Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 am 

Hi everybody. I, along with my family just registered on your site and are planning on making the June night event

Here is my situation: we just sold our 08 unlimited witha 2.5" lift and 33s and bought a 2013 unlimited with the 3.73 gears. I want to lift it and put larger tires on it but have researched online to the point of mass confusion. What is a good set up for the area? 33 s or 35s? Basic lift with no arms or do I need more?

We are new to offloading with a jeep and could use help. I have done the sand rail, quad, motorcycle, etc but never a street mobile

Thanks for any input

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

While I am by no means an expert about JK's, I would have to say leave it as it is for now. As you have said, you are new to the world of Jeeps. Your Jeep came with 32" tires if I am correct. It will more than capable of doing 90% of our runs right now. You should figure out what kind of runs that you prefer (trails or rock crawling) then build accordingly.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 am 

I used to have a Suzuki Sidekick, and it only had 28" tires. This was more than sufficient for all club runs, so you will be fine with what you have for now.

I agree with Bob - try it out, and see what you think. If you come on a club run, you'll also get to see about a bazillion different kinds of setups, and can ask people what they like, and dislike, about what they have. There are always tradeoffs to any setup, so finding out what people don't like about their setup is just about as important as finding what they do like.

Welcome to the club!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 pm 

Bushfamily5 wrote:
Hi everybody. I, along with my family just registered on your site and are planning on making the June night event

Here is my situation: we just sold our 08 unlimited witha 2.5" lift and 33s and bought a 2013 unlimited with the 3.73 gears. I want to lift it and put larger tires on it but have researched online to the point of mass confusion. What is a good set up for the area? 33 s or 35s? Basic lift with no arms or do I need more?

We are new to offloading with a jeep and could use help. I have done the sand rail, quad, motorcycle, etc but never a street mobile

Thanks for any input

Jeff

Hi Jeff...
do not waste your money on a lift ....32" tires will fit with no lift
I have owned an 08 JK and took it to Moab 3 times with no issues
the 2013 I have has not been to Moab yet....but it will have zero issues when we go.

drive what you have ....get used to it
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 pm 

I'd like to echo a couple comments, in that you don't need to lift and go larger on tires until you get very used to the vehicle. I have a '11 JK Sport Unlimited which came with 32's. I've taken it on a couple rather difficult runs, and have found that except for climbing over large rocks,I can get just about anywhere without much trouble. It is mainly about knowing how to drive the vehicle. The thing I really like about this club is that peope will unselfishly share and help. Look foward to meeting you on tha June run.

2020 JLU Rubicon
33" BFG KO2's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 pm 

If I'm not mistaken can't the JK fit 35's with a flat fender conversion?