Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiccups?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:52 am 

Hey all, Just throwing this out to see if anyone has had this.

Driving home from overton this happened twice.

2000 TJ, 75k miles, Due for oil and air filter, maybe plugs too.

65-70, 5th gear. Feels like engine dies for 1 sec and speedo acts like key was turned off but just for one sec then running fine. Has been at other times acting like a misfire and have at other times had some unusual idles (1200 rpm for a few secs then drops to normal) but goes away and runs great. no engine lights or codes. Is this a sensor going bad? Ignition? Or computer?

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:39 am 

did you do a tuneup at 60k?

also, my dash cluster dies sometimes, too. maybe get a new sending unit?

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Admin

That almost sounds like the problem Geno had with the old Grand. Maybe check with him. :?

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 pm 

Ok, so far...
Oil Changed, air filter cleaned and re-oiled, spark plugs changed, added gummout injector cleaner. 2 plugs looked about 2 or 3 oil changes overdue. Will drive it to work for next 2 days and observe.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm 
I know that era of TJs had an issue with the ground in the dash having problems, which could explain the gauge problems but I doubt it would have anything to do with the engine dying.
Could also be the crank position sensor. My Durango had similar issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 am 

I had some similar problems due to Idle Air Controller - but only happened when trying to idle ( stopping at lights it would die) or idle really high. Cleanded the IAC and ran some SeaFoam through it and problem went away. You could always try that - its a cheap fix since it only cost you a little time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:25 am 

My 94 did the same thing at first, then it got worse and would die out completely. It was the cranshaft positon sensor. All of those sensors are a pain, sometimes you just have to play trial and error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:19 am 

I've got the exact same issue, however with one added symptom...when my engine "dies" for that second, my check engine light will blink on and then right back off as the engine starts running smoothly again. Now, when I hit a bump on the road, I get that stutter in the engine.

The first two times this occurred I had the cruise control engaged, and when the engine did it's thing, the cruise shut down completely. I've found out that this means the cruise is working properly.

In addition to the engine thing, while out on the trial in Logandale, my engine died completely on an obstacle. I was able to start it a few times and it sounded like it was running really lean, and eventually I wasn't able to start it at all. While running lean, I had throttle response with clutch depressed, but when I released the clutch, the engine would bog down and die as if it wasn't getting enough fuel. I've been driving standard transmissions since I was 10, so don't think it's operator error.

Once the sitting angle on the Jeep changed, I was able to start it up and drive off the obstacle, but eventually the engine died on me again, would not restart...until the sitting angle changed again. The second time through this I called it a day and drove back to pavement. I mean, two extractions in one day.....REALLY!

Drove it home w/o any major issues, but on the larger bumps in the road (I-15 S into Vegas) the engine would do it's stutter thing.

So far I've come up with the following possibilities, but if anyone has any further info, I'd be really greatful for the assist!!!

- Fuel Filter
- Fuel lines - possibly pinched / disconnected
- Crank case position sensor
- MAS air flow sensor
- Connection on fuel pump

Also, I'm really interested in tracking this issue down myself, but would need a garage and tools if someone can help with that this weekend (23, 24, 25, 26 Feb).

Frog

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

99 Wrangler Sahara
4" Pro Comp SA, Goodyear MT/R 33's
Slip-yoke Elim, CV drive shaft, 4.56 gears
Sunrider Softtop, Satellite Radio, Garmin 760 GPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:48 pm 

After reading through the Hanes manual for the Jeep...there isn't a fuel filter on TJ's after 1997. On the 99's, the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump, which is inside the gas tank.

Wheee... :cry:

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

99 Wrangler Sahara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:48 pm 
Hey Frog,

Not sure if you found a place to work on your Jeep yet, but you can use my place if you need to. Have a 3 car garage and unless you need a really specialized tool, I have a fairly decent selection of tools. I am open Sunday, Mon and possibly Tues.
Let me know.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm 

I guess I'd leave checking the fuel filter for last.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:04 am 

does your jeep throw any codes at you through the odometer? I forget how you get it to do that. there's gotta be a write-up somewhere on codes, how to get them and what they mean.

I mean before you go to the trouble of dropping your gas tank.

I thought I read somewhere that the TJs fuel filter was inside the gas tank because it was designed never to be changed out? could be wrong. :oops:

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject: hiccups
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:48 am 

the trouble codes and the process to obtain is under "offroad tips and tricks".
rubi bob posted it and it is what i used to trouble shoot an idling problem.
my throttle sensor was not working. the auto zone on rainbow and charleston has a clerk named richard who knew exactly what part i needed.
sean replaced it in 15 minutes, and i've had no other issues.
the code will normally erase within so many miles of fixing the problem or you can disconnect the battery and "reboot" the computor.
the haynes manual has a section on codes and their meaning. 6-10 to 6-15.
hope this narrows down the problem.
the weather is to good to have your jeep parked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:05 pm 

Had a similar problem with mine and the fault codes pointed to the TPS. I wasn't as lucky as Beth since it went out about 30 miles south of Mesquite. But I had read about these sensor things so I had a spare.

Remember when part of the troubleshooting kit contained sandpaper in case the points needed a mid trip adjustment?

12 Tacoma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:39 am 

Here's an update after a day of wrenching spent under the hood at Brian's:

We started at AutoZone for their free diagnostic and code puller, but no joy. There wasn't a code.

:oops: I should have figured that one out myself since I'd already determined that the engine was dieing, meaning that the "check engine" light was the typical self-test lamp that comes on when you turn the key. As the key was already in the "run" position and I'm driving a standard, it would compression re-start the engine as I was rolling down the road.

We got under the hood then and did the general maintenance type stuff, cleaned the battery terminals, check the distributor and rotor, etc. Ended up replacing the distributor and rotor as they were showing signs of wear and it was a cheap fix. Unfortunately that didn't stop the stutter.

Next, we kept the engine running and started pushing and pulling everything under the hood until the engine died again. Using this method we tracked the issue to the wiring harness that runs between aft of the rocker cover and the firewall. Seems there was some type of short. Once we'd turned off the radio. By manipulating the wire harness, we could hear it disconnect and then reconnect, triggering the relay and pressurizing the fuel pump. With the key in the "run" position, it was possible to trigger the relay and the fuel pump repeatedly by manipulating the harness.

Unfortunately with all the wiring loom in place, we couldn't tell if the short was on the passenger's side or the driver's side, so we pulled off all of that loom to reach the wires individually. Strangely enough, with all the loom pulled off, we couldn't get the engine to die again manipulating the wires individually, or in entirety once the loom was off. After a quick trip to PepBoys, AutoZone, and finally Lowes, we got some 1" loom and tied everything back together.

:wink: As it stands now, we have chased the gremlin back into hiding for the time being, and it's only going to be a lot of bumping, splashing, and 4-wheelin' that might bring him back out. Right now the Jeep runs great! :D

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

99 Wrangler Sahara