Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clunk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:08 am 

Hi,
Can someone tell me what might be making a clunking noise right underneath the drivers feet? Since my jeep was lifted it occasionally has a clunk but then goes away after I get started. Looked underneath it and found nothing, but then again, don't really know what I'm looking for. Thanks

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin

Post subject: Re: Clunk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:47 am 

When exactly does it clunk? Can you make it clunk or does it do it when you say, apply the brakes, let go of the brakes and accelerate, come to a stop...try to narrow down the things that go on leading up to the clunk. Only things under the driver's feet that I can think of is the front driveshaft and control arms. It may be radiating from somewhere else giving you a false sense it's coming from under your feet.

Did you try to shake things down like the driveshaft or control arms? See if there is anything loose or hanging? Is it a heavy clunk or a higher pitched clunk?

Hard to say what it could be, but if you can get some more details, it might help put you in the right direction :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 pm 

The clunk happens when ever I accelerate for about the first 20 feet or so and again when I'm offroad. I'd say it's a heavy clunk. I'm new at this, so bare with me, when I lifted my jeep should I have bought control arms? :oops:
Thanks so much!

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:11 pm 

try the easy stuff first, check the control arms for loose bolts and check the wear in the control arm bushings. I ended up replacing control arms due to worn bushings clunking. Also look for broken engine/trany mounts and such. better to find something in the driveway than on the trail or worse, coming back from the trail.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

What year is your Jeep??? Does it clunk only in 4wd or all the time??? It could be something as simple as u-joints in the front DS. It could also be too much play in the t-case. At this point, it is too hard to tell.

Give us some more specific info.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:29 pm 

K&TBaetz wrote:
The clunk happens when ever I accelerate for about the first 20 feet or so and again when I'm offroad. I'd say it's a heavy clunk. I'm new at this, so bare with me, when I lifted my jeep should I have bought control arms? :oops:
Thanks so much!

Does it clunk once or clunks repetitively as you drive? Does it happen as soon as you let off the brake or mor as you accelerate? Does it happen in 2WD and/or 4WD?

Maybe if your lift is 4" or so, aftermarket control arms would be better, but not a necessity. It helps in the geometry. So are you using the stock control arms then? It sounds like something loose. Try laying under your Jeep and grabbing a hold of things and giving them a shake down. You can put it in 4H and while your Jeep is on level ground and in park/gear if its stick, shut off, emergency brake off, use a foot on the tire and rock it back and forth so things bind and then rock back, and see if you can make it clunk. I've used that method before and found some noises my Jeep was making. You could also have someone rock it back and forth. The tranny in park/gear if its a stick, will hold the driveline still for the most part and put pressure on the driveshaft and control arms...making the control arms and driveshaft move when it reaches its binding/stopping limit. It is there you may find it to clunk. Worth a try anyway.

Do you have the stock track bar up front? How many miles on the Jeep?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:32 am 

It is a 97' TJ and has about 68k miles. The clunk happens when I accelerate from a stopped position for about the first 20 feet or so. Then again when offroad. I know it makes the noise when in 2wd, I will try today to see if it does it in 4wd also. Yes, I have factory control arms and stock track bar. Are those both items I should look into purchasing? It does have a 4" lift (3" suspension, 1" body).

George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:14 am 

With a 3" suspension lift, your factory stuff should be fine. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. With only 68K miles, the bushings should be good, maybe dry due to the age.

Are you off on weekends? I would take a look at it for you and see if we can find out what the issue is. I could look at it this Saturday early morning. Let me know and I'll PM you my address and phone number.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 pm 

That would be great! Saturday morning is fine, let me know what time and your address via pm. I really appreciate the help! :D

George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:29 pm 

Send me some directions Joe I can probably give you a hand if you want . :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:51 pm 

PM's sent to you K&TBaetz and to you too Bill. Thanks for the response...see you both tomorrow!!! :D Around 9ish would be good!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:55 pm 

I have nothing else to do, since there are no runs, id like to hang out and maybe give a hand .....PM your address if thats cool.

FZJ 80 series,UZJ 100 series,URJ 200 series

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:16 pm 

allan man wrote:
I have nothing else to do, since there are no runs, id like to hang out and maybe give a hand .....PM your address if thats cool.

Consider yourself, PMed!!! :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:51 pm 

Cool see you in the mornin....i"ll bring some donuts. :D

FZJ 80 series,UZJ 100 series,URJ 200 series