Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mitchell book
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 pm 

anyone else have issues with this book?

Beth and I decided at the last minute to check out the trail in the Southern Nevada book that describes the Yellow Pine Mine.

We found that almost none of the descriptions in the book were accurate at all. It tells you to set your trip meter to 0.0, and then it talsk abotu a road branching, at say, 1.8 miles, but it forks at .2 miles, and then climbs one HELL of a class III road (which was in the book, but not where it said it was), that made a good case for lockers and a wide stance for a Jeep.

It was dumb luck that we actually found what we went looking for.

The book is neat for all the historical stuff, but if I was relying on it for directions in the middle of nowhere...no thanks.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 am 

No real issues yet, but I also know how to get to most of the places he covers and don't use their directions much. I have read a few that didn't sound right from memory.

But I know what you mean about some peoples directions.

That's why I like the way the guy that runs www.hikinglasvegas.com does his hikes. You can literally stand in the same spot he did when he took a reference photo. If I ever get around to making a site dedicated to listing trails, I plan on using his format. Might even get me a GPS camera too :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject: Re: Mitchell book
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 am 

I own three of Roger's latest SUV series books (but don't have his Nevada books yet). I have a love/hate relationship with them. I mention them often on my webpage as reference material to my readers, but I have issues with the books.

* At critical junctures, he often sidetracks into a 3-page diatribe on natural history. Then when he resumes discussion about the trail, he's jumped ahead to some other point, leaving you hanging about where to turn, or whatever. Very frustrating on the trail when you're at a point where you don't know which way to go.

* His mileage and mine don't correspond in many cases. I compare my odometer readings with GPS tracking readings and measurements on topographic map software before I mention distance on my webspages and my three readings correspond, but his don't.

* His books do make for great fodder to get out and explore for yourself the areas he writes about.

* For natural history buffs, his descriptions make the trail experience that much better.

* He's referenced my works and has them listed in his bibliographies. So I guess he can't be all that bad ... :wink:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 am 

GaryB wrote:
No real issues yet, but I also know how to get to most of the places he covers and don't use their directions much. I have read a few that didn't sound right from memory.

But I know what you mean about some peoples directions.

That's why I like the way the guy that runs http://www.hikinglasvegas.com does his hikes. You can literally stand in the same spot he did when he took a reference photo. If I ever get around to making a site dedicated to listing trails, I plan on using his format. Might even get me a GPS camera too :wink:

Gary, that's a problem with a lot of trail books.

I know photos can probably add significantly to the production cost of the book, but if you're out the boonies, you NEED not just GPS coordinates and a description, but some shots of landmarks where the GPS is so you can at least SEE where you are.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject: Re: Mitchell book
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm 

we did yellow pine last month and we did it straight from the book we got there fine.

ARB bumper, X9, IPFxsd900, DeMello sliders, AP rear plate bumper