Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:36 pm 

I got bored last night so I decided to make my doors removable. :lol: Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting concept. Is the wife going to ride up to Ely with it like that? :lol:

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:24 pm 

She doesn't have to they lift off very easily. I'll just leave them at Genos if I don't want to run them. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm 

That's awesome, Bill...I like it, I like it a lot!!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:20 pm 

That's really cool Bill,,, I'd be interested to know how you did it !!! Please post some pix... Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:42 pm 

I've seen that done a few times before. I have even seen kits that put those safari type doors similar to the ones I've seen ran on the Wranglers.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:04 am 

!!!! dude put them back on till you get your cage installed !!!!!! the doors are a very big part of the uni-bodi structure... there is a weak space now...and the cab will fold like a taco... or you wont be able to get the doors to close.... so ive been told and heard.... why i have not takn mine off yet...waitn for the cage..and monnies..... or if it has been a while ..... how did it fair?!?! did you use the Half pin meathod?? im lookn at the half doors as well...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 am 

I've heard and read in many different places that the doors offer no structural benefit . So whats the real deal ? I did use the half pin method and it was very easy to do. I've only run it a couple times with the doors off and didn't notice anything change when I put them back on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm 

Bill wrote:
I've heard and read in many different places that the doors offer no structural benefit . So whats the real deal ? I did use the half pin method and it was very easy to do. I've only run it a couple times with the doors off and didn't notice anything change when I put them back on.

the XJ is "unibody" construction
you DO run the risk of bent frame then the doors will not fit.
:wink:

Quote:
Cherokees are unibody construction and the doors play an integral part in the structural stability of the entire framework. removing the doors creates more body flex which can easily result in distortion of the entire vehicle and not being able to properly mount doors again once you leave the trail.

If the XJ has had the unibody reenforced then yes, driving without the doors would be no major issue, but very few people actualy do this.

As far as choping down a set of doors, it would help retain structural design as well as aid in protecting your Jeep from catastrophic structural failure.

Quote:
Take your donor doors and remove the inside door panel, then remove all the window components. Once done, reinstall the door panel. If a mirror is installed, remove it. If you don’t use a mirror, OK, otherwise you’ll have to remount it or use an aftermarket mirror.

Take a saws all and cut the front and rear window support pillars flush with the bottom of the window opening on the door, effectively cutting the top of the door off. Depending on what door you use and where the mirror is mounted, you may have some problems cutting that area.

Now that the upper window frame is cut away from the door, you’ll have to clean up the openings that you just cut. Grind everything down flush. What I would recommend at this point, is to put a strip of fiberglass from door edge to door edge covering the cut off areas as well as the glass opening. They are areas where it is too easy to get fingers caught in. Use what ever you want. Duct tape might even work but could be punctured easily.

That will give you half doors, lighter than full, and a bigger top opening to get your poser shots taken.

If you have properly installed rock rails, you shouldn’t have any problems with your door alignment or body flex in that area.
:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

good rock rails help but the real fix is a body stiffener. take some tubeing and tie it into the rear leaf spring mount then take it to the rear mount for the lower front control arm. i've seen round tube used but personaly i think square tube works better. this stiffens the unibody and not only keeps the doors closeing right but will keep things from one day hingeing in the middle. i learned this trick from the jeepspeed guys who run fast and get air often in xj's. it works for them so should work for a trail/sometimes rock rig too.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???