, with the hardest part being two track roads early on before we tie into the SST, which are predominantly graded roads. This is meant to be a very enjoyable, picturesque run that can be handled with virtually any high clearance 4WD vehicle and limited off roading skill. Everything from high dessert fauna, wild flowers, and Ponderosa pines to deer and elk can be seen along this run. Bring the family, your camera, and a lunch and enjoy the cool temps of historical rural Nevada. Afterward, a Dutch oven dinner will be served at Rose Park in Caliente at 5PM.

Friday, June 1st will include an easy and short sunset 4X run from Caliente, through English Canyon and stopping at an incredible view of Kershaw-Ryan State Park from 300+ feet above the park. This run is free to anyone interested, and is being done for the early birds in attendance. Sunday is open for anyone staying over wanting to do/see more sites. I could either lead or direct others where to go if wanted.

More information can be found at the Lincoln County site: http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/trailsday.html It’s being constantly updated so be sure to check in often if interested in attending. Early registration forms can be sent by emailing them here: Info@LincolnCountyNevada.com

Registration varies for motorized or non-motorized, but for this run it will be $30 for individual, $40 for couples and $50 for families. Registration includes a t-shirt, Dutch oven dinner and door prize tickets.

Lodging info can also be found at the website above, but the main places to stay in Caliente are:

Lodging:
Shady Motel 726-3106
Caliente Hot Springs Motel 726-3777
Midway Motel 726-3199
Rainbow Canyon Motel 726-3291

RV Parks:
Agua Caliente RV Park 726-3399
Young's RV Park 726-3418

There are also 4 state parks that offer camping and RV spaces, as well as fishing and hiking activities. http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/parks.html

Rooms tend to go fast, and the parks are popular during the summer months, so be sure to plan ahead and reserve your spots/rooms.

Hope to see you there.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Last edited by GaryB on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:01 am 

Again, just a reminder for our little tribe. I can host a big slumber party at my cousin's vacation house outside Caliente for anyone interested in going. There's limited bed space, but plenty of floor space for air mattresses and sleeping bags. Between me and him, I think we have 5 air mattresses for use if needed. The house has everything you need, Joe and Al can attest :wink:

There's also room for 5 or so RV's or campers, more if we can get them in just right. Plus 5 acres if you want to go pitch a tent :P

I'll be up there Thursday night through at least Sunday night, so you could arrive and leave pretty much anytime. There's a big Dutch Oven dinner Saturday, but we could have a pot luck if anyone is interested Friday night.

If you plan to go, please let me know so I can reserve a spot for you, wherever it may be :wink:

Either post here, PM me or email me at gbodell@cox dot net.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 am 

GaryB wrote:
Again, just a reminder for our little tribe. I can host a big slumber party at my cousin's vacation house outside Caliente for anyone interested in going. There's limited bed space, but plenty of floor space for air mattresses and sleeping bags. Between me and him, I think we have 5 air mattresses for use if needed. The house has everything you need, Joe and Al can attest :wink:

There's also room for 5 or so RV's or campers, more if we can get them in just right. Plus 5 acres if you want to go pitch a tent :P

I'll be up there Thursday night through at least Sunday night, so you could arrive and leave pretty much anytime. There's a big Dutch Oven dinner Saturday, but we could have a pot luck if anyone is interested Friday night.

If you plan to go, please let me know so I can reserve a spot for you, wherever it may be :wink:

Either post here, PM me or email me at gbodell@cox dot net.

Hey Gary, I sent you an email.

I have a question. I haven't been able to find a registration form online. Do you happen to have the direct link to the registration forms? If not, how do I get registered because I'd really like to go. Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:40 am 

JeepinJoe02 wrote:
Hey Gary, I sent you an email.

I have a question. I haven't been able to find a registration form online. Do you happen to have the direct link to the registration forms? If not, how do I get registered because I'd really like to go. Thanks!!

They haven't got it up yet, but if you email them at the contact info in my post, they'll get one out to you. I'm also going up there for meetings and more trail runs, so I should be able to pick some up mid-April too.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:12 pm 

Sounds like a great time...Hope to meet some of you there.
Also the fishing at Otter Creek will be great this spring..
Check out my post.

Bobalui.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm 

GaryB wrote:
I'm also going up there for meetings and more trail runs, so I should be able to pick some up mid-April too.

Hey Gary, did you get up there for meetings yet? If so, did you get any registration forms? Just wondering. I didn't see anything on their website yet. If you didn't have the chance to pick any forms up, I'll just email them and try that way which is no problem.

There is so much going on as far as events, I'm having a hard time keeping track. Maybe this thread should be pinned so its always on top and in front of everyone's face every time they check the message board. Just a thought.

Post subject: Lincon County Days
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:04 am 

The Chamber of Comerce will send you the entry form in the mail. I used the link, sent them an Email with my physical address, they responded within an hour to let us know that entry form was on its way.

Thanks Joe...Looking forward to meeting you.

Bobalui

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:05 pm 

I wasn't able to get up there last night. My new $500 radiator decided it was going to spring a leak on me. So guess what I got to do today :roll:

I just checked and they updated the page with a link for the form. If you don't see it, try refreshing.

Or clicky the linky: http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/imag ... ration.pdf

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:21 pm 

BTW, anyone who decides to go after the deadline still can. It's just that you might not get a shirt or a dinner ticket. I believe they are planning for some late comers, but selection and availability might be limited at best.

Also, anyone wanting to go and shack up at my cousin's place, be it inside or out, please let me know, either on here or PM or email me. So far I know Jon and Chris mentioned a camp spot, and Joe wants a patch of carpet :wink:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:21 pm 

Thanks Gary!!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:47 am 

Gary - I'm still trying to schedule this in for Matt and I. I'll let you know as soon as I do. Pencil me in for a tentative patch of carpet. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:45 am 

I got some fliers by mail, so if anyone wants one, I'll have them next club run. Or you can PM or email me your snail mail addy and I mail one to you.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 pm 

Gary, we are very sorry, but going to have to back out on this run. Something has come up and we are not able to attend. Sounds like a very fun weekend and we will be missing out. Thanks for the offer to park there. Hope everyone takes lots of pictures and posts them.
John and Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:49 pm 

I finally got my registration form sent in for the run. It sure took me long enough. I hope I beat the deadline. I'm sure looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 pm 

JeepinJoe02 wrote:
I finally got my registration form sent in for the run. It sure took me long enough. I hope I beat the deadline. I'm sure looking forward to it.

It shouldn't be an issue. They planned this years dinner and events on last years turn out, so even folks registering the day of might be able to get a shirt and a meal.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4