Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-Gearing my axles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 pm 

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to re-gear my axles but can't afford the labor to have someone else install them. I'm confident in my abilities but it would be nice to talk to someone who has done it themselves before. So if anyone has done it in the past and would like to share their knowledge, I'd be happy to sit down and buy you a couple of beers while I pick your brain. PM me if you can.

1995 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, 5-speed
Axle Specs:
Front: Dana 30, 3.55 Gear Ratio, Aussie Locker installed (managed to do that on my own) and Rear Dana 35, 3.55, Stock Track Loc
Currently running 32's

Want to intall 4.56, I know I will need a new Dana 30 Carrier so if you have one for sale that will accomodate 4.56 gears please let me know and No I will not hold anyone accountable for any advice given, this project is all on me and looking forward to it. :)

Thanks,

Oliver

Post subject: Re: Re-Gearing my axles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:33 am 

I've never done a ring and pinion install, but there are several threads on jeepforum.com (the CJ section, I don't have a YJ) and if I recall, a couple of the guys were first timers.
But with the Dana 30, your looking at $400 in parts alone, with the ring and pinion, master install kit and a new carrier, personally, I have the same gears but once I started looking at parts cost,I decided I could wait for a Dana 44 front and spend the gear money on a stronger axle.
I picked up a Dana 44 rear end with 4.27:1 and a Detroit locker for $75 on craig's list, before I Realized I couldn't gear the Dana 44 to higher than 3.93:1 while keeping the Detroit locker, and the Dana 30 needs a new carrier to gear lower than 3.54:1, with the cost of regearing both axles to 3.93:1 it's Just not worth the money to keep the Dana 30.
If your happy with your Dana 30 I would buy a Dana 30 that already has the gears you want, transfer your lunch box locker (if the new axle doesn't already have one), put the spiders back in you original axle, and sell it to reduce your front end expenses.
Also don't be afraid to look at TJ and XJ axles, you can strip the brackets easily with a grinder and a sawzall, leaf spring perches are cheap and even if you don't weld it would be cheap to have that done.
Here is the first Dana 30 ad I found on Craig's list, from a YJ, 4.10:1, $250, Good luck, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2788937914.html