Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aux. lighting...
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 pm 

So I'll qualify this by owning up to being a dummy right up front! Am getting a custom front bumper built for my TJ and picked up a couple of Daylights to mount on it once it's powdercoated and ready to mount up.

I picked up a pair as a kit and then a third light to add. I'm assuming I need an additional wiring harness for the third light? I'm a little paranoid about electrical stuff and seems like an easy enough job but I'm a little worried about dorking something up. Would be willing to offer up some beer and pizza or something if anyone's got an hour or so to spare to help me out!

Post subject: Re: Aux. lighting...
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 pm 

This may help you out http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=621 .
I recently installed 2 pair of KC Hilites, plus a small Wal-Mart pair on a rack atop
my Xterra. Using the directions from the above.

If I were to do it again, I would do it differently. The inline fuse holder from the battery
is for 32 volts as is the fuse holder inside the vehicle. If the lights that you purchased have relays and instructions state the relays must be close to the battery, that maybe why he choose to do it this way. So, you may need some extra parts.

The lights today are not like they were back in the day. All that was needed then was 2 wires a switch, a fuse and a light. They are much more complicated now, at least the ones I got.

Unless someone more qualified then I steps up, let me know when you can stop by and I will do my best to make myself available. I live by Sam's Town.

Best regards, Charlie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 pm 

Charlie,
Thanks for the advice/offer. Did a little research to confirm that I'll need an additional harness to run the third light so I'll probably pick it up this weekend a 4 Wheel Parts or something. My TJ is a 99 so I think the electrical stuff isn't quite as complicated as the newer models, like I said I'm just paranoid I'm going to dork something up!

Again appreciate the time though. I'm hoping to have the bumper done and coated by next week so I'm shooting for next weekend to mount the lights.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:36 pm 

Well,

I added two sets of KC lights to the front (two on the bull bar, and two on the windshield pillars) plus a set of KC's to the back bumper for lighting up the campsite, etc at night. To do this I simply added an extra fuse block and 3 relays to run the switches and lights. If you need help, or just someone to do it or help, let me know. If you just want to see what I did, I can send pictures.

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 am 

Travis,
Thanks for the input. I'm stilling waiting for the bumper to be finished but in the meantime I think I might mount the Daylighters on the windsheild. I'm assuming it will require some drilling? Im going to pick up the mounts this weekend I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm 

Since I'm not familiar with Jeeps anymore, is your alternator up to the added stress of the lights? I know a friend had a 1980 FJ40 and we put two KC Daylighters on it. We ran them one night and when we got back to his house, we found out we overstressed the battery and almost blew it up. We then found out the alternator was not heavy enough to run the Daylighters and it would need a beefier alternator. Like I said, I don't know about the newer vehicles, but this is something else you may have to consider.