Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Tires
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hi everybody. I was hoping to get some opinions from local jeepers on good tires for my JK (315/70/17) I was thinking of the BFG TA KOs but have read that they are not the best for rocks, snow, water, etc. I need a tire that can do MOAB, Utah snow, our desert area, and handle the floodwaters when it rains without hydroplaning. All that and I want a tire that will still let me hold a conversation with my wife and kids while on the road.

Does such a tire exist? My Jeep is a 2013 with a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift.

Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: New Tires
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm 

I put BFG KMs (Mud Terrain) on my JK, loved the tire off road. And then, one day it rained. Second scariest tire I ever drove in the rain (first was a high performance tire I installed on my Lightning). In the rain, the KM would spin the tires at 50, slide across lanes when turning at intersections and stop . . . eventually. I trashed them after 2000 miles and put on the KOs (All terrain).

Love the tire so far, 6500 miles on them. They have done well for me in the desert, over rocks, shale, light mud, up/down waterfalls and drive great in the rain. I have only tried them in light snow, no problem there. I purchased the KO specifically for trips were I might encounter snow, say to CO, for driving in rain, and of course off road, where most of the 6500 miles have been accumulated (or driving to/from home/trail). It is not a special purpose tire, but I wanted a multi-purpose tire that copes well in most situations. The tire is quiet on the road. I would buy this tire again.

Now I've jinxed myself......

Post subject: Re: New Tires
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer Goodyear MTR's. Great traction all around. The only problem I have had in wet weather is when it first starts raining. All the oil in the road , you may slip a little. But this will happen with any tire. With all the rain we are having right now, there has been no issue since the oil has been washed away.

As for the noise, if the tires are properly rotated, the noise level will remain low.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition