Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saying hello!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:20 am 

Hello there,

I'm Sully! I'm not a member of the Nevada Backroaders currently -- in fact I'm not even really sure how to join up! I've read through a lot of the posts and such here, but it wasn't clear to me.

Little background info on me:

I'm a 35 year old computer programmer. I'm a COMPLETE novice with any kind of off-roading or 4-wheel drive. I didn't grow up with anyone that did it, have never worked on my own cars, etc. I recently purchased a 2009 Subaru Forester XT, and it has sparked a great interest for me. I've been learning about the basics of repair and maintenance, and have gotten very interested in doing some outdoor adventuring!

A few weeks ago (more or less the day after I bought the vehicle) I took it up to Mt Charleston and drove around Mack Canyon with my family, and we all had a great time!

I've been looking into clubs in the area that seem like they would be accepting of a pretty inexperienced member-- I hope I have found that with you all! I'd love to continue learning, exploring, and adventuring; particularly as I'm just starting out would greatly prefer the safety and shared experience of going out with some folks that "know what they are doing!"

I've got a list of modifications I ultimately would like to make to the car, starting with some better all-terrain tires, a modest 2" lift, and some skid plates; as much as possible, I'm going to try and learn and do the work myself.

Hope to see you all soon!
Sully

Post subject: Re: Saying hello!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to our Message Board. The easiest way to become a member is to come out on a run with us. A couple of us have the needed paperwork for new members to join. There is a run coming up on the 26th. Your vehicle should have no problem on Mormon Well.

Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm 

Hi Sully, welcome to the board. Don't worry about being a novice or never done something like this; we'll be glad to help you along and provide any advice about the subject. Mormon Well Rd is easy, if you feel like there's an area that you may not feel comfortable with, we are there to get you through it. You'll find that we post trail runs of the month on the message board for everyone to view. Feel free to explore around the message board. Although some of the dates of subjects may seem a few years old; the information with in it is helpful. If plan to join us for the Aug run don't be worried about having items on the list of things you need; we understand its the first time. All of our runs do run most of the day so we stop for a lunch break, so bring a lunch and drinks for yourself.

Have a wonderful day
hope to see ya on the trail.

Fox 2.0 shox's
ProComp wheels & tires
Artic Camo wrap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 pm 

I wasn't able to make it on the August run, but I'm hoping to do so this month. I've got some upgraded wheels and tires on the Forester now, and just got some skid plates in the mail that I'll be installing soon also.