Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:55 pm 

For those familiar with Cerro Gordo ghost town, located in the southern Inyo Range of Inyo, County California (and a short distance outside of Death Valley National Park), you may or may not know of a spectacular 4x4 trail that runs from the valley floor at the ghost town of Swansea, up to the historic site of Burgess Mine, then along the 9,000 foot high spine of the Inyo Range with dramatic views of the Sierra Nevada to the west and the Saline Valley and Death Valley highlands to the east. It crosses the historic salt tramway of the Saline Valley salt works, it's 13 mile long tramway was a wonder in the early 20th century as it climbed straight up the Inyo Range then dropped back down the other side to the transfer works to the old narrow gauge railroad that once ran down here from near Carson City. The trail ends at the ghost town of Cerro Gordo, where you can drop down to either Death Valley National Park or Owens Valley.

The primary trail page, with all history and route description is found at - http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/swansea.html

This evening, I just uploaded a companion page, a photo essay of all my travels over the trail over the years. Little text, emphesis on the photos. That page is found at - http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/swans ... essay.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 am 

Great read!!! That will take care of the Oct. or early Nov. camping trip. Just have to pick the weekend now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:26 am 

famgeo wrote:
Great read!!! That will take care of the Oct. or early Nov. camping trip. Just have to pick the weekend now.

I strongly suggest as early as possible due to snow. November is too late, in my opinion, unless it turns out that early winter is dry this year. Late October can also push the window of opportunity; although any snowfall will be likely light (less than a foot). Elevations are up to 9,200 feet, and much of the road along the crest over 9,000 feet. In the 35 years I've lived in the area, I've seen it snow every month of the year in the mountain ranges. And bring your cold weather camping gear and clothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:24 pm 

That is interesting info you are posting, but since this isn't an actual event you are organizing, I wonder if it belongs in a different section, such as "Trail Guide & Resource", for example.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 pm 

Maybe next weekend would be good. Is a three day weekend enough time to do some good exploring around there?
David A. Wright wrote:
famgeo wrote:

I strongly suggest as early as possible due to snow. November is too late, in my opinion, unless it turns out that early winter is dry this year. Late October can also push the window of opportunity; although any snowfall will be likely light (less than a foot). Elevations are up to 9,200 feet, and much of the road along the crest over 9,000 feet. In the 35 years I've lived in the area, I've seen it snow every month of the year in the mountain ranges. And bring your cold weather camping gear and clothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:20 pm 

cruiser97 wrote:
That is interesting info you are posting, but since this isn't an actual event you are organizing, I wonder if it belongs in a different section, such as "Trail Guide & Resource", for example.

I wasn't sure what topic it fit under. If a moderator wishes to move this thread, I have no qualms about it. Being new to this forum I'm still learning it's layout and culture.

Last edited by David A. Wright on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:22 pm 

famgeo wrote:
Maybe next weekend would be good. Is a three day weekend enough time to do some good exploring around there?

Yes. The trail can be done in a day. I've overnighted once on it, the rest of the time were day trips. If you start at Swansea by 9:00 AM, you can easily get to Cerro Gordo by 3:45 to 4:00 PM or so, even with stops for photos, lunch, etcetera.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 am 

Could this be a club run? If not, lets make it a fun run.

Marla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 pm 

This would make a very fun run!! We just got back from exploring the area. It is amazing up there!! We started out on the Swansea Cerro Gordo Road but turned back early due to a late start and only having one vehicle. We headed back to the Yellow Grade Road and went up to the mine. The views from up there are beautiful. We met the owner and a few others that were doing some work on the buildings and they were all very friendly and gave a lot of interesting information. From the town we thought we would head over to the salt tram but turned back early again because we were the only ones out there. I would definitely suggest going with more than one vehicle. I guess it is a 4 hour trip up the Swansea way and looks like a lot of fun. Here's some photos of the day http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww33 ... ness_2009/
I would really like to head back up there before winter gets here. If anybody is interested in making the trip, let me know. I also have the owners e-mail address to let him know people are coming. The e-mail from the Cerro Gordo Mine, http://www.cerrogordo.us/index.html, is full and they never seem to be around the phone so getting hold of them is kind of hard to do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:19 pm 

Just to let those here know: Mike Patterson, long time Cerro Gordo owner and resident, died of heart problems this morning. I don't have details as yet.

As to the fate of Cerro Gordo, Mike has hired a guide and caretaker in the recent past when he started having to go to San Bernardino for treatment. The road up the Yellow Grade is an Inyo County maintained road, so I presume that will remain open. As for Cerro Gordo itself, I have no idea of its future.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:04 am 

David A. Wright wrote:
Just to let those here know: Mike Patterson, ... died of heart problems this morning.....

That’s a bummer, :( he wasn’t that old. Well guess he will be happy to see his wife.

I think I’ve only been up to CC once since Jodie passed. The day I was there Mike was down the hill then, so I haven’t talked to him in almost 15 years. :(

I hope CC becomes the dream that was envisioned.

Thanks Dave and no more bad news, OK :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:59 pm 

Yes, I knew both Mike and Jody for many years. It's sad to see them go. There's a bench next to Jody's grave. I'm sure soon we'll see Mike's grave next to Jody's and we'll be able to sit on that bench, see their graves side by side and see Cerro Gordo - their shared dream - in the background.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 pm 

Wow....that's too bad. I met him last month while I was up there exploring. He was a nice guy and seemed in good health. I'm sorry to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:45 pm 

Looks like Cerro Gordo is still open to visitors........http://www.deathvalley.com/dv/index.php ... &Itemid=76
David A. Wright wrote:
Just to let those here know: Mike Patterson, long time Cerro Gordo owner and resident, died of heart problems this morning. I don't have details as yet.

As to the fate of Cerro Gordo, Mike has hired a guide and caretaker in the recent past when he started having to go to San Bernardino for treatment. The road up the Yellow Grade is an Inyo County maintained road, so I presume that will remain open. As for Cerro Gordo itself, I have no idea of its future.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:18 pm 

A group of volunteers have swiftly taken over the day to day care of Cerro Gordo for the time being. See http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/ for more details. The Cerro Gordo website is being taken care of by the Vargo's, owners of the Explore Historic California website.